General Custom Cards: The Lab

To be clear "protecting trademark" is not "blackmail", it's a very established legal procedure. In the US at least, if you don't protect it you lose it. I don't know what agreement they have about like "casually using it" that was referenced in the CC post, but otherwise yeah they have to protect it or they lose it altogether.

Pretty much this. If they don't protect it and can't plausibly claim to not know about the breach, that's basically an admission that their trade-dress has become generic (kinda like band-aid or jello). In other words, they have to move to protect their trademark, even if they don't actually care about the breach itself (for example, the fact that Nintendo waited as long as they did before moving to shut down AM2R kinda implies that some Nintendo exec liked the project and delayed the legal response for as long as possible).

I honestly suspect that this is the real reason why WotC employees aren't supposed to look at custom magic forums — if they hung around somewhere like this thread and saw our sick CC renders and heard people talk about how you could print them off on MPC, there would be legal issues if they didn't report that to their superiors. And that would hurt public good-will towards WotC, so it's better to just make it a matter of policy that you can't — that way, you can act shocked (shocked, I tell you!) when someone tells you about the stuff you already know about (but can legally claim that you didn't).

It's not like copyright, where it's up to the copyright holder to decide whether or not to go after you (and generally doesn't unless you're seriously pissing them off).

---

And, I mean... it also directly violates their fan content policy. Which... hey, it looks like CardConjuror literally just needs a written note from WotC saying that it's OK for them to operate. It shouldn't be that hard for them to get their hands on one, given the community backlash against mean ol' WotC.

(Fun fact: the fact that we have mana symbols as emoji technically violates the fan content policy, and WotC would be within their rights to shut us down for it. So no-one tell WotC! :p)

Those rules are terrible. They don’t work.

If I made something and profits from it. It should be in my right to let others copy me for as long as I see fit without me permanently losing any rights.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Copyright is notoriously bad for anyone without a kajillion dollars AND completely impenetrable.

What have I been makin recently...

02 Crashing Wave.png
This is a bounce spell I've had in my idea file for a decade (I'm sure you can tell via the keyword). I've always liked undo/withdraw, and this is almost certainly better (I think my initial idea was a sorcery) but I never really wanna pull my punches getting people to attack with blue creatures.

04 Hatewraith.png
I had this idea back when +1/+1 counters was 1/5 of the flagposts in my cube, and it lasted 1 draft before that archetype got cut entirely.
It was a heater though, not overpowered just a solid red 2, which I'm in desperate need of (Currently doubling up on Young Pyromancer, a Dragon Fodder custom, and a bloodtithe harvester custom)
I've got my reasons for all those doublings, and especially bloodtithe works better in multiples, but I'd still like more variety.

It's also refreshing to have a 2 drop that isn't a 3/1.
Despite a token theme, there's not THAT many random 1/1s just floating around but there's enough that you notice it.

07 Falkenrath War Priest.png
Maybe this is a bridge too far, but Judith has always been just like, a bit behind.
I'm noticing the blood artist grab bag the same way I noticed the burn spell grab bag.
-Any creature vs your creatures
-Has a relevant body
-Does something on a board where you don't have a sac outlet (Specifically talking about the pump here)
-Gains life
-Hits creatures (Sanguinary Priest, Goblin Sharpshooter)
etc etc

3 mana 2/2 is just not really a relevant body so much of the time (Possibly why a bunch of people prefer Mayhem Devil), but I do enjoy the pump.

Honestly I kinda just wanted both these abilities to work on all your creatures, rather than one being all your creatures, and one being nontoken creatures.

04 Red Moon Charm.png
So @Dom Harvey got me interested in Twinferno out of new dominaria, but that card just so rarely has text it's not really worth maindecking.
Also for a card so often bereft of text, why only let it copy your spells? Give me the occasional out to have it do something, right?

I've given threaten similar treatment to modest success, so I've got high hopes for this one.

Copyright is notoriously bad for anyone without a kajillion dollars AND completely impenetrable.

What have I been makin recently...

