General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh I specifically want this making additional trinkets, that's the whole draw of the token deck in my cube: that it's more than just putting 1/1s on the battlefield until you lose.

The artifact deck does involve a lot of trinket cardboard as well, and it's in Mardu so you could play this thing if your mana is right.

It's a shame that Wastes isn't a land type. "Land - Plains Wastes" would be very elegant.
It is an it isn't. Increasing Domain to 6 is a real consideration.

I was thinking that maybe the Desolate cycle should be. "T: Add C. T, Sac: search for land type tapped." A monocolored slow fetch seems a lot better than the current design.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think what Brad's saying is they're a type of land (they're basic, you can grab a fistfull from the basic land box, etc) but they don't provide a 6th land type. Type of Land vs Land Type, if you will.

You could just put barry's land in. It has some knockon effects, but not a ton.

If Wastes was a land type, the card Wastes, a basic land, would presumably also have the type, which would make it a sixth basic land type, resulting in there now being 6 in the game.

Excuse the weird wording and mana costs. The framing is for my twist on the game.
I specially like this version of lantern bearer to enable ninjutsu then give flying to the ninja

I found a fucked up way to help delirium and I want to share it with you guys
Wizard's Lightning.jpgVolatile Reaction.jpgFate Snare.jpg
I'm trying to keep them somewhat flavorful to make sense

Some cards I made
Aerial Suppressors.jpgHex Catchcer.jpgMetalic Sergeant.jpgStudent of Balance.jpgThe Orzhov Way.jpgBrearer of Terrible Secrets.jpgEmergency Protocol.jpg
Note that these are designed for the 4-land-max cube where cards cost 3 or less. Also the colorless mana symbol actually stands for 1 mana of any color.
From left to right:
1 & 2: Hatebears for W death & taxes
3: Luminarch aspirant, but you can't sit back and accumulate counters
4: 2/1 for one with potential for good beats
5: Thoughtseaize but White, and flavorful
6: Cube-friendly delver of secrets design
7: Saw it coming but they can see it coming too. Originally wanted to have the mana payment all upfront to have a free counterspell but decided to give the opposing player the chance of finding window

Some more cards
Dandelion.jpgExplosive Runes.jpgFinale.jpgFlameblade Adept.jpgJaya Ballard, Pyromancer Savant.jpgScorch.jpgScroll Burner.jpgTemporal Snipe.jpg
Again, from left to right:
1: Red dark confidant
2: I love tempo secret mage in hearthstone
3: Playable Hidetsugu's Second Rite, supported by thermo-alchemist, gutshot and needle drop
4: Cube-friendly flameblade adept design, mixed with goblin blast runner
5: Ojer Axonil, but you can read the card in one sitting. Also Ignite ( if you've played a spell this turn) is cube-friendly Magecraft
6: Simple Delirium support
7: Red snapcaster
8: A combination of every tempo card I love

I think it wouldn't count itself. I just wanted to card to be 1 damage with an empty graveyard (without making the card ugly like artillery blast).
What I love about kitchen table is not worrying about rules and making cards as elegant as possible.

Some more cards
Religious Prohibition.jpgDenier of Essense.jpgSanction Officer.jpgSneaky Poro.jpgHasty Poro.jpgElderwood Vanguard.jpgDream Hunter.jpgMoss Pup.jpgSkulking Crocodilian.jpgTinyfinder.jpg
From left to right:
1. Weird hand disruption for disruptive aggro
2 and 3. more Weenie and Taxes cards
4 and 5. Draft-friendly magecraft keyword for aggro spells deck
6. Versatile beefy dude to save against aggro, then start smashing. Mono color support
7. GY disruption+Delirium support
8 and 9. More Versatile cards
10. Tiny little dude (don't include alongside Moxen and other broken rocks)

Last edited:
Encapsulate: A mishmash of Adventure and Channel
Thraben Infantry.jpgYotian Tactician.jpgLibrary Infiltrator.jpgSpellstutter Apprentice.jpgPoro Snowball Slinger.jpgPoro Brute.jpgElderwood Tactician.jpgSoul of the Soil.jpg
It's basically channel, but:
1.Counts as casting a spell for prowess purposes, letting you solve the age old problem of drawing a disproportionate number of As or Bs in a A+B synergy deck
2.Can be counterspelled

I've wondered for a while how much "Domain tops out at 6" really matters. None of the Domain effects stand out to me as broken with X=6 instead of X=5 except for maybe Tribal Flames?
I don't think it would matter or get played, as Wastes don't have duals. Nor should they, thematically. It's only a relevant ability thanks to fetches, shocks, and triomes. And that stupid Leyline.

If anything, it could be interesting for cubes/limited.

Has anyone tried a big spells archetype? To cast big spells for free? Like with card effects such as [[Mizzix's Mastery]]?
I also struggle to find or design custom expensive spells that are worth playing in a high powered cube.