General Custom Cards: The Lab

have yall played eternal ccg at all, considering it's mostly an mtg clonegame with a mildly different color wheel despite the interface looking like hearthstone. it has a mechanic that would function like the "spell tokens" described here

Statuary%20Maiden.png
Nictotraxian.png
Obsidian%20Golem.png
Jotun%20Hurler.png
Yeti%20Snowslinger.png

fate is just "when u draw this card do x"
infiltrate is "the first time this deals damage to an opponent"
entomb is "when x dies"
the snowball is sorcery deal 1 to creature or player
the armor / cudgels just act like +2/+2 enchantments that you cant respond to casting

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Onderzeeboot

Do you think I could get your template file for the improved Conspiracy template that you've made solemnly for Scrolls?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3zMZ4ur0sE7ZzhxeVZjUHgydDA/view?usp=sharing

Unpack in the data folder of your Magic Set Editor 2 folder. This template only contains frames for monocolored and colorless conspiracies / scrolls. Technically there's a multicolor frame, but it looks shitty.

If you really, really, really need that gold frame, I could probably cook something up that looks a tiny bit more respectable, but it's a lot of work for someone who isn't that well versed in photoshopping, so I'ld rather not :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3zMZ4ur0sE7ZzhxeVZjUHgydDA/view?usp=sharing

Unpack in the data folder of your Magic Set Editor 2 folder. This template only contains frames for monocolored and colorless conspiracies / scrolls. Technically there's a multicolor frame, but it looks shitty.

If you really, really, really need that gold frame, I could probably cook something up that looks a tiny bit more respectable, but it's a lot of work for someone who isn't that well versed in photoshopping, so I'ld rather not :p

You're a charm and a champ!
I will test this in a few days. Thank you!

Laz

Developer
Ok, to drag this back from BTP territory (oh god! They are expanding!), the Cycling thread has me thinking about ways to re-template Lightning Rift to match Drake Haven. Templating it the same way is simple, but getting the card to the same power level is a little bit more difficult.

QgIIDUV.png

First thought was to simply bump the mana cost from {1}{R} to {2}{R}. Shock is probably comparably powerful to a 2/2 flyer, but Lightning Rift already has the tendency to mow down boards. There are three knobs I can twist here:
  • Initial mana cost
  • Cost per discard/cycle
  • Amount of damage
If I lower the amount of damage to 1, I have pretty free reign, and could likely make the cost per use {0} (Well, 'Whenever you cycle or discard a card, you may have ~ deal 1 damage to target creature or player'). I could make the effect an actual Shock, and charge {R} for it. I could play it safe and make it something like {1}{R}, and offset that by keeping the {1}{R} mana cost (or even just {R}).
Thus far, I think the three variants I am most happy about are:
{1}{R} - 'Whenever you cycle or discard a card, you may have ~ deal 1 damage to target creature or player'
{2}{R} - 'Whenever you cycle or discard a card, you may pay {1}. If you do, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player'
{1}{R} - 'Whenever you cycle or discard a card, you may pay {R}. If you do, ~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player'
It is hard to balance the value of a 2/2 flyer against creature removal. While Shock is a 1 CMC card, and Wind Drake is a 3 CMC one, I cannot help but feel a repeatable source of 2 damage is pretty strong. Then again, a repeatable source of 2/2 flyers is pretty strong too. It will probably come down to how many low toughness utility creatures and moderate sized flyers I have running around as to the relative strength of the effects. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, the difference between Shock and Wind Drake is that the drake can deal more damage to your opponent over time. I think the three mana variant is safe enough to try out. The free 1 damage may actually be too strong, since it doesn't force you off curve and can also be used with discard outlets for "massive" bursts.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Two ideas:

Idea the first: what colors is this card?
When ~ enters the battlefield, put the top seven cards of your library into your graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a card at random in your graveyard. Return that card to your hand.
Deadbridge Chant seems like a sweet card, and BUG in my cube is leaning graveyardy right now, but for a multicolored 6 drop enchantment, it seems quite weak. It's multicolored, and arguably worse than something basic like Honden of Seeing Winds.
Sure if you end up drawing a few cards when it comes into play VIA flashback or similar stuff, but I feel the mana cost tends to stand in the way of that.

