General Custom Cards: The Lab

Thank you :) Those are quite many artworks.

The best one by far is the last one with the robot-like people because it is the only artwork with a character giving away a weapon. It might be really good, it might look too weird :p The others are more Kamigawaish but neither of them depict a person departing from their weapon.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thank you :) Those are quite many artworks.

The best one by far is the last one with the robot-like people because it is the only artwork with a character giving away a weapon. It might be really good, it might look too weird :p The others are more Kamigawaish but neither of them depict a person departing from their weapon.

Ok, I got some more, but they're not Asian-inspired.

Vulpa-art: https://www.deviantart.com/vulpa-art/art/Lady-of-the-Lake-732078234
Thomas Biedermann: https://www.deviantart.com/mourkhayn/art/The-Commission-510751007

Actually, lady of the lake leads to a few good pieces.

Michael Gauss: https://www.deviantart.com/helmuttt/art/Albions-Legacy-Lady-of-the-lake-479867816
Jana Schirmer: https://www.deviantart.com/janaschi/art/lady-of-the-lake-01-603367615
Julia Metzger: https://www.deviantart.com/valyavande/art/Lady-of-the-Lake-755562567

Oh, oh, I got one! This one might be nice! The guy in the back is actually holding the sheath in a way that makes clear the blade was just offered!
Diego Gisbert Llorens: https://www.deviantart.com/diegogisbertllorens/art/Daigotsu-Kanpeki-Onyx-609927371
daigotsu_kanpeki_onyx_by_diegogisbertllorens-da34uyz.jpg

Need more options?

Zezhou Chen: https://www.deviantart.com/zezhou/art/Gift-725888819
Dmitry Prosvimin: https://www.deviantart.com/d8p/art/Gift-390316438
Mario Wibisono: https://www.deviantart.com/mariowibisono/art/Hand-of-the-Jade-Dragon-134689281

Lucas Durham: https://www.deviantart.com/lucasdurham/art/Arya-s-Gift-600121543
arya_s_gift_by_lucasdurham-d9xaoqv.jpg

So in my cube the winner is Julia Metzger with Lady of the Lake (The angel-bird woman with a floating sword between her hands.)

That art is just amazing and fits perfectly although I had to format the width and height a bit. Thaaaaaaaank you Onde :)

Edit: Oh ups, the runner up is Zezhou Chen with Gift (Humble slave offering his stick) and third place could have been The Comission with the king offering his sword but the logo was in the way so third place is Jana Schirmer with Lady of the Lake 01 (Woman lying in the water)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nice! I liked the challenge of finding some matching art. Wasn't that easy, until I started using some more unconventional word combinations :)

Gift.png

Still not sure about the name because most people will read it as "Gift from the Gods"

The Marketplace is sort of like the Utility Land Draft although there are also non-lands and cards can only be purchased by spending Fantasy Coins, which are custom cards that must be picked from booster packs. Also some cards on the Marketplace cost 1 coin and other costs more.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I don't quite get how this card is supposed to work. How do I reveal the Jitte? What if I never see the Jitte, or I already drafted it? Why specifically the Jitte in the first line, and any equipment in the middle ability? When do you need to put that equipment into the Market, as you draft Gift for the Gods?

By the way, why not just name it Gift from the Gods then? Looks like it would fit the effect as well?

I don't quite get how this card is supposed to work. How do I reveal the Jitte? What if I never see the Jitte, or I already drafted it? Why specifically the Jitte in the first line, and any equipment in the middle ability? When do you need to put that equipment into the Market, as you draft Gift for the Gods?

By the way, why not just name it Gift from the Gods then? Looks like it would fit the effect as well?

This is the reason why I didn’t slam the ‘final result’ into this group in the first place :p

To answer your questions one at a time:

1. How do you reveal the Jitte?
You do it like you reveal other draft-matters cards from Conspiracy sets. Think of Cogwork Spy

2. What if I never see Jitte or already drafted it?
Not possible. In my Fantasy Cube people draft 2 cards at a time. Each draft pick gives more than one card. In the case when you draft Umezawa’s Jitte you also get Gift for the Gods.

