General Custom Cards: The Lab

i'm so friggin serious about this. i play this card below. is it nutso? yes. is it a more interesting and satisfying game piece than Leaf Gilder absolutely also yes. the knight of the gardens puts you up while opponent falls behind, which is a microcosm in HP of the same thing happening in terms of mana development...there is so so SO much room for mana dorks that brawl sometimes once you don't need your sixth point of {G} or whatever. push your two mana mana dorks! push them even further than that!
Oh I'll be pushing mana dorks alright.

Been so tempted to make some kind of Onslaught custom cube reading all these Ravnica morph cards. Some sorta morph mechanic where the face down creature is a Changeling or maybe you choose a creature type at the beginning of the game and they're that type. Could even be a 1/1 or 2/2 for 2 or a 0/1 for 1.

Been so tempted to make some kind of Onslaught custom cube reading all these Ravnica morph cards. Some sorta morph mechanic where the face down creature is a Changeling or maybe you choose a creature type at the beginning of the game and they're that type. Could even be a 1/1 or 2/2 for 2 or a 0/1 for 1.
love this idea. think it has serious potential

I've been working on a heavily custom 1-drop cube, and i wanted to share some of the designs from it ^,..,^
(sorry that this is taking up a lot of space, i couldn't figure out how to format it efficiently >< )

Ascending-Dragon-1.png
Sandstone-Pummeler-1-1.png
Supreme-Excellence.png

Hand-in-the-Machine.png
Crashing-River-Champion.png
Touched-by-Truth.png

Bazaar-Enforcer.png
Spirit-Strings-1.png
The-Doomed-Journey-1-1-1.png

Illustrious-Mentor.png
Kuzunoke-of-Wild-Wisdom.png
Midas-Complex.png

Khadri-Wayfinder-1-1.png
Subsoil-Seas.png
Flesh-Assault-1-1.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Showed this one to my playgroup, and their conclusion is it needs a 3 mana dragon fodder adventure :p (IDK if that breaks the rules of 1 drop cube for you)

My issue is that spellslinger decks tend to be quite low threat count to make room for all the noncreature spells you need, and this only really works well if you have 3+ creatures in play.
Or you control young pyromancer/monastery mentor, but presumably those aren't on your radar

@Lily I'm loving a lot of those!

I'm bored tonight and very well may not continue this, so I'll post it here rather than start an actual thread. For now.

WU Birds / Skies
UB Zombies / Graveyard
BR Goblins / Sac Aggro
RG Beasts / Ramp
GW
WB Clerics / Can it be life gain? Small creature yard seems more likely.
UR Wizards / Prowess/Spells
BG Elves / Maybe also some graveyard stuff?
RW Soldiers / Go Wide aggro
GU

GW or GU:
Could be the face-down deck?
++ counters deck?
GU... could Morph work well with Flash?
Changeling focused pair?
Could do like Gwu Slivers or something to slip them in there?
Little bit of a defender deck?
CMC matters deck?

All:
NEW: Align (Choose a creature type and that's your aligned type all game. IDK proper wording.)
"Morphling" (Face-down 2/2 for 3 with Changeling or maybe Aligned type to make it harder to achieve random "if you control a TYPE.")
Cycling
Need to toss some dragons and legends in there.

Rare cycle of 10 fetches.
Uncommon cycle of Auntie's Hovel-like lands. Maybe with basic land types? I know that's a "rare" design, but I'm imagining this as a draft set and it seems healthy in that context.
Common cycle of tapped duals.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been working on a heavily custom 1-drop cube, and i wanted to share some of the designs from it ^,..,^
(sorry that this is taking up a lot of space, i couldn't figure out how to format it efficiently >< )

Sandstone-Pummeler-1-1.png
Spirit-Strings-1.png
Midas-Complex.png
Your rarities feel all over the place, but these are some nice designs! Sandstone Pummeler feels more like a green card, because the pump is not "target attacking or blocking creature". Spirit Strings feels absolutely insane. This would already be broken (in normal Magic) without the lifelink counter. Midas Complex feels very thematic, but with no way out it also feel incredibly punishing. I think it would be less flavorful but a lot more playable if you had to sacrifice either a land or the Midas Complex. Also, there isn't a card that currently does this, but this feel likeit should be an Enchantment – Aura Curse with "Enchant yourself" ;)

Last edited:
Hi @Brad
I probably missed something but I just wanted to let you know that Wizards already designed the tapped dual land cycle.

