General Custom Cards: The Lab

Yes, lol. The average deck has around 0-3 lands in the yard during a game. But I expect a dedicated deck to maybe be able to go self-mill or something and cast 15 bolts as a dedicated combo.

Oh God, unless you cast it for a couple lands and then you recast it for like three lands. Then bolt for a million, haha. Maybe I overlooked that.

Master Biomancer is missing an apostrophe and uses the wrong title/type background. It needs to be gray from the land frame.

That green card doesn't feel very green and it seems totally busted.

Master Biomancer is missing an apostrophe and uses the wrong title/type background. It needs to be gray from the land frame.

That green card doesn't feel very green and it seems totally busted.
Cool! I missed that. Thanks so much!

And yes...I just goldfished a game with and got to 40 copies of Brainfreeze on the stack on turn 4. I completely overlooked it copying itself so casting it, then sacrificing 4 lands to Squandered Resources to recast it makes the next card you cast copy 36 times.

I'll go back to the drawing board, haha. Thanks!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, retrace puts cards in your gy, so this gets really nutty very fast. I think the card is completely broken tbh :)

PS I also think it's a blatant color pie break, and there's probably ways to do this that feel more green. E.g. I don't know what you should cost this in your cube, but:

Overwhelming Thought {X}{G}
Sorcery
Convoke
Create an X/X green Elemental creature token with trample with: "When this creature dies, you may return target instant or sorcery card with converted mana value equal to or less than this creature's power from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Overwhelming Thought.

Why not an enchantment?

Evocative Name {1}{G}
Enchantment
Some downside
Instant and Sorcery cards in your graveyard have Retrace.

The enchantment itself wouldn't trigger Magecraft, but now all your lands do.

Ideas for downsides might be
"At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a nonland card from your graveyard. If you can't, sacrifice ~."
or adding
"Threshold: "
something like that. Plenty of room to tweak to suit the pace and needs of your cube.

Could also have it be a spin on Yawg Will? Up to you if you want the exile rider or are okay with just one thing being retrace'd like 8 times in a turn.
Titania's Will {G}{G}
Sorcery
Until end of turn, Instant and Sorcery cards in your graveyard have Retrace.
If an Instant or Sorcery card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.

Edit:
Copying spells and counting lands in GY is also a very red thing to do, so that's why I steered clear of "Copy target Instant/Sorcery. Retrace"

Last edited:
Why not an enchantment?

Evocative Name {1}{G}
Enchantment
Some downside
Instant and Sorcery cards in your graveyard have Retrace.

The enchantment itself wouldn't trigger Magecraft, but now all your lands do.

Ideas for downsides might be
"At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a nonland card from your graveyard. If you can't, sacrifice ~."
or adding
"Threshold: "
something like that. Plenty of room to tweak to suit the pace and needs of your cube.

Could also have it be a spin on Yawg Will? Up to you if you want the exile rider or are okay with just one thing being retrace'd like 8 times in a turn.
Titania's Will {G}{G}
Sorcery
Until end of turn, Instant and Sorcery cards in your graveyard have Retrace.
If an Instant or Sorcery card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile that card instead.

Edit:
Copying spells and counting lands in GY is also a very red thing to do, so that's why I steered clear of "Copy target Instant/Sorcery. Retrace"
I actually like both of these ideas. It seems like there's more tension in wanting to keep lands in hand which I guess would work well with Life from the Loam. I can see either of these working well.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'll do some playtesting and maybe get back to you with what I decide on.

i don't think there's a way to cost that spell-doubling effect that isn't either incredibly broken or unplayable

Chris Taylor

Contributor
mome92.jpg

This is a sick card to proliferate

oI2uRQy.png

Smother is an existing cardname, but this is an interesting one. Making stifle more flexible is I think a net positive.
rxur73.jpg

LOVE this

mome92.jpg

This is a sick card to proliferate

oI2uRQy.png

Smother is an existing cardname, but this is an interesting one. Making stifle more flexible is I think a net positive.
rxur73.jpg

LOVE this
Fleeting Beauty is even better with a simple Brainstorm. The card is a lot of fun. Thanks!

I looked for a replacement name for Smother but it worked perfect and I figured no one in my playgroup would be confused, haha. Works less well in a large setting.

I should also note that Cimerian Expanse, Dragon Shepherd, Erernalize, and Rescue were all modified from the r/Custommagic subreddit.

I think it’s no issue.

However you can always look for some appropriate art and find a new name matching that new art. Or the reverse.

I would personally ask @Onderzeeboot to look for a great piece of art. They are sort of a master for that.

Magmatic Command > the Two written on the card should be lowercase.

I like the added channel ability on Bramble Sovereign+

Thunderclap Captain is cool! I do like a Master of Waves type ability.

Mirkov, Master Biomancer > you mentioned this card earlier. I think you could have it be a mana value 3, power 1 creature. The effect is really cool but 2 power is a bit much for 3 mana. If you give this card 1 power and than add more cards to your cube that increases power like equipments or other things, than it becomes a better buildaround. Also see Arwen, Weaver of Hope.