3. Why specifically the Jitte, and any equipement in the middle ability?
Specifically Jitte because when you draft Gift for the Gods then you specifically get Jitte. The ‘equipment’ part is there because you will need to pay a little extra to get Jitte. An Equipment card.

4. When do you need to put that equipment into the Market, as you draft Gift for the Gods?
Yes. You will have to put an Equipment card onto the Marketplace when you draft Gift for the Gods and Umezawa’s Jitte.

Yeah I could name it Gift from the Gods. That would also fit I think because Jitte is more powerful than the rest of the equipments in the cube. I will have to ponder about this one :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ah, cool! So if you want the Jitte, which is presumably one of the more powerful cards, you have to sacrifice something. So while another drafter is getting two cards for his one pick, the Jitte drafter is getting only one card (the Jitte), and they must give up another equipment they already drafted. Basically they're getting net zero cards for their pick, but they do get to upgrade an earlier pick to something very powerful. Neat Velrun! I also like that the card you give up becomes available for other drafters to scoop up after the draft :)

Edit: What about "Blessed Exchange"?

Exactly! :)

So there is one in each color (I actually had a hard time figuring out which should be the green one until Ondezeeboot told me Garruk, Primal Hunter was more OP than I had experienced.), one regular artifact, one equipment, one land and one conspiracy.

If you’d like to see them, just say so ;)

Blessed Exchange could work too. The reason why I wanted ‘Gift for the Gods’ initially was because the other 8 were also named after a downside. The name is suppose to be the act of sacrificing something. The reason why I wanted Asian/Kamigawa inspirere art was obviously because Jitte is from Kamigawa :)

Well Aston sometimes drafting my cube feels like an entirely different game :p But as soon as the matches begin it is 100 % MtG.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Exactly! :)

So there is one in each color (I actually had a hard time figuring out which should be the green one until Ondezeeboot told me Garruk, Primal Hunter was more OP than I had experienced.), one regular artifact, one equipment, one land and one conspiracy.

If you’d like to see them, just say so ;)

Blessed Exchange could work too. The reason why I wanted ‘Gift for the Gods’ initially was because the other 8 were also named after a downside. The name is suppose to be the act of sacrificing something. The reason why I wanted Asian/Kamigawa inspirere art was obviously because Jitte is from Kamigawa :)

Well Aston sometimes drafting my cube feels like an entirely different game :p But as soon as the matches begin it is 100 % MtG.

Yes, I would love to see them, interesting ideas deserve some attention! :)

Maybe "Offering of Blades"?

I wanted to write this in my cube blog but since it was asked, I will sit down and write this now. Spoiler alert: You will read it again once I finish the blog :p

How draft picks work in the Fantasy Cube:

So each draft pick gives the player more than one card (with a few exceptions)

In most cases the 'extra' card is a Basic land but sometimes it is a little more exciting. This idea works quite nice during drafting but a warning: It takes a ton of time to prepare a tournament although I am getting better and faster and have systemized almost everything by now. There are 10 draft picks in each mono-color that gives more than just a card + a Basic land. The draft-matters cards that I am showing in this post is not included in those 10 since they are just effects and not actual cards. There are also a lot in the colorless section and each multicolored card comes with a land to help with the fixing. (Guilds give Guild lands and Shard/Khans gives Trilands.)

White.PNG

The white draft ability comes with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. I like the card very much even though it is powerful. It helps enable tokens go wide strategies with both the 0 and the -4 ability.

Blue.PNG

The blue draft ability comes with Jace, the Mind Sculptor. This card doesn't really enable any strategies and is super, super powerful. However I like having a cube where players experience high highs and low lows (Emotions and power tripping when playing.) Brainstorming is obviously synergistic with Fetch lands and we have a draft pick in the cube that gives the player three Squadron Hawks so the old card advantage Standard trick is possible if a player gets both and knows how to run it.

