General Custom Cards: The Lab

For my custom Pokémagic cube, I've changed several terms to be ore immersive with the world of Pokémon. A sorcery is an action, an enchantment is an influence, and instead of "when this creature dies" the cards say "when this Pokémon is defeated". But here is one, I am not so sure about: Should I rename the graveyard to the more generic discard pile? While death is not completely absent in Pokémon as a topic (think Lavandia), it only plays a minor role compared to magic's fantasy worlds. And even there, they've used discard pile on some cards.

There are some cards in the cube that adress death in some way, "Lavandia Tower" and "Mourning Cubone", but also a whopping ten prehistoric Pokémon that all share the following keyword:

Fossil find (You may cast this spell only from your graveyard. When this Pokémon dies, exile it.)

The also have cycling, alias the cost of having them develope in the lab

Last edited:
For my custom Pokémagic cube, I've changed several terms to be ore immersive with the world of Pokémon. A sorcery is an action, an enchantment is an influence, and instead of "when this creature dies" the cards say "when this Pokémon is defeated". But here is one, I am not so sure about: Should I rename the graveyard to the more generic discard pile? While death is not completely absent in Pokémon as a topic (think Lavandia), it only plays a minor role compared to magic's fantasy worlds. And even there, they've used discard pile on some cards.

There are some cards in the cube that adress death in some way, "Lavandia Tower" and "Mourning Cubone", but also a whopping ten prehistoric Pokémon that all share the following keyword:

Fossil find (You may cast this spell only from your graveyard. When this Pokémon dies, exile it.)
I personally am keeping mine with the same words except for Creature-->Pokemon. I think it's a little easier to go through when the terms are the same. I'd say that's true here, as well, but that discard pile and graveyard are probably so interchangeable for a card game player that it doesn't really matter.

Today I learned that the German version of R/B/Y calls Lavender Town "Lavendia". Huh.

Is it just English that does the whole "palette town + eight town names that are literally just colors" thing for Gen 1?

pokemontowncolors.png

Is this card nutty?

Sandslash {2}{R}{W}
Pokémon - Ground
Whenever you cast your second spell each turn, ~ phases out.
Whenever ~ phases in, it deals damage equal to it's power to target non-flying Pokémon.
4/4

The phase out, phase in is flavored as the move dig.

I'm a little scared because my friend compared it to Glorybringer, although admitting that isn't quite there probably.

repeatable flame slash, very nice. i think glorybringer is pretty apt, but it's 4 mana and there are multiple windows to kill it so should be fine as a top end value engine. unless your opponent drafted poorly and either can't kill you or kill it in a timely manner. not like glorybringer is tearing up any eternal formats

Making it a fight instead of a bite allows for the opponent to set up cool counterplay story moments and might allay some concerns around power level. Nifty card, though.

If you were to make a "dig" Pokemon, I would choose one that has it as a stronger part of their identity, like Dugtrio, Diggersby or Excadrill. Sandslash is more of a bruiser characterized by its sharp claws and ability to curl into a ball of spikes.
there are multiple windows to kill it
like one, immediately after your opponent plays it at instant speed?

I changed it a bit:

Sandslash {2}{R}{W}
Pokémon — Ground
{T}: ~ phases out. Activate this ability only if you cast two or more spells this turn.
Whenever ~ phases in, it deals damage equal to it's power to target nonflying Pokémon.
4/4

This way the opponent has more time to react to it. And it fits the flavor better, because it can't attack (regularly) and then still use dig in the same turn cycle.

I changed it a bit:

Sandslash {2}{R}{W}
Pokémon — Ground
{T}: ~ phases out. Activate this ability only if you cast two or more spells this turn.
Whenever ~ phases in, it deals damage equal to it's power to target nonflying Pokémon.
4/4

This way the opponent has more time to react to it. And it fits the flavor better, because it can't attack (regularly) and then still use dig in the same turn cycle.
Any interest in labelling it as Dig or Dig?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Does Menace plus "must be blocked if able" force a double block? Ya, right?

That seems like a sweet attacker.
I believe the defending player must meet all blocking requirements without breaking any blocking restrictions, if able. If the opponent has two creatures (edit: that are able to block), they must block with both. However, if they have only one, they can't block (because of menace), despite the card saying it must be blocked.

Last edited:
I believe the defending player must meet all blocking requirements without breaking any blocking restrictions, if able. If the opponent has two creatures, they must block with both. However, if they have only one, they can't block (because of menace), despite the card saying it must be blocked.
That's my understanding as well, but I wanted to make sure. I think that's a pretty cool combination of effects!

When MPC says, that my "order has successfully entered into our production system and will be complete in 1-2 business days", does that mean I no longer have to worry that they won't print it for (Pokémon) copyright reasons? :o

When MPC says, that my "order has successfully entered into our production system and will be complete in 1-2 business days", does that mean I no longer have to worry that they won't print it for (Pokémon) copyright reasons? :o

Probably but not guarenteed

Here are some new customs in my cube and modified cards

I wanted to add a Polymorph effect to my cube for 4 mana so I modified the Lukka planeswalker. I like the first loyalty ability I added that synergizes well with the rest of the card. I have to test to see how powerful it is.
yCG0lMA.png

I think to make aggro work in cube it has to be colorless. Because mana fixing is more difficult for aggro decks than other decks. How to make aggro fun to play? Maybe double strike can do some fun things for aggro.
xIzOfxm.png
q0RNU4Y.png
nZCTJcF.png
o9mt0Zk.png
8wzMVP6.png

These Dragon Stones were to generically powerful in my cube so I cut them for these flavorful Clue Moxen. This way getting a Mox effect is really a big reward for playing Clues! And my Black Lotus!
xcibu1o.png
k5X8OBV.png
Uabz2Gd.png

More cards
4PyZBAn.png
MKFMOT6.png
A32tks3.png
Jsqlxii.png
qgYeEBF.png
J4t6KkT.png
XfXaLEQ.png
dtAbqmp.png
wxnk7Ro.png

Part 2. Apparently a 20 image limit :)

I would like to add a bit of a Dragon them to my cube and I had Echo of Eons in my cube. I stumbled upon this card Runehorn Hellkite and with a bit of a cost reduction I cut Echo for this one.
rwzhP6H.png

I think Gargoyle Flock is a great design and I modified it for white.
ZeXzopW.png

I want to add an untap archetype to my cube. This one is a bit of an improved version of a mix between Network Disruptor and Fatestitcher
kJ6DhZf.png

I saw Oracle of the Alpha and this Urza and Mox fetcher on Reddit that I wanted to add. This gives a tiny possibility to play with TRON and power. My version of Oracle of the Alpha only adds the blue cards as I already have Clue moxen and the Dwarf.
bhueQNt.png
mn31Zcf.png
I6C50tC.png

Finally I updated these two designs that where shared a long time ago in this thread. The old version of Organized Crime created Clues every upkeep. This one caps it at 1. Which also plays better with the life loss for opponents. Ruins of Alexandria is now a BR tapland instead of an untapped colorless land.
aIB4iEk.png
lW5HHnY.png

Very cool batch

I personally really like cards that creates tokens/scrolls/cards like the Power 9 or Urzatron. Or any other known named card actually.

I like that you have split Oracle of the Alpha onto several cards.

I do think putting 3 lands into your hand for 2 mana is a bit strong. It’s basically 3-for-1 but it is ALSO 3 combo cards that go together 7 mana. Maybe it shuffles the lands into your deck instead?

Ruins of Alexandria is cool. Art is also cool but I don’t think it looks like ruins to me.

Flavor text on Organized Crime is gas!