General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
giRMl3j.jpg

Does this count? :p
My favorite card long that line is deffinitly Brudiclad
Swinging with a bunch of Clues turned Karnstructs is super cool powerful and satisfying

It does count!

So basically all I need is to add Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer and then I have the opportunity of that happen rarely in the cube tournaments I host?

Man I wish Brudiclad was a little ‘better’ or cheaper. Or had on-color synergy with other stuff.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Note that if Saheeli changes a token into a copy of something else, Brudiclad can turn every token into a copy of the copy, so go ham! :D

Best play in my cube was using Saheeli to turn something into a monastery mentor.

Chris and Onde
You have peaked my interest. I’ll buy a copy (pun intended) of Brudiclad but I will change its cost to 3UR.

Also now I need a Quasiduplicate.

It's honestly pretty strong at 6. You get a 2/1 at beginning of combat with no other synergies, and that's a hell of a repeatable effect, even if it's vulnerable.
I've cut garruk variants for less

It's honestly pretty strong at 6. You get a 2/1 at beginning of combat with no other synergies, and that's a hell of a repeatable effect, even if it's vulnerable.
I've cut garruk variants for less

Well it might be pretty strong at six but correct me if I am wrong here: It has never been used in any format, right? This obviously excludes Riptide cubes where we actively try to lower the power level of our cubes.

And when you mention Garruk; there’s a 5 mana Garruk that makes repeatable 3/3s.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well it might be pretty strong at six but correct me if I am wrong here: It has never been used in any format, right? This obviously excludes Riptide cubes where we actively try to lower the power level of our cubes.

And when you mention Garruk; there’s a 5 mana Garruk that makes repeatable 3/3s.

Yeah, that's the one. Couldn't remember his name! Yeah I cut him for being too hard to muscle through. Amazing that with a minus ability that good, adding more pressure is still preferable a lot of the time.

It hasn't seen play in any format because it's only legal in legacy, so I wouldn't really put too much stock in that, it is a 6 drop. Not a ton of those seeing play in legacy/vintage
I guess cubes, but yeah I don't think this RU token payoff is cracking in powermax lists :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I tested Brudiclad in the past and liked him well enough, but ultimately didn't add him because my other two Izzet six drops felt more relevant to my themes at the time. I don't think Brudiclad is more powerful than, say, Sharding Sphinx, unless you're properly "abusing" his token-Mirrorweave ability.

Brudiclad is also legal in Commander besides the mentioned Legacy, Vintage and Cube.
I had never heard of the card before :p

Jeeesh I suddenly feel like there should be more ‘older’ formats. Or maybe all Commander products and Modern/Vintage Masters should instead be released as Modern Horizon variants that is also legal in Modern. Just to give these guys some fighting chances in the formats they’re legal in.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah but competitive commander is basically singleton vintage, and casual commander is no indication of a card's quality.

There's some real oddball cards in the commander sets, they're worth a look. I'm trying this weird ass card next draft, as a GB aristocrats payoff:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
gimme yr favourite lil guys with Reach. thanks!

Okay I'm not wholly happy here since all 3 things this card does are green, but:

Yavimaya Guardian.png
Gameplay wise I like it but this card isn't blue in the slightest.
Maybe it should just have flying?
I don't want it to call to mind, since a lot of the self mill deck is specifically creatures
Maybe it mills you and then you choose? That'd be blue.

I dunno yet.
Also yes swamp waifu. Artists are weird

Okay I'm not wholly happy here since all 3 things this card does are green, but:

View attachment 2766
Gameplay wise I like it but this card isn't blue in the slightest.
Maybe it should just have flying?
I don't want it to call to mind, since a lot of the self mill deck is specifically creatures
Maybe it mills you and then you choose? That'd be blue.

I dunno yet.
Also yes swamp waifu. Artists are weird

Maybe replace the Regrowth ability with an Impulse effect that mills instead of putting cards on the bottom. That effect would feel pretty Blue/Green since Green can only grab permanents off the top.

Design challenge

Madness enchantment

Design a mono-red 3 mana enchantment in the same family as these two:

Red already has Lightning Rift but it doesn’t trigger from discard in general and it doesn’t cost 3 mana. White has Astral Drift which I might change from cycling-only to any kind of discard. Green is not a madness color for me.

Your job is to design the red 3 mana enchantment.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Design challenge

Madness enchantment

Design a mono-red 3 mana enchantment in the same family as these two:

Red already has Lightning Rift but it doesn’t trigger from discard in general and it doesn’t cost 3 mana. White has Astral Drift which I might change from cycling-only to any kind of discard. Green is not a madness color for me.

Your job is to design the red 3 mana enchantment.

I'm going to go against the grain here:
2R
Enchantment
Whenever you cycle a card, you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.

Double up on your drake haven triggers :D

Well alright :)

I think what makes the new ones (Drake Haven etc.) better and easier to build around is the fact that they trigger from discard and not from cycle. Compare these two with the two I posted above.

and

Chris Taylor

Contributor
All I'm saying is that if you just want lightning rift but with an updated wording that costs 2R, I can mock that up in magic set editor

but you asked me to design something :p

2R enchantment

Whenever you cycle or discard a card, add {R}

Pays for the other two and does some nutty stuff with red looters/rummagers and is definitely breakable for combo decks. I would have a lot of fun building around this and I think I could do it in a couple different ways.

Edit: bonus designs for a non-blink white version:
Pay 1 create a 1/1 spirit (this is just a worse Spirit Cairn
Pay 1: Up to one target creature gains first strike. If it has first strike it gains double strike
Pay 1: make a treasure

Whelp, I guess I'm running custom cards now.
Obviously it's insane with a wheel but I love the idea of just getting to 1-mana Tormenting Voice or go off in aggro/madness type decks.

T1 guy
T2 battle dumpling
T3 enchantment
T3 Seasoned Pyromancer add RR Bloodrage Brawler add R Bomat Courier

Hell, just...Bomat Courier.....

Reactions: dbs
Obviously it's insane with a wheel but I love the idea of just getting to 1-mana Tormenting Voice or go off in aggro/madness type decks.

T1 guy
T2 battle dumpling
T3 enchantment
T3 Seasoned Pyromancer add RR Bloodrage Brawler add R Bomat Courier

Hell, just...Bomat Courier.....

Yeah, I literally just put Bomat Courier in the cube, so I'm ready to go. I'm envisioning some

nonsense.