Black.PNG

The black draft ability comes with Liliana of the Veil. Discard outlet.

Red.PNG

The red draft ability comes with Chandra, Torch of Defiance.

Green.PNG

The green draft ability comes with Garruk, Primal Hunter. I had a hard time finding a green card for this effect and I wanted one in all five colors. I went with this card for two reasons: I made thematical sense to let all the mono-colored draft abilities to come with a Planeswalker and Ondezeeboot made me realize how strong this card is. At least if left unchecked :p It is obviously good in go wide token strategies.

All the names for the mono-colored planeswalker draft abilities are story-related. Gideon's sacrifice from Zendikar, Jace's amnesia from Ixalan, Liliana's curse from Innistrad, Chandra's grief from Kaladesh and Garruk's Prey also from Innistrad.

(To be continued...)

Artifact.PNG

The artifact draft ability comes with Mana Vault. This card is obviously broken. However it is the only truly broken mana rock in the cube and it usually only taps once each game unless the game goes really long. The opponent is required to have a good spot removal :p Honestly I can't remember if this card has ever yielded a player a win but I bet it has. It is on my watch list. I much prefer this over Sol Ring or Grim Monolith because they are much more abusable in my opinion.

Equipment.PNG

The equipment draft ability comes with Umezawa's Jitte. Jitte is also really good but this downside is actually quite severe. Once the matches begin the downside can no longer be felt but during the drafting a player will sometimes want the Jitte but still won't pick it up. Often these kind of cards actually get banned which I find quite amusing :D I like the foresightness that the players must have in order to get some of these cards. That being said I still wish Jitte would only give 1 counter at a time and maybe cost 1 less to equip.

Land.PNG

The land draft ability comes with Wasteland which I believe is very healthy for a format. This draft ability used to be connected to Strip Mine before we chose to cut it from the Fantasy Cube. Thank you Riptidelab! :D

Conspiracy.PNG

The conspiracy draft ability is Power Play. By far the most severe draft ability and the drafters love this.

All of the draft ability cards and their companions cannot be found in any of the eight Pack 1's. They are shuffled randomly into Pack 2 and 3.

(To be continued...)

Here are all the draft ability cards that we used to play but no longer have in the Fantasy Cube:

1.png

Analysis Backfired was cut from the Fantasy Cube when we decided to cut Iterative Analysis because it was simply too good.

2.png

Plans Stolen was cut from the Fantasy Cube when we decided to give each of the eight players before the draft begins a Heroic Entrance. This was a very recent change. Thus we had to cut Backup Plan. A Heroic Entrance is a custom conspiracy each player gets and it looks like this:

Heroic Entrance.png

This is a tweaked version of the original Highlander mulligan (Not Commander, not EDH but the format that EDH was build upon.) We did this to minimize the amount of shuffling.

3.png

Strip the Land is now called Waste the Land because it is now a package with Wasteland.

4.png

Summoner's Sacrifice was cut when we decided to cut Summoner's Bond. So weird they made a new mechanic and keyword and only used it once. Wizards have never done that before and will probably never again. Does anyone else feel like it must have been a mistake and some of the Double agenda cards must have been cut quite late in the design process?

That's it. We might expand on this little fun theme a lot more but we have had this for some time and it works great. I am still dreaming of the most chaotic format where each draft pick comes with restrictions and connections to other cards :p

One last thing: The Marketplace is like the Utility Land draft. I put it onto the table before the draft begins for all the players to view while drafting. Players may purchase items from the Marketplace by spending Fantasy Coins which is custom cards that look like this:

Coin.png

Each pack contains exactly 13 cards (Packages of cards that often includes 2 cards but can sometimes have more or less.) and 1 Fantasy Coin. This creates two situations that I like:
- 1. If a pack feels dead to a player because he is Black-Red and there are no good black, red or colorless cards left he can always pick the Fantasy Coin unless it has already been picked.
- 2. A player can 'rush' for Coins in order to get better cards from the Marketplace or more cards.

