General Custom Cards: The Lab

Considering it can be cast with another white one drop on turn one or just any resolved white creature without losing anything (considering you are playing aggro and don't plan to block), it looks quite powerful.

Didn’t think about that convoking has haste. Oh…You are probably right then. Onde did think about it and made it legendary.

It’s a awful topdeck just like most other aggro 1 drops. I would think it’s interesting to include in a cube. At least until players start complaining about it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You found the perfect art
Thanks! I made that using MidJourney. I can understand why artists are apprehensive of AI art, but I will say that it’s still impossible to shape the art to your exact wishes. I’ve been trying to create a beach-front flooded birch forest for the GUB version of this, but MidJourney doesn’t want to understand me. As long as people need very specific visuals, artists have a job!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
i personally don't like filter / signet style mana sources because i have a small brain, but these are good and cool lands
That's why they tap for mana on their own :) Pure filter lands are quite finicky to use.

By the way, I made art for the other four I need for my cube for anyone who wants to take a look.

Ashen Plains.jpg Gleaming Swamp.jpg Gloomwood Island.jpg Murmuring Forest.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Trying to think of a solid dual to replace the Pathways. One of my design goals is to favor aggressive decks with my land designs. Any of these speak to you?

Deathcoast Hold.jpg Deathcoast Hold (1).jpg Deathcoast Hold (2).jpg

Obviously you're welcome to suggest your own design if you think of something better :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I actually really like all three

But ransom has to be {2} or even {1} to be a thing opponent will ever choose.
Yeah, {3} is a lot, but Frogkin Kidnapper dictates what ransom costs :( I could change the wording to something like “an opponent may ransom {2} a card from their hand” with the reminder text (Exile the ransomed card. Its owner may pay the ransom cost at any time too …), but that feels a bit clunky?

The ransom one isn't a choice at all.
Opponent scry is kind of a nice downside that's easy to grok.
The third one is a true dual in a lot of formats, so that depends.

You need to use the "land" color for the title and type lines.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So a hybrid Entomb that also works with madness, basically? That seems really strong for one mana.

There needs to be a reveal clause in there, by the way, to make sure the opponent can check that the right card is being discarded.

“Search your library for a card, reveal it, put it into your hand, discard it, then shuffle.”

I think this is the correct wording.

Yeah it seems like a fair cost for a mostly singleton cube.

Obviously it would be great in Legacy and other formats because they can include 4 copies and because they only include it if they have a perfect deck for it. In cube you might end up running it even with only a few good targets.

Why not Comrade? Human Wizard Comrade (mirroring the way that Ally goes last on the type line) would be shorter than Human Communist Wizard (by a whole two characters), making the type line less cramped. It also sounds a bit less stilted to me.
bf05deac46112739ef984f072ed46f82c0535239.gif

I think Communist also made more sense for the flavoring of some of these initial cards since about half were early 20th century revolutionaries and the other half were druid communes. The type was being used to represent different things than the word "comrade" implies.

For future reference, the Comrade subtype may make sense for this style of card.

You don't need to add a reveal clause, the rules can handle tracking a card going into your hand through a single effect, and you'd need to actively try to misrepresent the game-state (which is cheating) for it to cause any problems. (At least in this case, not so much with Sylvan Library.)
I like the scry variant of the dual land the most.
My issue is that moat is very on or off, so "Temporary" might not be so.
If the moat stops you from attacking your opponent, then you attack the moat instead.
I agree that it should probably not stop you from attacking planeswalkers, but I wanted it to have slightly more in-game utility than just being a health buffer.