General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't take too much to make a theme felt. For example, the average SOM draft only had 7.8 cards with the word "Proliferate" on them. Wizards uses their mechanics far more sparingly than we perceive. A little bit goes a long way.

CML

Contributor
no love for this thread? love for this thread.

(edit:jesse: contagion engine)

cube_ub.jpg

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I love this thread, but it's smack dab in exam season and all my regulars are tied up at the moment.

This deck looks awesome Chris. I always liked Sewer Nemesis, and I just don't have room for him at the moment. Liliana + Deep Analysis is pretty awesome.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I have no idea how to add cards that aren't in my collection in the MTGO beta client, so you guys get a big ol' list instead.

Creatures (15)
1 Goblin Guide
1 Intimidator Initiate
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Stromkirk Noble

1 Dark Confidant
1 Kargan Dragonlord
1 Keldon Marauders
1 Plated Geopede
1 Oona's Prowler
1 Stormblood Berserker

1 Boggart Ram-Gang
1 Manic Vandal

1 Avalanche Rider
1 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells (8)
1 Adventuring Gear
1 Burst Lightning

1 Arc Trail
1 Incinerate
1 Searing Blaze

1 Stone Rain

1 Flame Javelin

1 Earthquake

Lands (17)
2 Blood Crypt
1 Mutavault
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Teetering Peaks
1 Wooded Foothills

9 Mountain
2 Swamp

EDIT: Super belated edit, to test out new cubedeck tags!

Rakdos Deck Wins

CML

Contributor
^^^wow nice ones

for some reason ive searched far and wide for equipment and have not considered the quite-powerful adventuring gear........ im gonna toss it in asap

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Adventuring Gear is baller. Especially with Double Strikers and 20 fetchlands. But really, getting +2/+2 off of a single landfall trigger is often significantly better than Bonesplitter's +2/+0. The extra toughness enables creatures to win battles instead of trading.

CML

Contributor
yep, played a bit with it in SOM standard (when just getting back into the game), was a high pick in ZZW draft too

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Not to heap more unnecessary praise on the land utility idea, but I found that with nearly mono red decks like the one above, I was always tempted to shave my land count to 16 and sometimes even 15, because flooding with a bunch of 1/1 dorks on the table is just so bad. But when I can pick up useful lands like Tectonic Edge and Teetering Peeks between packs, I'm much more amenable to running the full 17. This has the wonderful side effects of smoothing out my mana, and increasing the value of landfall cards, particularly Geopede and the aforementioned Adventuring Gear. It harkens back to Zendikar-era standard, when people would debate whether it was correct to run 25 or 26 (!!) lands in their Boros landfall aggro decks.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Other fun equipment: Sigil of Distinction, Basilisk Collar, Mask of Riddles/Memory, Runechanter's Pike, Bonehoard

CML

Contributor
yep, it was boros aggro in ZEN-SOM standard that i ran the gear. hawks n mystics before hawks n mystics were cool!

dom: i've found nobody wanted to play sigil or the masks, though i had em in for weeks and weeks. collar has always been pretty popular, ditto pike and bonehoard (especially with the graveyard theme)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Basilisk Collar is a fun one. I still have fond memories of a "Sparkblade" deck I made before SparkBlade existed that grabbed Basilisk Collar with Trinket Mage and paired it with Cunning Sparkmage / Inferno Titan.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Agent is as ridiculous as you would expect. Look at the targets. There are so many Legacy-quality cards to hit. Main thing is to hold the Agent if they have an empty board, lest you cascade into a kill spell.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Lotus Cobra is pretty good even without fetches. It fixes your mana and accelerates, all without tapping. Any land drop will let you play T3 4-drops, which is a pretty important tempo boost. Lotus Cobra was probably the best 2-drop in that deck.

CML

Contributor
i know, that's why i typically run 3-5 fewer than the other colors (and far fewer gold cards in U). sweet deck though, drafted by the finest legacy player in WA -- i love having over people who push the boundaries of cube on one hand. on the other i guess i just like losing to my dad

edit: i appreciate the naya deck a lot more

CML

Contributor
nah, i feel better about yelling at him to play faster when he's my opponent and not my teammate.

This was a lot of fun to play. If I wouldve had some more 1 drops I wouldve probably kept Armada in the side. Overall though it was the quickest most aggressive deck for the night and beat out 2 UB Control decks and one UG Midrange.
Naya_Beats.jpg

Reactions: CML