General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thanks! Yeah, I'm of the opinion that Magic needs more of Mana Tithe and Lapse of Certainty. Conditional counterspells that exist as an extension of taxing effects and temporary removal that are already part of white's color pie. Blue doesn't need to hog all the counterspells!

But blue does get 100 % of the counter spells according to the color pie. Yes Alara had one exception 12 years ago but that was before Modern became a thing. The color pie has been updated several times since. And Planar Chaos had one 13 years but that set was the alternate dimension set of MtG.

But cube gains access to all sets and all of MtG history so even though white no longer gets AS efficient removal as Swords to Plowshares we can still add them to cube. Same here with your design.

However it is my only critique and it always has to be mentioned if anyone is asking for critique. What other rules can we follow than the ones we are being told by our Mothership?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But blue does get 100 % of the counter spells according to the color pie.

Well, ackchyually... (ugh... sorry, I'm :rolleyes: at myself right now ;))

According to MaRo's most recent in-depth article about the color pie from 2017, white in fact does have tertiary access to counterspells. I admit it's from a while ago (and I'ld love for him to do an update), but it's certainly more recent than Alara. They just don't use it very often. In fact, since Alara, they only used it once, on Frontline Medic. Anyway, the point is a bit moot, as I was just voicing an opinion. I wish white would get more (soft) counterspells, but wishing it doesn't make it true.

For the record, I don't think straight up Cancel is something white should ever have access to. White's counterspells should be situational and/or soft in nature, and they should be weaker than blue's best options. Think Turn Aside or Force Spike, not Cancel or Mana Leak.

Here, have a like :)

Cool I thought they completely took that away from White since they didn’t print any white counter spell for more than a decade. I always thought, in my own little world, that the idea behind Mana Tithe was abandoned but that the card was iconic enough that players would keep thinking “White has access to situational counter spells”. But maybe they have a few white counter spells on the way. Would be cool to shake things up like that. Most players feel like Red has grown and become a color that is more than just rage and aggro. Black now gets enchantment removal. Maybe white should get some soft counters.

Your card would be the perfect example of how it could be done!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The colorshifted warkite marauder and remand make me laugh :p

These are neat:
jeOH3Jv.png

GNZE4Yh.jpg
(There's gotta be a better way to word this, but it's super dope)

uuPWkeD.jpg
z45ZuWg.png
dL1EVTb.png
k5c5Vvd.png
OfFwHcj.png
h6LM0Ae.png
6rVcTac.jpg
Ujejn5l.png

0O0EzOf.jpg

QP8fAK1.png

Anyone know the artist for this? I love the art

NGchx6L.png
8pL4YBv.png

Hey I know this one!

aQcih6V.png

I'm not sure why you'd do fetchlands this way (though truth be told I didn't take a hard look at the non-custom cards in the cube)
It triggers drake haven, and you've kinda always got the baseline of "fetching a gate" by just playing it.
You also can't save shuffles for later while playing the land, which I suppose is minor compared to the regular baseline consistency. Maybe this is just fetchlands powered up, there's also the 1cmc rocks (Guildname Mana Stone) that fix, so maybe he's just aiming for somewhere above regular.

Thanks @Onderzeeboot for sharing my cube here.

@Chris, thanks for taking a look at my cube. I have indeed some cards of your cube. I am always looking for more fun cards to add.
Thanks for noticing the missing artist credit on Wild Safekeeper, I have added it. This is the art source: https://www.deviantart.com/digitalsashimi/art/Mona-The-Forest-Templar-478676338
As for the discard fetches. I like fetches in cube, helps with fixing, fills graveyard and helps with lands in graveyard archetype. Some people add two cycles of the fetches instead. However with custom cards I can keep the singleton constraint and have a different type of fetch lands in my cube. I found these fetches here: https://www.reddit.com/r/custommagic/comments/4fjrc5/the_unofficial_cube_higher_power/
Most of the custom cards in my cube are not designs by myself. I just added all my sources designer and art to the notes of the card on CubeCobra.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
GNZE4Yh.jpg
(There's gotta be a better way to word this, but it's super dope)

Thanks @Onderzeeboot for sharing my cube here.

You're welcome :)

Under Arrest got the attention of XRS as well, and I've posted two possible fixes for this card in his thread. Click here :)

Note that Pawel Mielniczuk does not seem to be the artist for this piece. Instead I've seen it attributed to Bryan Sola on various sites. Paweł Mielniczuk does seem to have been involved with The Witcher III, but as a 3d modeler, going by his ArtStation gallery. Meanwhile, while I can't find the art in Bryan Sola's ArtStation gallery either, he actually painted pieces for Gwent (where this art is originally from), so I'm inclined to believe the sources.

Well shoot I had no idea you were here! :p
I'll be sure to check through that custom cube for more ideas

I wasn't, but Onderzeeboot linked this forum on the MTG Cube Brainstorming Discord. I just finished going through this forum starting on page 1, that was a lot. I saw you shared a lot of cards of my cube per color some pages earlier.

After drafting we came to the conclusion that a 1 mana Thespian's Dryad is too strong, so I have changed it too this: https://i.imgur.com/JNVcAhO.png. A 2 mana 0/2.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Turns out giving everything madness equal to the mana cost was a bit too good after all! I tweaked it ever so slightly, and this card is gas. I managed to put together the perfect deck for it, and boy was it an engine!

Edit: New version a few posts ahead.
Haggler's Haunt.full.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The card is deceptively powerful. Add a discard outlet, and everything in your hand effectively has flash! The 1 life tax is more than warranted, I feel.

Maybe just bump it to 4 cost then?

Also I feel like it's a Grixis card. Or at least red somehow (Maybe Rakdos). It draws you a card every turn and it discards a card every turn. But the discarded card may be played if you have the mana for it. Very red.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Maybe just bump it to 4 cost then?

Also I feel like it's a Grixis card. Or at least red somehow (Maybe Rakdos). It draws you a card every turn and it discards a card every turn. But the discarded card may be played if you have the mana for it. Very red.

I think it's okay at three mana, and I need it to be UB because that's the discard matters guild in my cube. I definitely agree that it could be BR, but I don't run BR in my cube :)