General Custom Cards: The Lab

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh btw the MSE modern look over is still ongoing. I found a set thats ~450 cards who's name is a barely pronounceable palindrome themed around mirrors (no really)

However, this is interesting enough that I just gotta show you:
Tea of Augury.png

I think it's a bit powerful, so I'm going to be running this:

Archive of Alexandria.png
but I'm in

I like this card from that Rail War set you guys were talking about a couple months ago:
47.jpg

Flavor: Yes.
Mechanically? Destroy target vehicle that is a creature (Not sure how to word that exactly, but even narrow black smelt probably isn't in pie)

Not ‘That is a creature’
Just ‘Destroy target vehicle’

A charm can easily have two modes that are more often used than the third but the third being a narrow answer to a rare problem.

How far would I have to push Prossh Skyraider of Kher to make it playable at a high power level.
I'm thinking about this as a starting point:
Prossh, Terror of Kher.full.jpg
The ETB is a bit more abusable than an awkward cast trigger, trample is a big deal on the activation, and sacrificing itself is a minor bonus. I feel like this change (mainly the trample) makes it playable, but I'm not sure.

I must admit I really hate that regular cards started getting cast-triggers. It was suppose to only be on Eldrazi titans according to Wizards back when Rise of the Eldrazi came out in 2010. I just doesn’t seem so special anymore when seemingly anything can get it.

For that reason I like your Prossh change overall. I do not think you should allow it to sacrifice itself to give itself +1/+0 and trample though.

Normally when I errata already existing cards I do it by changing their mana cost with a sticker on top of the inner sleeve. I feel like it is the safest way to errata cards (although I admit it is a bit boring). If you decide to make a custom version with different card text then I applaud you for giving the card a sleightly new name! <3 Perfect!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think you can do more. You're talking about a six mana card that requires three colors in a world that drops Thundermaw Hellkite and Baneslayer Angel on five...

There's a few things you could change. Maybe inherently give it menace and trample, maybe drop the cost to {2}{B}{R}{G} (and have it make five tokens), maybe give it deathtouch and trample if you sacrifice a creature to make it super lethal, or maybe even more than one of those?

On second thought: Scratch what I said. I agree with Onde. You have an improvement but you can do more like Onde is saying.

What themes do you have in Jund?

My cube's Jund draft generally go one of two ways - efficient midrange value creatures (mostly green/black) and cheap removal (black/red), sometimes with an aristocrats (black/red) component and mana dorks to push out threats faster; or cheating out huge threats with things like reanimate / Sneak Attack / Natural Order. In theory Prossh should be able to play the role of a finisher for midrange, a sac outlet and token source for aristocrats, and a large threat for cheaty decks.
I'm away from my computer with MSE, but I like the idea of {2}{B}{R}{G} and inherent menace. I might also want to boost the tokens to 1/1 (and retheme to goblins). That doesn't add any power to the next turn attack, but makes the two turn plan scarier, and leaves a real force behind after spot removal. I feel like that probably justifies the card at 5 mana with no menace, might try it that way.

Akoum Rockrouser is probably safe. Spending 3 mana at sorcery speed to make a 3/1 haste is okay for keeping on pressure, but it's not going to win the game by itself. I'd expect it to be one of your stronger red 2 drops, but below Kari Zev and below the more narrow ones if their synergy is present.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I stand corrected
As someone on Reddit said (in a discussion on whether this was a bend or a break): "Magic artifacts aren't really black's thing. It likes personal power, not relying on outside help. But keying that asshole's car? Totally in flavor for black."

:')

For what it's worth, and I don't believe Velrun sees it any other way, as they are quite keen on the color pie, destroying artifacts in general (as in Shatter) is definitely outside of black's slice. Black can Murder artifact creatures nowadays though, and Vehicles are so awfully close to being creatures, that I don't think it's worth the extra rules text to specify that it can only hit them when they are animated.

Things are changing a little bit over time. This is why one cannot use a 15-year old card as an example of why a certain color should get a certain type of card. Without ever noticing that Daring Demolition before I still thought the custom card Derail should be able to destroy a Vehicle. Or at least I could joke about it.

In the future black does get a little bit of enchantment removal. But right now it looks like it will be in the “Which one do you want to sacrifice?”-type of card. See Commander 2019’s Mire in Misery

If they can get that, maybe they will also (one day) get the same type of pseudo artifact removal. What do you guys think?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

If they can get that, maybe they will also (one day) get the same type of pseudo artifact removal. What do you guys think?
I think I read somewhere that WotC was specifically looking for a third color to give anti-enchantment tools, because currently only white and green can do something about it. Given that red, green, and white makes for three colors that can destroy artifacts already, I don't think black artifact removal is something we should expect over time. The anti enchantment angle will probably be explored further though. To be honest, to me it would feel more natural if blue could handle enchantments, but I guess blue's slice of the color pie is still too big?

100 % agree on both!

Enchantment removal/disolving would feel kind of blue but I also agree that blue still has too much on its plate to be able to handle even more parts of the color pie. And now that they have chosen black as a new enchantment removal color, we won’t see it in blue within the next few years. I also think you are correct that they will try and find more creative ways for black to disrupt enchantments.

Other ways to pseudo-answer artifacts/enchantments:
Blue can counter
Black can discard
Red can land destruct