General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Stretching the theme of the thread to its breaking point, here's 'Deck that 1-0ed our TO's comeback event, where Limited chaff was tipped into a paddling pool and we scrambled around in it for the duration of Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy' to grab cards to build a Limited deck, before I got sick and went home':

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This year's Easter Cube-a-thon produced some fun decks. Here's the list I went 2-1 with in a local's powered Cube (though he cut Swords, some of the fast mana, and so on for being GRBS):

This deck was so sweet! Drafting, deckbuilding, and gameplay all threw up some interesting puzzles. The Squee/Loam + Daretti/Masticores interactions were really fun, and I want to try pushing them in my own Cube's RG section especially now that we have more Madness cards.

We also drafted my Cube, which now means I have a fresh batch of decklists to do stuff with; this might give me the nudge I needed to finally make a proper thread. Here's the deck I won with, I tried to force 4/5CC to see how well the 'goodstuff' deck would work and... it was a bit too good, heh. I didn't face some of the scarier decks though, so who knows.

We had this win our draft yesterday, an interesting one that somehow got away with running 15 lands. Lots of different lines of play with this one, even an infinite combo built-in:

Little Abzan Combo

I've got a more detailed write-up in my cube blog.

Gu ramp

MVPs: Natural order for woodfall primus, overrun winning 3 games, stunted growth being a 3 turn time walk and dig through time finding all the answers in tough spots.
Most underwhelming: scroll rack

1 Modern tournament, 2 pre-releases and 2 cubes behind me, this is a weekend to my liking ! :D
My loot from the pre-releases were 2x Arlinn Kord (one foil) and 1 Thing in the ice, also i could trade almost all the cards that i wanted to try in my cube from the new set with the exception of Nahiri and Declaration in stone (which are proxies in my cube).

But here are the two 3-0's:

First one was a "5c Blue Control", where the 5c means Who/What/When/Where/Why that can be used via Lotus Petal

I really dig the Trinket Mage into Hangarback Walker, so nuts. Also how an earth can someone pull off a mono blue deck in cube, that is insane :D
One of our players shouted out how Thopter Spy Network might be too good in my cube, which kinda makes sense, since it might even be a little better than Bitterblossom at times.
I have to keep an eye on that card, since it really can warp games that drag out because there aren't that many enchantment removal spells and i'm not going to add more just to answer cards like this..

Second deck looks almost like a constructed deck.
Grixis Tempo Control Combo:

This deck seemed to run pretty consistent, Falkenrath Aristocrat was the only card with no real synergy with the deck, but it still won games just by being a haste 4/1 in the air just like everyone would expect..

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Went a combined 11-0 with these beauties at last week's Cube session:

Khans Cube (5-0):

lJNV1M6.jpg

Based on this you might think the Cube is fairly generic, and that's no coincidence: I was able to put together a deck of good cards that would work well in any Cube by ignoring the Khan-based synergy stuff; the difference between Ivorytusk Fortress and Inferno Titan is vast. Nothing much going on other than the Boros Reckoner + Valorous Stance + Azorius Charm/Jeskai Charm backdoor infinite life combo.

Highlight: Using Narset to rebound Bribery, taking Wurmcoil Engine and then Prime Speaker Zegana

Powered Cube (3-0):

Td7wvhp.jpg

Powered Cubes may not be en vogue around here but it's fun to go crazy every so often. I first picked Time Walk and didn't look back, ending up with this obscenity.

Highlight: Possibly the silliest turn of Magic I've ever played: ultimate Ugin, Time Walk, Time Spiral, Nissa + flip Nissa, Mystical Tutor for Time Walk, +1 Nissa, Time Walk, Regrowth, Time Walk

non-singleton Graveyard Cube (3-0):

FwkykdL.jpg

This deck was great and a nice guide to how to incorporate the aggro graveyard deck into my own Cube: Golgari Grave-Troll was key here.

Highlight: T4 kill thanks to the combo of Wild Mongrel + Become Immense being even more absurd than both cards are individually

Drafted my cube Friday night. Defeated a pair of mardu decks, one more aggro, one more midrange, BUG graveyard bullshit and BG lands.

I lost one game to the lands deck where they had Black Mike out and needed to find a way to deal extra damage to me before I killed them with Keiga, and Life got there really hard. Keiga and Keranos both won games. Clever Impersonator and Hallowed Spiritkeeper won me a super tight game vs a resolved Elspeth, Sun's Champion. That walker looks like GRBS but has somehow led to really fun games so far. My opponent even had Bonfire of the Damned and spiritkeeper's 5 tokens on death was so huge. The counterspell suite was super fun and led to some great moments like my opponent only paying 4 mana for Profane Command to play around leak when the card I had up was the Prohibit. Not sure if Chaos Warp is good enough in this format though. I got bit by it when I sidegraded something for 3 mana.

Jeskai Control

4 Color Goodstuff

I just 3-0'd a draft with this deck. It was a pod of six, and the only other experienced player was on black devotion, so I was basically able to grab all of the fixing and a lot of the best cards. This deck has it all: a powerful top end, ramp to get there, a suite of flexible answers, and high average card quality. The highlight was going T2 Voyaging Satyr -> T3 Market Festival -> T4 Genesis Hydra into Angel of Serenity.

Just 6-0'd (12-2 in games) a 7 man draft with this ungodly deck:

BR Aggro and Zombies

The customs are Take Command and Collapsing Plane
Take Command.pngCollapsing Plane.png
Double Stroke named Searing Blaze, and Muzzio's Preparations named Bob, which was also my commander.