About Smother. Lately I am using chatGPT for card name and flavor text suggestions, it is really awesome to get nice results quickly!
Can you suggest card names and flavor texts for this custom mtg card:
1U
Instant
Counter target spell, activated ability, or triggered ability. Its controller draws a card.
Sure, here are a few card name and flavor text suggestions for your custom Magic: The Gathering card:

Card Name Suggestions:

Sudden Insight
Aetheric Disruption
Winds of Nullification
Quicksilver Negation
Ephemeral Veto
Ripple of Clarity
Aegis of Diversion
Tidal Intervention
Mistweave Intrusion
Arcane Backlash

Flavor Text Suggestions:

In the swirl of arcane currents, even the most certain spells can unravel.
As the incantation faltered, the mage's confidence wavered, and a new path opened.
The echoes of magic grew faint, as if lost in the whispering void.
In the ebb and flow of power, doubt became the catalyst for a different outcome.
The threads of reality were rewoven, leaving the caster adrift in uncertainty.
A moment of clarity shattered the enchantment, leaving behind only confusion.
The weave of magic was tugged askew, revealing its hidden flaws.
Whispers from the depths of the sea echoed through the spell, distorting its purpose.
The veils of deception were lifted, and the truth laid bare, to the detriment of the caster.
The backlash of negated magic surged, creating a disorienting surge of energy.

Feel free to mix and match the card names and flavor text suggestions to create the perfect card for your custom MTG design!

Magmatic Command > the Two written on the card should be lowercase.

I like the added channel ability on Bramble Sovereign+

Thunderclap Captain is cool! I do like a Master of Waves type ability.

Mirkov, Master Biomancer > you mentioned this card earlier. I think you could have it be a mana value 3, power 1 creature. The effect is really cool but 2 power is a bit much for 3 mana. If you give this card 1 power and than add more cards to your cube that increases power like equipments or other things, than it becomes a better buildaround. Also see Arwen, Weaver of Hope.

About Smother. Lately I am using chatGPT for card name and flavor text suggestions, it is really awesome to get nice results quickly!
Cool! Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I'll look at updating those.

I love Bramble sovereign but she was just never doing anything? This feels like the right use of channel.

And I was definitely influenced by Master of Waves!

Yeah, I'm not sure where Biomancer is on the power spectrum for a powered+ vintage cube. It feels like a sleeper to me, so you may be right, but I've had it in the cube for a few years now. It may be something that would be completely broken if I ever brought it to like CubeCon let's say.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll take a look at the ChatGPT suggestions for sure.

Rescue wording is a mess.
I like how simply you noted that Meloku+ is different.
Magmatic Command missing a period, plus Treasure gets capitalized, plus looks like a BLOWOUT (nongame) against a lot of openings.
Bramble Sovereign wording.
Verdant Charm wording.
Eternalize lower case create.
Obosh frame.
Mirkov frame.
You're really gonna change Psychatog art?!
Is Dragon Shepherd even good? Lowercase vigilance.
Same question and fix on Thunderclap Captain.
All land frames wrong.
I'd like to see Sadist's Playground lose the 1st and 3rd or the 1st and 4th effects. Tapped plus pain is a lot of downside, but it's also got too much (marginal) upside to not have it take on so much downside.

I might steal a few designs.

Magmatic Command missing a period, plus Treasure gets capitalized, plus looks like a BLOWOUT (nongame) against a lot of openings.
Verdant Charm wording.
Obosh frame.
Mirkov frame.
All land frames wrong.
I'd like to see Sadist's Playground lose the 1st and 3rd or the 1st and 4th effects. Tapped plus pain is a lot of downside, but it's also got too much (marginal) upside to not have it take on so much downside.

Definitely feel free to steal whatever.

I'll take a look at those changes today. Thanks for the feedback!

Magmatic Command I think could blow out the wrong opening (maybe nonbasic + mana dork), but it feels like those should be rare? Something to keep in mind for sure.

What frames are you supposed to use for Obosh and Mirkov? I though they looked fine to me.

Having never played Psychatog, I don't have any attachment to the art. I know that's a very controversial opinion, haha.

Dragon Shepherd is surprisingly good. Holds down the air and the ground simultaneously. The damage it deals takes an extra turn to happen but it still deals damage.

Thunderclap is a beast that usually ends up finishing the fame quickly.

Sadist's Playground is new and I haven't had much testing. So I'll have to give it some thought for sure.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Psychatog+ don’t mind a new art if the players are suppose to easily notice that it is not the original Psychatog.

I would personally give it cantrip over making it cheaper. To fuel the Atog.
That's an interesting idea for sure. I'll keep that in mind.
I like your colorless section is all brown. Very pleasing to look at.

How is it to play your cube? Does it feel balanced? I always get worried when I see blue has Ancestral Recall, Mana Drain and Time Walk.
Honestly, those are still power outliers for sure. But the cube is super aggressive and tends to keep blue decks in check. Anything blue needs to find ways to deal with aggressive decks.

If anyone is interested in doing some testing online let me know. I'm testing on cubecobra and importing to cockatrice.

Thanks for all the advice!

Verdant Charm wording.
Obosh frame.
Mirkov frame.
All land frames wrong.

Hey made some updates following your suggestions. Mainly the frames and stuff but reworded Rescue as well. Seems a lot cleaner. Kept Sadist's Playground the same because I want to play with it a lot more to decided what nerf I want.

Remaining Updated cards which are all frame issues or wording issues.

Thanks for the tips!