First in Kaldheim
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle:Tapped+type:land+(game:paper)+set:khm+rarity:c

Then in Dominaria United
https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=oracle:Tapped+type:land+(game:paper)+set:dmu+rarity:c

Just wanted to let you know in case it was important to you.
Yeah. Trying to get art that feels a little more Onslaught-y. That said, I just loaded Tangled Islet into that frame and it looks pretty good. I already had the art that I used on hand, but it might be worth sending the existing cards for familiarity's sake. They're also on the same plane. That's if I even finish the project, which, as @LadyMapi knows, is unlikely.

EDIT: Those all look solid. I'll use those for sure. Thanks for making me take a second look.

Showed this one to my playgroup, and their conclusion is it needs a 3 mana dragon fodder adventure :p (IDK if that breaks the rules of 1 drop cube for you)

My issue is that spellslinger decks tend to be quite low threat count to make room for all the noncreature spells you need, and this only really works well if you have 3+ creatures in play.

i was considering adding something like that actually, for the same reason!
i ultimately decided against it, since my assumption was that this 1 drop cube would be just slow enough to have it be effective
(and also partly for aesthetic reasons, ngl :p )

Your rarities feel allowed the place, but these are some nice designs!
Thanku! <3
the rarities are um, yeah, just whatever i felt appropriate at the time when making them :D

Spirit Strings feels absolutely insane. This would already be broken (in normal Magic) without the lifelink counter.
Yeee, this would prolly interact really poorly with normal magic, and i try to limit designs like that, but i really liked it in this environment

Midas Complex feels very thematic, but with no way out it also feel incredibly punishing.
It is very much inspired by stuff like Aggressive Mining with its self-destructiveness, so i'd like to keep that
Also the ultra-low curve means that sac'ing land development for cards is a better deal than normal ^,..,^
e15a3f1a-83af-4541-8d1c-bf7844f969c9.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1708401162608.png
I had a request for Heroic Intervention in my cube as some wrath counterplay for token decks. I never really loved the card, but we gave it a shot, and I think it's clear that indestructible aint what it used to be, and is all over white specifically, the place you'd be boarding in sweeper protection anyways.

Weirdly, this does kind of feel like a color pie break (or at least bend) because this would be the only (mono) green card to use phasing.
I think it works well enough in flavor to ignore that, and mechanically it is necessary to actually work mechanically.

1708402541364.png
I'm also cooking up this thing as a more token friendly Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second. I love Jennie, but bespoke dogs and cats isn't really what I want in a deck already so heavy on extras.

I thiiiiiink this is the right way to word "If you make tokens, make 'em then kiki copy one" without it going infinite on itself.
I also want you to be able to pick if you make multiple types of tokens at once. (I'm sure there's some world where I add on another few lines of text and it turns bestial menace into ball lightning)

The spirit ETB is the kind of "just a taste" synergy this thing can produce on it's own (imagine if this made a treasure lmao) providing it with a bit of resiliency. I think in my format 3/4 is probably necessary but ymmv.

I think it's something like

If one or more tokens would be created under your control, those tokens plus an additional one of those tokens are created instead. ?The additional token gains haste?

Took "of those tokens" from Primal Vigor and restructured the sentenced based off of Allenal, Chatterfang, etc. I think Jinnie moved "instead" to the front to make the two options more clear.

I'm not sure if the haste part is crystal clear as worded. I know what your intent is, but Flameshadow Conjuring makes it super clear what is gaining haste.

I do wonder if you should specify creature tokens. The haste clause makes it feel like it's for attacking tokens, not to try to immediately pop a Blood or Clue. Naya colors are also more focused on creatures.

"If an effect would create one or more tokens under your control, choose one of those tokens. Create a token that's a copy of that token. That token gains haste. Sacrifice is at the beginning of the next end step." ?

I wonder if

RGWGW
Doubling Season token text.
Tokens you control have haste.
At the beginning of your end step, sac all your tokens.
3/4

Is good?

TL;DR I don't know precisely how to word this.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
"If an effect would create one or more tokens under your control, choose one of those tokens. Create a token that's a copy of that token. That token gains haste. Sacrifice is at the beginning of the next end step." ?
This definitely goes infinite :p

If one or more tokens would be created under your control, those tokens plus an additional one of those tokens are created instead. ?The additional token gains haste?
This probably seems right
I do wonder if you should specify creature tokens. The haste clause makes it feel like it's for attacking tokens, not to try to immediately pop a Blood or Clue. Naya colors are also more focused on creatures.
True but it's not like there's no benifit to giving a blood haste (Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, for eg)
RGWGW
Doubling Season token text.
Tokens you control have haste.
At the beginning of your end step, sac all your tokens.
3/4
Maybe, but it's extremely swingy and I don't think you want it in a token deck. I think you want to combine it with X spells

Also overnight, I think 3/3 with the spirit on ETB is fine. It probably needs either some recouped value if you bolt it OR 3/4, and I think the spirit is nice for reasons outlined above.