General Custom Cards: The Lab

Yeah it is a bit narrow. Do you think tutoring for any artifact is good and is within color pie?

Here is the version with your change so it works while hellbent, which is a nice improvement.

CotrB05.png

Why not both?
change the minus 2 to: discard a card. Then search your library and graveyard for an artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less. Put that card into the battlefield.
Maybe it becomes too strong this way?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Why not both?
change the minus 2 to: discard a card. Then search your library and graveyard for an artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less. Put that card into the battlefield.
Maybe it becomes too strong this way?
It might become too wordy, I think: "Discard a card. Then search your library and graveyard for an artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less, and put it onto the battlefield. If you searched your library this way, shuffle."

It might become too wordy, I think: "Discard a card. Then search your library and graveyard for an artifact or creature card with mana value 2 or less, and put it onto the battlefield. If you searched your library this way, shuffle."
It may be wordy but is much easier to remember not fuck up than

haste, first-strike, vigilance, lifeline, trample keyword soup.

That's one of those effects that ends up wordy because of how the game works, but is really easy to remember.

That said, the library search probably turns this from an aggro card into some kind of combo enabler and significantly lengthens the time to resolve the effect. I think I prefer it just from the yard.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Arbiter Engine {2}{W}{W}
Artifact Creature – Construct
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses from among the permanents they control a permanent of each type, then sacrifices a permanent not chosen this way.
4/4
Oh damn. I'm actually looking for stuff that encourages you to have a diversity of card types among your permanents!
I'm a bit worried about how wrathy this looks but I could def be convinced. It might need to not be an artifact creature, that makes it really good.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh dear I read that as Cataclysm not smokestack.

Kinda like a more pushed World Queller?
(I think the variant on this effect that actually encourages you to diversify the card types among your permanents is Cataclysmic Gearhulk given I don't like LD)
I literally woke up while dreaming about the Smokestack archetype in my cube, thinking that white should have something better than World Queller to support the theme, when this popped up in my head. Immediately wrote it down here to not forget :D But yeah, it’s basically a Smokestack variant of Cataclysm. One permanent per upkeep until you’re left with the bare minimum!

What kind of a Google search might yield Mirrodin/Kaladesh feeling art for artifact-themed customs? "Robot _____" won't work for everything. It's also hard to find stuff that isn't some hyper-futuristic cityscape.

Better yet, does anyone know any artists with pages where they post this kind of stuff?

Hey, first post here. I was hoping for some feedback on what is basically an errata for Master Biomancer in my Powered Vintage Cube. I made it hybrid simic and a 3-drop because the normal version seemed to be completely underpowered. So far I've really liked it but my testing partner seems convinced it's one of the strong cards in the cube.

Any thoughts on powerlevel or ideas on how to make it more interesting would be appreciated!

Thanks!

M9tLe1g(1).png

i dont see this as being "one of the strongest creatures" in a powered cube. it is pretty strong though, reminds me of H&A.
id say a lot of its power as a cube card comes from being hybrid, so easy to draft, and blue, so good decks can pick it up.

nice card, thanks for sharing!

i dont see this as being "one of the strongest creatures" in a powered cube. it is pretty strong though, reminds me of H&A.
id say a lot of its power as a cube card comes from being hybrid, so easy to draft, and blue, so good decks can pick it up.

nice card, thanks for sharing!
Thanks! I will admit that it is much stronger than expected (like this into a Forth Eorlingas! was a brutal combo, haha). Thanks for taking a look.

What's H&A by the way?

Follow up question for you guys. I'm looking at adding some support for Magecraft (i.e.) casting/copying spells. I have a few cards which already care about Magecraft but I wanted to find an interesting way to help create copies of spells.

Currently I have Forge in Foliage which will copy the next spell based on the number of lands in graveyards. I think the ceiling on this card is insane but the floor is like pretty low without mindful drafting. I think Retrace means it would fit well in some self-mill, discard, or lands matter strategies.

I'm waffling between (1)(G)(G) and the version you see here. I think this would help give cards like Magecraft more oomph without breaking other archetypes.

This sits somewhere between a colour bend and break for me. I think Wotc would print it at (1)(U)(G) but I'm happy with bending the rules, haha.

Cheers.

output-onlinepngtools.png