General Debate Topics

I know you just wrote an article, but this occurred to me today, and that I'd love to see an article on it.

Cantrips in cube increase consistency, but also power some themes; storm, combo, spells-matter, threshold, etc. Are cantrips a negative play experience in terms of improving blue, being 'boring' draft picks, and making games less diverse, or are they a valuable tool?

I know you just wrote an article, but this occurred to me today, and that I'd love to see an article on it.

Cantrips in cube increase consistency, but also power some themes; storm, combo, spells-matter, threshold, etc. Are cantrips a negative play experience in terms of improving blue, being 'boring' draft picks, and making games less diverse, or are they a valuable tool?
I'm not sure it's empowering blue, but it's cramming a little more necessity into playing blue to start cramming in a bunch of themes that typically rely on blue spells and also just get along great with each other.

I rather like the idea of looking for alternatives native to other colours, and trying to push more off coloured, but synergystic strategies to take some of the pressure off blue. Things like Manamorphose and even say, Burning-Tree Shaman go a little ways to making some of these decks feel more at home outside of the usual shell, and token generating spells like Lingering Souls or Waylay (as it was originally worded) go a long way to making Delver of Secrets and spells matter cards feel at home in multiple decks.

This has been your daily Peasant Magic Moment.