General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This was a lot of fun to play. If I wouldve had some more 1 drops I wouldve probably kept Armada in the side. Overall though it was the quickest most aggressive deck for the night and beat out 2 UB Control decks and one UG Midrange.

Sarkhan Vol, love it!

What does Sarkhan do for you guys? Either one? I've never really played either when they did anything interesting.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy, what don't they do? Well, I play a ton of sacrifice and threaten effects, and both Sarkhans are nuts. The last time I played with Sarkhan the Mad he spent all draft turning little dorks into 5/5 dragons. In my cube it's not uncommon to see either Sarkhan involved in a "steal your creature, sacrifice it for huge value" type of play.

CML

Contributor
I like both Sarkhans and run them sometimes, the main problem is that there are too many sweet gruul and rakdos cards. if they made a 'sarkhan the izzet' or 'lawmage mr. sarkhan' i'd run em every time no doubt

Ive never gotten a chance to try Sarkhan the Mad. Vol was amazing for me in the deck I posted earlier. I never got to use the threaten affect but pumping my team and giving a guy haste is just awesome. Heres how one game went.

T1 - Savannah Lions, T2 - Attack(18)/Play Stromblood Berserker, T3 - Attack(13)/Play Blade Splicer, Turn 4 - Play Sarkhan/Attack for lethal.

My opponent was too busy durdeling around.

I can't wait to play a game with him and Gargadon ;)

My last game at the Modern Masters sealed last night, he had Sarkhan Vol out, and two goblins. I had Dreamspoiler Witchers, and when I played dragged down was able to kill both tokens. Yay me!

Then he cast Glacial Ray, Empty the Warrens for six goblins, Vol'ed them into 2/2 hasters, won the match. Haste is such an underrated ability...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
This was a lot of fun to play. If I wouldve had some more 1 drops I wouldve probably kept Armada in the side. Overall though it was the quickest most aggressive deck for the night and beat out 2 UB Control decks and one UG Midrange.
Naya_Beats.jpg

What program is that from Sterling?

Oh, I just did it for convenience, I thought that was standard. Any questions you cant make out? I can just tell you what they are.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The convention I've seen is to sort by converted mana cost, but it's not so important. I can't tell what some of the creatures in the UWR deck are.

The convention I've seen is to sort by converted mana cost, but it's not so important. I can't tell what some of the creatures in the UWR deck are.
The creatures from the top down in UWR: Azorius Guildmage, Wind Drake, Boros Reckoner, Mercurial Chemister, Ascended Lawmage, Minister of Impediments, Boros Guildmage, Gelectrode, Frostburn Weird, Viashino Firstblade, Fluxcharger, Giant Solifuge.

This was actually my deck. My mentality going into packs two and three were to try to pick up Gelectrode, Fluxcharger, Wee Dragonauts, and Nivix Cyclops to run something like Izzet Blitz. Unfortunately, the guy to my right was also in UWR, so I missed both Dragonauts and Cyclops. I ended up having a much more solid list than him in general however.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
As usual, I stunk up the joint, but my two teammates did quite a number on our opponents.

Grixis Control

Creatures (8)
Dungeon Geists
Epochrasite
Falkenrath Aristocrat
Murderous Redcap
Olivia Voldaren
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Thundermaw Hellkite
Vendilion Clique

Spells (12)
Compulsive Research
Condescend
Cruel Ultimatum
Cryptic Command
Duress
Into the Roil
Remand
Rune Snag
Threads of Disloyalty
Thoughtseize
Ultimate Price

Artifacts (3)
Mind Stone
Prismatic Lens
Wayfarer's Bauble

Lands (17)
Blood Crypt
Cascade Bluffs
Creeping Tar Pit
Desolate Lighthouse
Faerie Conclave
Polluted Delta
Shivan Reef
Steam Vents
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Wooded Foothills
Island
Mountain
Swamp

Sideboard (3)
Liliana's Specter
Spell Pierce
Stone Rain
Cruel Ultimatums cast: 3

Simic Hexproof (kinda)

Creatures (13)
Arbor Elf
Delver of Secrets
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Frost Titan
Gyre Sage
Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
Looter il-Kor
Noble Hierarch
Ohran Viper
Pelakka Wurm
Simic Sky Swallower
Thrun, the Last Troll
Troll Ascetic

Planeswalkers (2)
Garruk Wildspeaker
Jace, Architect of Thought

Spells (10)
Ancestral Vision
Bribery
Life from the Loam
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss
Overrun
Plow Under
Ponder
Preordain
Revenge of the Hunted
Thirst for Knowledge

Lands (15)
Halimar Depths
Misty Rainforest
Mystifying Maze
Shelldock Isle
Yavimaya Coast
Forest
Island

Sideboard (1)
Oblivion Stone
Number of one-landers kept with only Halimar Depths, that won easily: 2

CML

Contributor
once upon a time there was a blind dude who played L5R in these parts (according to legend) by the name of jamie tachiyama. as he was sightless, when his foes brought foiled-out decks his was brailled-out. quickly he and his assistant compiled a ludicrous record, perhaps with enough cash prizes to constitute not just beer money but money for other kinds of fun teenage things. alas, it all came to an end when jamie's assistant looked away for a minute, and a judge caught him in the act of slipping a number of cards from his library (or whatever they call it in that game) into a pouch and drawing from that pouch an equal amount. (jamie still plays mtg -- he's at nearly every big event in seattle and environs -- and i dunno if his integrity has ever been impugned after that. the details of the story have been submerged by time, and i'd be worried that someone would find this post if riptidelab had a braille thing going on.)

Number of one-landers kept with only Halimar Depths, that won easily: 2

really, though, usually i'll pitch one-landers

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
This is how it went.

Bryan: Hmmmm. [Shows me one-lander with Halimar Depths and a bunch of four & five drops] Is this ok?
Me: THROW THAT BACK
Bryan: (Thinking) Ok. Keep.