Community Project: 4-at-a-time Battlecruiser Cube

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I thought it was about time we did another community cube here at Riptide.

This was all inspired by the MTGO Legendary Cube (ver 2.0) as it allows for large splashy plays, silly buildaround cards and light removal. Since wizards retired it early, it could be safe to say that we could never see it again. It did have its problems and I was hoping we could make something similar but more refined.

Cubetutor Link is Here

I will be updating it as soon as I can with whatever people have input so you can get an idea of what themes and curves look like. We will probably aiming for 360 cards at this point, we can always change it later.

I have some general rules/guidelines that I would like to adhere to, otherwise it might end up as a normal cube.
  • No removal at CMC < 3 (unless super conditional or induces card disadvantage). This makes less feelbads with the large splashy plays.
  • No artifact ramp at CMC < 3. Feel these would be too high picks otherwise. Green should be the ramp colour.
  • No more than 6 creatures CMC < 3 for each colour. This is subject to change. Aim for setup or manasinks, 'Think Ashling the Pilgrim over Goblin Guide'
  • No Planeswalkers. Let's try for something different.
  • No obvious GRBS. I don't want stuff like Umezawa's Jitte, Opposition, Treachery etc.
That should be enough to let people know the kind of environment feel I am after. So anything cool that you use in commander or some unloved cube cards that can't make the cut in your cutthroat cube are welcome to be added. In the early stages we can throw in what we want, later on though we should try and reinforce themes that we can see.
I may also ask you to change a card you submitted if it breaches any of the above restraints. Can't have people breaking the rules can we. ;)

I have started the cube off with double bouncelands as this allows you to have early plays all the while giving you the mana sources to go into the late game. I am looking for suggestions as to what other land cycles to put in and I will make a vote later once some cards have gone in.
Once it is all finished I may put to a vote some of the cards I feel don't belong and we can change them to make the cube a more coherent machine.

How to Contribute:
So now that all the design restraints have been talked about how can you help build this cube? Simple! Just post 4 cards using the card image tags. You can choose to explain your additions or not, it is up to you. Make sure you are not double posting. I would prefer if there was two other submissions before your previous submission, just so then two people don't build the cube by themselves.

I'll start off to give people an idea:

Want to try a spell theme. Blast of Genius should be good with the overall high CMC that the cube should have. Threw in Compulsive Research as something to do early game. Unsure what sort of card filtering is needed early game. Someone else can figure that out. :p

If we're going to have red do something that isn't all out aggro, this seems hella sweet.

The prospect of playing this with bounce lands is also sweet.

Same concept. Also, is just a reasonable early game filler card

Are we doing actual legendary cube, or more of a dragon cube? obviously this is questionable in a legendary cube, but its probably my favorite card to resolve in edh

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Are we doing actual legendary cube, or more of a dragon cube? obviously this is questionable in a legendary cube, but its probably my favorite card to resolve in edh

Yeah, more of a dragon cube. I like to call them Battlecruiser games, as they are big and slow. Same thing really.

Pretty happy with the adds so far. I noticed that Ichor Slick actually breaks the rule for removal (costs 3) but seems situation enough and is sorcery that I am happy for it to stay in. Cycling seems like a good thing to put in the cube, gives you something to do early game and get to the right spells for the critical 4-6 turns.

I really love the Well, beyond what would be sane or healthy for me as an individual. Forgive me, star children. (And it's totally an accident that the rest are all enchantments which provide life incidentally... complete, total accident...)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Enchantments and lifegain you say?

Blind Obedience may be a big strong but we'll see. Can always change it out in the end.

Goal is to turn on your Demonic Pact and kill it with creature removal. Seems tech.

Big, evasive and makes everybody get their dead stuff back (to your advantage).
A big guy that brings a friend or another object. I like it.
Can completely swing the game in your favor.
A way to deal with some bombs.

I do feel like we need a little bit of glue to make this cube functional

Also, I realize that providing ramp in green could be questionable. While its pretty integral to green's game plan, it seems like it could be very strong in a cube like this. Borderland ranger is probably a better option since it just smooths land drops, but if we're doing constellation, fertile ground seems too sweet to not put in.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
mmm

Speaking of big spells.
I did say no Planeswalkers. This one might be low power and or interesting enough to leave in. I'm trying to think of anything that has a similar ability, but there isn't anything that lets you fork for 0 mana.

How else am I supposed to copy Enduring Ideal on 7 mana? :rolleyes: I think utility walkers that don't spam tokens or dominate the game are probably fine in this kind of environment. Walkers are just enchantments that can be attacked anyway.

This goes with Gifts Ungiven. Also, there should be plenty of juicy targets in a format like this.

Drawing cards is good. This also works with gifts.

It's an enchantment that gains life, an early body, and a decent thing to repeatedly reanimate with Starfield. Also, sometimes it's secretly an eight drop.

This card is sweet, and also works with Rites/Starfield.

Eidolon because, duh
Narset because SHENANIGANS
Hide // Seek because fun police
Vengeance because I'm trash and have always wanted to win games off of it

re: planeswalkers, I originally proposed excluding them entirely, but I think it might actually be worthwhile to allow maybe a super-duper select few. Something like Chandra, the Firebrand seems fine if everyone else thinks it doesn't do too much harm to the environment, because she's pretty low-powered and doesn't shit tokens (I also want to double Sorin's Vengeance, hahah see you in Hell nerds).

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member

Living Lore for the spell theme and a hope of living Biorhythm.
Trying to bleed the enchantment theme to black, as I don't know what black is doing at this point.
Got to try for some terrible two card combos right? I heard the Chimera likes the Well