Sets [CNS] Conspiracy Spoilers

we have dack and something name 'brago' or something

H7dIzqm.jpg

Legendary Creature - Spirit, 2WU, 2/4
Flying
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile any number of target nonland permanents you control, then return those cards to the battlefield under their owner's control.

dack for those who missed it somehow in the other thread:
jkaskjldamnwsd9sdk2d_EN.jpg

There was a Dack thread? I thought that was just some guy named ahadabans rambling on incoherently about how much he dislikes Planeswalkers.

:)

Do this guy is sort of interesting. I like blink enablers. And I'm not in love with my UW section, so maybe. I wish he had different stats though. 3/3 or something.

I already run Galepowder and I'm a fan personally. But yeah this new dude is very similar now that you point it out. Do I want both of them? Or is just one enough? I don't know.

Here's a mockup and the other cards so far:
breigokingofeternity.jpg
magisterofworth1.jpg
cogworklibrarian1.jpg

Breigo and Galepowder don't quite do the same things though... galepowder also murders your opponent's tokens, gives something wrath-proofness, and keeps a blocker out of the way; Breigo is pretty much strictly ETB refreshes that also gives your non-token attackers vigilance, but can hit non-creatures, which is pretty powerful. Resets your walkers, living weapons, and o-ring effects, among other things.

I'm excited to try cogwork librarian, double-picking can be so powerful.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
As a "multiplayer focused" set I'm not too hopeful, but Dack is clearly in no way "multiplayer focused" so you never know.

CML

Contributor
I already run Galepowder and I'm a fan personally. But yeah this new dude is very similar now that you point it out. Do I want both of them? Or is just one enough? I don't know.

i dunno, galepowder is pretty low-power over here (though it does go well with birthing pod), but i imagine there are cubes that want both, one, or neither

I know it's not exactly insightful or anything but I just watched a few cube games with these and other unreleased cards... a bant midrange deck just want
Hierarch
Blade splicer
Breigo
Venser (PW), unblockable team, breigo flickers splicer and venser, venser flickers splicer, pass.

While unblockable 12 on 5 isn't anything superb it was just neat to see so much value.

i dunno, galepowder is pretty low-power over here (though it does go well with birthing pod), but i imagine there are cubes that want both, one, or neither

Galepowder's power IMO is his flexibility. He's what I want when I want it. If I need to 86 a blocker or kill a token, he does that for me. If he needs to enable some ETB shenanigans, he can do that. He even gets my control magic'd creatures back. He's just really cool. And 3/3 flying for 4 a bit underpowered, but it's not awful either.

Now the new UW version does less damage and it has to deal damage first (both of which sucks), but it can hit more permanent types (and more than one) so the combo potential seems higher. Then again, I don't run walkers (which is clearly a big appeal to reset those) and I can't hit my opponents dudes, so he is a lot more narrow IMO. I don't know how I feel about this dude.

CML

Contributor
sometimes he's just a 3/3 for 4 though

i like galepowder and i think it fits most places

Am I the only one that finds the art on Galepowder Mage deeply unsettling?..... why does that bird he's riding have two corks instead of a torso?... and no head?

PETA would probably have some serious problems with our kithkin friend here; if that isn't animal cruelty, then I don't know what is..

I never looked that closely at the picture until just now. It is disturbing. Like he's riding a beheaded bird with two stumps where it's two heads used to be.

On a related note, I really dislike most of the art from Lorwyn.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I love Lorwyn. Who doesn't love beautiful, classic art pieces like these?

...thank God the Lorwyn Five didn't use this art style. At this point, people barely even remember they debuted in Lorwyn!

Game-Trail changeling is a weird pet card of mine... when I first started playing magic (ROE, so not long ago) the first cube I was dunked into was basically Lorwyn block with some other stuff. Being a noobie doobie (or whatever it is people say these days) I drafted 3 of the 'tribal' equipment and some changelings. This guy came in, picked all that junk up and beat for 11 or something, trampling over for lethal.

Whenever I see one in someone's trade binder I try to get it. I have a small pile of them now.

I prefer darker / more realistic art myself. Lorwyn had a very cartoony feel to it and I just didn't like it.

It's actually why I run Geist-Honored Monk over Cloudgoat Ranger. I find the art on the ranger to be so much worse than the monk that I'd rather run a slightly worse card just so I don't have to look at it.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, I'm one of the few who prefers the goofy, less serious art style of Lorwyn. It was a refreshing change from the Marvel comics-merged-with-fantasy style that permeates most of the modern sets nowadays. I know I'm in the minority, but I enjoy it when most of the cards in my deck depict some sort of comic relief, as opposed to a big, macho army soldier clubbing someone over the head while flexing his considerable biceps. The sales numbers don't agree with me, though, so I know not to get my hopes up too high.

Jeeez.... I could stare at Secluded Glen all day..... I actually find a lot of the theros art totally mindblowing..

crib swap is actually one of my favorite arts because it shows something honestly pretty messed up happening

i like about half the lorwyn art a LOT and the other half i really really really dislike