I'm thinking 4CC, but I can't decide if I want it to be {2}{G}{B} or {2}{G}{U}

Idea the second:

{2}{W}
Flying
Creatures you control with power greater than their base power have flying.
3W: Target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
2/3

Abzan Falconer has an interesting idea behind it, but I feel it might be a bit hamhanded. Perhaps this presents an opportunity for a crossover appeal card.
This works with:
  • Prowess
  • Counters
  • Anthems
  • Overruns
  • Heroic
  • Exalted
  • Itself
Maybe those aren't all full archetypes in my list or yours, but hey, synergy where you can get it, right? :p

I'm not 100% sure idea the second actually works within the rules as written because layers? Power/toughness modI fiction is the bottom lahyer, so "hasn't happened yet" when this "checks" or something like that. Itd have to be worded as a trigger of some sort (beginning of each combat?)

Really? That doesn't sound like it would be a problem. It's just something true about your creatures, the same way all your goblins might have haste, so it doesn't really "check" per say.

Or do you mean if you have Godhead of Awe in play this thing will still check against printed power and toughness because of the layer order?
I mean that literally power is a lower layer than characteristic modification, so when the ability modifies the characteristic, power/toughness hasn't been xhanged. AKA power modification is only as "true" as the layers say they are. The example I read was that an enchantment that reads "creatures with power >4 have flying" does nothing with power boosting

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean that literally power is a lower layer than characteristic modification, so when the ability modifies the characteristic, power/toughness hasn't been xhanged. AKA power modification is only as "true" as the layers say they are. The example I read was that an enchantment that reads "creatures with power >4 have flying" does nothing with power boosting

That seems...really dumb...
Well if that card is literally unprintable as intended under the current rules, it's a good thing I play exclusively on paper with reasonable humans :p

Edit: Yup. Apparently the rules are designed such that Either this or Favorable Winds can exist, and they picked the one I'm not making into a card :p

I say that card is firmly GB. Green does the most random recursion from the graveyard by a good margin, and black I think does the most self mill on a creature etb for no immediate upside.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Had an interesting idea for a card that let you choose how much you wanted to sculpt your hand:

{1}{U}
instant
Choose one:
-Impulse
-Draw 3 discard 3
-Tolarian Winds

This probably works best with some sort of non-reanimator graveyard theme present, along the lines of threshold or delirium. Reanimator really only ever wants to discard 1-2 specific cards, so the choice would be pretty automatic.

Also, while the merits of a draw fixing spell that is already multicolored are pretty suspect, you could replace the Tolarian Winds with a goblin lore variant of like "Draw 5, discard 5 at random" where you're just plunging cards into your graveyard, but your hand might actually end up worse! That's not particularly blue however.

Laz

Developer
Had an interesting idea for a card that let you choose how much you wanted to sculpt your hand:

{1}{U}
instant
Choose one:
-Impulse
-Draw 3 discard 3
-Tolarian Winds

This probably works best with some sort of non-reanimator graveyard theme present, along the lines of threshold or delirium. Reanimator really only ever wants to discard 1-2 specific cards, so the choice would be pretty automatic.

Also, while the merits of a draw fixing spell that is already multicolored are pretty suspect, you could replace the Tolarian Winds with a goblin lore variant of like "Draw 5, discard 5 at random" where you're just plunging cards into your graveyard, but your hand might actually end up worse! That's not particularly blue however.

Seems cool. My issue is that Impulse is already pretty decent deal at {1}{U} and instant speed. I like the idea that the card offers you awesome selection, but it never quite replaces itself, so I would replace Impulse with something like a 'Look at the top 4 cards of your library, put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order. Then discard a card.' - A card selection loot if you will.

