General Custom Cards: The Lab

I figured out the issue- the "Beleren" font and one other font weren't actually included with the download I got for templates. I installed them to the Windows XP emulator I'm using and now everything works fine. I'll show some designs at a later date...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Forest Storm is really bad in its current wording, since you only search and reveal, but never actually add the three Forest cards to your hand :p Also, if you have less than three Forests left in your deck, you're actually forced to fail to find, don't reveal anything, and still have to put two cards on top of your library. Lastly, this is an excellent way to cheat and stack your deck, since you never shuffle it. You probably want to fix that as well ;)

Try: "Search your library for up to two Forest cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library. Then put two cards from your hand on top of your library."

I think without evasion there's a good chance. It may need to be a 2/1 or 1/1 (or 0/1). In any case, I'm ready to find out. I'm also just kind of high on these ETB or Attacks triggers right now.

Also the actual ability is a pain to word elegantly... This one effectively communicates the idea that you can't sac the Horse, and you can't reanimate the creature you sac, but it definitely isn't how wizards would word it today.
Rec.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Would suggest 'you may sacrifice another creature to return another target creature card from your yard to the beefzone'

When ~ gets hip to it or funky, slidesville a cool cat, then rerun a jive on the pad.

61509274_551506385255445_7373928792433098752_n.jpg

Would suggest 'you may sacrifice another creature to return another target creature card from your yard to the beefzone'

Was trying to find art that captured the feeling of a horse taking someone on a ride through a meat grinder and coming out the other side with a new rider, so that would be oddly fitting... (I failed)

Custom Cards part 1: Blue Cantrips
So here's the deal.​
Over Christmas, I'm hoping to do a special cube draft. I want to have all my closest friends there (including a couple who I still have to teach magic, but have agreed to learn :rolleyes:), and I'm going to have a bunch of customs. Some of them are going to be cards themed after us (ergo- I can't share them for containing personal information), but most of them are going to be customs that I've been wanting to try for a while. I've been making custom cards for almost 4 years, so I have a decent amount of experience in the realm of making my own cards. Despite this, most of the cards I will be using over the holiday are things that I want specifically to play in a version of my Highball cube. I'm hoping to get some feedback on certain "blocks" of cards I've made as I get to a point where I'm fairly happy with the basic designs.​
Without further ado, here is what I have to show!​
bHDuyvK.jpg
So this first card is basically just an Obsessive Search variant. I've been looking at testing that card as an additional cantrip for the cube for a while, but I never was really in to it. Having to leave up {U} any time my players wanted to loot and get to draw my card kind of felt a little bad, and led to play patterns I just didn't like. Hopefully making a cantrip with a madness cost of {0} will act as an appropriate payoff without being too good.​
Also, I know this art is from the DCI promo Mise. I like to recycle a little bit of Magic art from Key art and obscure promos because they have the feel I want. I don't do it often, but it is something I feel comfortable with doing.​
n7vyWAN.jpg
I'm happy with how Opt has been working in my cube, so I thought making a custom variant would make sense. Prefigure is an Opt variant that can also function as Divination with upside. I think this is the type of card that would be insane in eternal constructed but only decent in limited.​
WtNeJuH.jpg
I played with Anticipate constantly during it's first run through standard. Unfortunately, that card has just never quite done it for me in cube. I thought that adding flashback to an Anticipate effect would make the card even better, while playing into my graveyard and discard themes. Of all of my designs, this is the one I'm the least sure about.​
Sa44TZh.jpg
The art on this is foreshadowing, but you won't know this unless you pay attention whilst quoting or highlight this while reading...
I wanted to try making a rebound spell. I'm really happy with the look and feel of this card, but I think the Scry 1 in addition to the draw is maybe a little bit too much at this cost. I could make this cost {2}{U}, but doing that would make this card feel more like a medium-sized draw spell instead of a cantrip or impulse type thing.​
Of all the groups of cards I've fully designed so far, this batch is the group I'm least sure about. I can see these all breaking blue, but I can also see some of them being completely ignored.​

The {1}{U} -> {U}{U} cost structure on Winter's Rouse feels really inelegant. It's close enough to being the same cost that it may as well be. The card also seems too efficient. I'd try it at {U}{U} -> {U}{U} or {1} {U} -> {2}{U}.

Ancestral Impulse is also too strong. It's practically a Glimmer of Genius at half the cost. It would probably be fine at {2}{U}.

Miser's Gambit and Prefigure look about right to me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The {1}{U} -> {U}{U} cost structure on Winter's Rouse feels really inelegant. It's close enough to being the same cost that it may as well be. The card also seems too efficient. I'd try it at {U}{U} -> {U}{U} or {1} {U} -> {2}{U}.

Ancestral Impulse is also too strong. It's practically a Glimmer of Genius at half the cost. It would probably be fine at {2}{U}.

I have to agree. There's no need to be aggressive on flashback costs, just look at the perfectly cubeable Faithless Looting. I would put Winter's Rouse at a normal cost of 1U and a flashback cost of 3U.

Ancestral Impulse is really strong at 1U as well. I mean, Chart the Course exists, and that's really strong as well, even though you have to jump through some hoops to get the cost reduction. Ancestral Impulse has no such requirements and has the additional upside of scrying. However, putting it at 2U also seems a bit harsh. It's one of those cards that feels a bit in the middle, but since it's generally better than Divination, it's probably the right cost though. I was thinking though, maybe you could make it a second flashback spell, because the fact that it's a sorcery cantrip (essentially) gives you a great option to set it apart from Winter's Rouse! Inspired by Prismatic Strands, what if you replaced rebound with "Flashback—Tap an untapped blue creature you control."?

I like the {1} {U} -> {2}{U} option for Winter's Rouse. It seems like a more elegant version of what I was trying to go for.

I have to agree. There's no need to be aggressive on flashback costs, just look at the perfectly cubeable Faithless Looting. I would put Winter's Rouse at a normal cost of 1U and a flashback cost of 3U.

Ancestral Impulse is really strong at 1U as well. I mean, Chart the Course exists, and that's really strong as well, even though you have to jump through some hoops to get the cost reduction. Ancestral Impulse has no such requirements and has the additional upside of scrying. However, putting it at 2U also seems a bit harsh. It's one of those cards that feels a bit in the middle, but since it's generally better than Divination, it's probably the right cost though. I was thinking though, maybe you could make it a second flashback spell, because the fact that it's a sorcery cantrip (essentially) gives you a great option to set it apart from Winter's Rouse! Inspired by Prismatic Strands, what if you replaced rebound with "Flashback—Tap an untapped blue creature you control."?

I love the strands option for Ancestral Impulse! It even fits with the flavor I wanted to foster!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm thinking maybe the flashback should be choose 2. Not necessarily happy with the effects yet, more just a concept.

A minor nitpick is that the em-dash after the Flashback keyword is only used when non-mana flashback costs are involved. If the flashback is purely a mana cost, it should be just a space.

Since it's a snowball, it would be cool if it was actually a "snowballing" effect. Something like...

* Scry 2, then draw a card.
* Create a snowball creature with power and toughness equal to the number of cards in your hand. It has defender.
* Counter target spell unless its controller pays X, where X is the greatest power among creatures you control.
Flashback 3UUU

Like, this is a silly example maybe, but it gets across the idea :)