A link to the Marketplace can be found here:
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/58510

In the upper right corner of each item on the Marketplace you can see the price of that specific card. It is first come, first serve so picking a Fantasy Coin early can be important in some scenarios. Edit: Ignore Shard of Sol Ring all the way at the end of the list. It is not on the Marketplace at the moment. Treasure Map and Explorer’s Curiosity are a package that come together for 1 Fantasy Coin. Have not yet found a good way to visually show this on CubeTutor.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Such a cool idea Velrun, drafting this has to be quite the experience!

Only thing I noticed was that the scry-"basics" cost 3 coins, but Undercity Reaches costs only 1. Reaches looks vastly superior though, so I don't quite get why the scrylands are so expensive in comparison?

Well I make mistakes too ;)

I wanted the land to be really good, I wanted it to be flavorful, I wanted it to support Aristocrats sacrifice theme and I wouldn’t mind surveil on it since surveil can be used in other strategies too. But right now the card might be too good. This is the most recent change to the cube and we have not tested it yet.

However I will say it does not seem better than Yawgmoth’s Swamp if you ask me. One has purely upside that always trigger. The other takes not only mana but also losing creatures to activate. And you must tap it too. So three downsides in order to surveil 1.

I would not like to downgrade the land to ETB tapped. And it cannot be colorless producing. So..I might downgrade it to ETB tapped or increase the Coin cost for purchasing.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well I make mistakes too ;)

I wanted the land to be really good, I wanted it to be flavorful, I wanted it to support Aristocrats sacrifice theme and I wouldn’t mind surveil on it since surveil can be used in other strategies too. But right now the card might be too good. This is the most recent change to the cube and we have not tested it yet.

However I will say it does not seem better than Yawgmoth’s Swamp if you ask me. One has purely upside that always trigger. The other takes not only mana but also losing creatures to activate. And you must tap it too. So three downsides in order to surveil 1.

I would not like to downgrade the land to ETB tapped. And it cannot be colorless producing. So..I might downgrade it to ETB tapped or increase the Coin cost for purchasing.
Oh woah! I completely missed the morbid requirement! Tip: WotC always puts reminder text at the end of a line. I stopped reading after the "surveil 1", because that's where the reminder text began and I already know what surveil does. I would definitely put the requirement to before the reminder text, and possibly add the morbid ability word. The perfect example for that templating would be...

An example of a card with reminder text at the end of a line, referencing something at the start is...

If you want to make the reminder text slightly clearer, borrow the wording from the scry reminder text, and start your (custom) reminder text with: "To surveil 1, ..."

Anyway, now that I know about the requirement, it looks a lot more balanced :)

Burn the Midnight Oil {1}{R}
Instant
Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may exile any number of them. For each card exiled this way, add {R} to your mana pool.
Flashback {R}{R}{R}

Burn the Midnight Oil {1}{R}
Instant
Look at the top 3 cards of your library. You may exile any number of them. For each card exiled this way, add {R} to your mana pool.
Flashback {R}{R}{R}

Can we make it so the mana doesn't empty until EOT, so you can fire this off on your upkeep? Right now I think you have to work a little too hard to use this, when it should instead be a support card imo

So...

Moorland Haunt
Nephalia Drownyard
Kessig Wolf Run
Gavony Township
Vault of the Archangel
Desolate Lighthouse
Slayers' Stronghold

Apparently they printed some totally sweet lands for the utility land draft in Innistrad block. Anyone noticed this cycle isn't complete? I mean, sure, you could run inferior cards like...

Stensia Bloodhall
Grim Backwoods
Alchemist's Refuge

But let's be honest, those three aren't all that special. I know hundreds of people have probably already come up with replacements, but that won't stop me from making up my own. Have you guys thought of some cool things?

Null Farm
Land
{1}{B}{R}, {T}: Each player discards a card and loses 2 life. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Undying Court
Land
{B}{G}, {T}: Target creature gains undying until end of turn.

Mutagen Vent
Land
{1}{G}{U}, {T}: Proliferate.

Up

How do we feel about these designs in 2018?