No idea how you are ever going to fit all of that text onto the card though. Why not something simple like 'Discard any number of cards from your hand, then draw that many cards.'? Or even just one-sided Flux?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah impulse is a bit wordy, and it feels weird to look at more cards with the first mode. Swap impulse for Preordain
That actually fits pretty well in terms of sheer text

edit:
Search for Answers.jpg

Gonna try something new: Custom Challenge!

I'm running a 20 % custom cube (this means 80 % MTG cards) and I am currently missing a single spot in my cube. So I am asking for your help to design a card for me.

----------

I challenge you all to design a card and I'm going to put 'the best' one into my cube. You will be given credit on the printed card for everyone to see.

The requirements:
1. The card must be mono white.
(It may have devoid but the mana cost must be purely white mana and generic mana)

2. The card must have a red 'kicker' of some sort.
(It doesn't have to use the keyword Kicker but it may. It can also have any other extra red mana payment like Unearth, Flashback or whatever. An example of this could be Ongoing Investigation that is a blue card but benefits the Simic player even more than it benefits the mono blue player.)

3. The card must be somewhat draftable and playable by a mono white player but reward the Boros player even more.
(Agood way of designing this is by letting the card be somewhat average for the mono white player and let the extra red ability be minor. The power level of the cube I'm running is pretty high but weaker than Mana Drain-level.)

Feel free to suggest cards in any form you see fit. You may write a card only in text form or even upload a complete MSE card with picture and all. It is up to you.

----------

Also feel free to skip this challenge if you don't feel for it :) You may begin.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Mardu Heartpiercer {2}{W}
Creature - Human Archer
Lifelink, Reach
When Mardu Heartpiercer enters the battlefield, if {R} was spent to cast it, it deals 2 damage to target creature or player.
2/3

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Any specific themes you've got in boros/white we should know about?

Also I threw together an actual card for my scaling draw fixer above:

Search for Answers.jpg

Also I threw together an actual card for my scaling draw fixer above:

Nice art. It suits very well.
However I do believe the card is a little off in my opinion. You have one ability that replaces itself and two that doesn't but both are card selection. They feel too alike in my opinion. What about a "Return target instant or sorcery from your graveyard to your hand."? It still suits the art and the name.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I like monstrosity a lot. Magic gains a lot from having these sort of "Once per game" effects, and there's a lot that wasn't used in Theros with this mechanic because it was specifically about vertical growth.

For a while I've had this card which has been surprisingly tame for blue savannah lions:
Benthic Seer Now.jpg
Like sure, Monstrosity is post-hoc kicker: why not let it have a spell like effect?

But we can go deeper:
Bloodthirsty Neonate Old.jpg
Now I'm not entirely sure I like this card, but the idea is there: The first time it deals damage, it gets a counter. You could also have him gain flying at that point, or lifelink, or something but that's a bit too much to cram on at this CMC. It's already a very easy to achieve 3/3 for 2 in black that can block.

This really sent me thinking though. What if we did this?
Benthic Seer.jpg
The 5 was always a bit much to activate unless it was the only thing you were doing, and when people did activate it in the lategame they usually had enough mana to play whatever they were returning, so this is less along the lines of "Actually letting people cast what they return" and more "Expanding their options if the need is pressing".
Might want to be reduced for noncreature spells only, but I could go either way on that one. It does come down and activate for 5, which is a bit weird.

Then I started thinking, what if we started applying this template to other existing creatures?
Battle-Mad Raider.jpg From:
The cards aren't that different, but the low end is a bit nicer, you can just cast it for {4}{R}{R} lategame and get your creature, and it still has that bloodthirsty flavor in there.
It's a little akward with the odd dodge of the double reminder text, since I'd need to combine the reminder text for bloodthirst and monstrostiy in the same set of brackets, so I just spelled it out.

Again, numbers aside (Given the hour I made these they're all likely too strong) I think there's probably some cool space here. It's more text, but with pretty intuitive gameplay behind it that could be worth exploring.

Edit: Wait shit I forgot the most important one:
Slippery Proteus.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Damage to players causes loss of life, so you don't need to spell it out (though usually that part is in reminder text). See, e.g.,