View attachment 7783
This is a bounce spell I've had in my idea file for a decade (I'm sure you can tell via the keyword). I've always liked undo/withdraw, and this is almost certainly better (I think my initial idea was a sorcery) but I never really wanna pull my punches getting people to attack with blue creatures.

View attachment 7784
I had this idea back when +1/+1 counters was 1/5 of the flagposts in my cube, and it lasted 1 draft before that archetype got cut entirely.
It was a heater though, not overpowered just a solid red 2, which I'm in desperate need of (Currently doubling up on Young Pyromancer, a Dragon Fodder custom, and a bloodtithe harvester custom)
I've got my reasons for all those doublings, and especially bloodtithe works better in multiples, but I'd still like more variety.

It's also refreshing to have a 2 drop that isn't a 3/1.
Despite a token theme, there's not THAT many random 1/1s just floating around but there's enough that you notice it.

View attachment 7785
Maybe this is a bridge too far, but Judith has always been just like, a bit behind.
I'm noticing the blood artist grab bag the same way I noticed the burn spell grab bag.
-Any creature vs your creatures
-Has a relevant body
-Does something on a board where you don't have a sac outlet (Specifically talking about the pump here)
-Gains life
-Hits creatures (Sanguinary Priest, Goblin Sharpshooter)
etc etc

3 mana 2/2 is just not really a relevant body so much of the time (Possibly why a bunch of people prefer Mayhem Devil), but I do enjoy the pump.

Honestly I kinda just wanted both these abilities to work on all your creatures, rather than one being all your creatures, and one being nontoken creatures.

View attachment 7786
So @Dom Harvey got me interested in Twinferno out of new dominaria, but that card just so rarely has text it's not really worth maindecking.
Also for a card so often bereft of text, why only let it copy your spells? Give me the occasional out to have it do something, right?

I've given threaten similar treatment to modest success, so I've got high hopes for this one.
the judith upgrade and red charm really make me happy

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I will say I don't run ramp really, just ~3 mana dorks and ~3 signets.
On the other hand, I've got another cycle of 1-color-manlands, and I'm not sure what body I'd replace Lair with, green creatures have quite a specific vibe :p
Like sure, I could make a spider manland or whatever, but I'm not sure that's better

For reference:
110 - Aerie Pillar.jpg115 - Lumbering Hillock.jpg117 - Rousing Rubble.jpg118 - Secluded Bonepile.jpg121 - Soaring Formation.jpg
These are all fetchable, but taplands so there's merit to each. I'm a bit disappointed with the blue one, but I do like that they're all 5 mana to attack with and triple of one color, it makes them feel a lot less free, which fetchable manlands run the risk of doing.

Also I think this Vehicle style templating is the better way to do these, but not so much that I'm willing to re-do the AFR lands to fit this template (I do have a foil module Hall of Storm Giants)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Green got hosed compared to black, I think. Compared to red as well, maybe...

I think you could style these simply as French vanilla commons from the last few decade or so, and they would be good enough. They're already fetchable lands, I don't think they need premium stats to be good? Some options:

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So power level wise green I think is one of the better ones, though it's possible that's because green is just a lot more incentivized to spend 5 mana to do something than the other colors are?

Soaring Formation (White) I find the most interesting because it depends most on the current gamestate, which is technically a weakness for a manland but less than I'd initially thought.

I'm also less of a fan of defensive options on lands like this, reach/vigilance/hexproof etc all play a lot worse than Menace/Flying/Lifelink for me, I don't want to encourage people to hold these back to block, I'd much rather these encourage the game to end.

The idea of french vanilla creatures is a great one, but boy am I feeling the squeeze of a tight cycle here.
A lot of blue cards at this MV have like, flash or prowess, things that don't make much sense on a land :p

I do have some possible ideas for aping some more complicated 4 mana blue creatures:
Magpie Nest.pngShifting Isle.png

Clone manland or a Thieving Magpie manland?

Can MPC print double sided tokens? Do I need to modify them from the current MtG versions of those tokens? I don't understand copyright at all.