I ended up with exactly enough playables due to an aggressive Agent of Acquisitions (used it pack 2 pick 4 for 6 playables out of 12 cards), but the ones I had were pretty great, even if the 4 drops were a little lackluster. I got Take Command fourth pick, and it was kind of broken. Guaranteed turn 2 Bob every game was stupidly good, and I'm not sure if there's a way to make the card fair. Tricks with Collapsing Plane, Gravecrawler, Ophiomancer, and Carrion Feeder were massively fun and made for some great board clears / lethals. Relentless Dead was never cast, even though I drew it a few times, but that's probably just because I always had a better 2 drop. I also never activated Grim Lavamancer, just because most of my games were over so quickly.

The draft itself was really fun because after I pulled the trigger on Agent of Acquisitions too early, it was a tough balancing act between picking up some more fixing and just enough playables to build a deck (Goblin Welder being the only on-color card in my sideboard). The ability/requirement to pitch cards to cast Bob gave me a little slack on including a couple weaker cards. I also had Worldknit (from the Agented pack) as a backup plan, but I didn't want to have to do that.

I lost one game to artifact ramp into Wildfire out of a URw Tezz-based control deck (which only lost to me), and one game to a GWb Lifebound Druid-based ramp deck (featuring Unexpected Chromanticore) that out-aggroed me once. The other decks were UB control with Booster Tutor (12 boosters tutored on the day), RGw rampy midrange, UB control with Abyssal Persecutor, and a BG deck I don't really remember because it didn't do much.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So how many lands would you play in this deck?

Customs are:
iKjWqRL.jpg
PN6Bh0C.jpg
wliWdA8.jpg
H64Bif0.jpg
QM2Dpui.jpg
xLkuKA7.jpg
ZBGajNa.jpg
ZBGajNa.jpg
4QVdfPy.jpg
UQw8OGw.jpg

I went with 14 (Might have been wrong) and had a grand old time killing people with our good buddy threaten, either lucky enough or skilled enough to kill people without wasteland or delver (the current cards with an outcry of "nerf me!").

More cards need flashback - Sac a creature, since that made me think really hard about weather I wanted to block with topdecked stromkirk nobles to save 6-8 life sometimes. Ancient Mantra also requires a card to discard, and there were plenty of interesting moments where I had to tell myself to not play a land even when it might have let me play a spell and swing with Ghitu Encampment in the same turn later.

Jori En, Ruin Diver did a lot of work. I think the way to play this card is really on turn 4 Her --> Brainstorm or Distortion Strike or something nice. I got a lot of value over the night from holding back her or Young Pyromancer so I could play them + Spell next turn.

Laz

Developer

Not just big Red, but HUUUGE Red

So... I finally drafted the Cloudpost pile. The main lesson learned is that Trading Post is one hell of a card. The Hangarback Walker+Trading Post engine was only assembled once, and it was basically unstoppable (even after the board got wrathed by Phyrexian Rebirth, making an 11/11! Also, fun learning, Duplicant is 'nontoken creature' which means it doesn't get that damn Horror).

Deck was tonnes of fun. I recurred Mindslaver twice with Daretti, made a 13/13 Hangarback walker (yes, that is 26 mana. Cloudpost is pretty busted, thanks Prime Time.), and blew a lot of people out with Anger of the Gods. Mana was as clunky as one would expect with 7.5 colourless lands, and getting double Red or double green was a pain.
Wildfire was only ever cast to clear blockers in order to alpha-strike, though that may have been a function of when it was drawn. I had an occasion where I could have cast it turn 4 off of a Cloudpost, Glimmerpost, Stomping Ground, Forest and Signet, but losing 2 precious sources of green mana as well as the start of the Cloudpost engine felt too bad. Their inclusion was likely the main problem in deckbuilding here, but I had no idea how the deck would work, and it looked like it could be a Wildfire one.

All in all, super fun deck, and I had no idea the archetype even existed before it happened.

Finally moved into a new place and of course had people over to cube. 0-3'd trying out a GB Ulvenwald Mysteries + Gravecrawler and sac outlets deck (I think the deck would work if I had an actual curve), then 3-0'd with this:

WWu

Never actually drew any of the 2 drops or Blade Splicer. Mother of Runes protecting a leveler or Whirler Rogue/Ajani forcing through Geist won the short games, Hallowed Spiritkeeper + Ranger of Eos + Colonnade won the long games. I think I only activated Factory to sac it to Liliana or to use Whirler Rogue's ability on Geist.

We did a Type 4 + normal 3 person draft: two games of FFA 3 player Type 4 where you could remove 10 cards from your pool, then round robin (so 2 matches) of normal games with 40 card decks. In a 3 man draft, I was alone in blue, so that was nice.

My Type 4 deck was:

Type 4 Control

My normal deck was:

OP blue control

The customs are:
Silly Putty.pngIt of Many Shapes.pngGrave Mimic.png

Silly Putty searched for Ugin, Lurking Automaton was 9/9. I won three games with hasty Frost Titan and three games with infinite Murderous Redcap (with Muzzio's Preparations and Greater Gargadon).

EDIT: Just played 4 extra games, so the normal deck is 10-0 in games and the type 4 deck is 2-0.

Highlights included:
  • Infinite thopters with Gargadon + Grave Mimic + Glen Elendra + Whirler Rogue.
  • Ugin's ultimate, dropping 6 lands. The next turn, I had all four planeswalkers in play.
  • Ugin -3, exiling all four of my opponent's nonland permanents (2-3 cost creatures) and none of my five nonland permanents (JTMS, Whirler Rogue, tokens).
  • Getting Drain, Snapcaster and 2 lands off FOF because giving me JTMS and a land would have been worse.
  • If Hangarback is killed by Skinrender's ETB, I still get tokens because of how SBAs apply.
  • Targeting myself with Liliana's -2 to sacrifice Redcap for lethal.

A couple of sweet decks from a 1v1 grid today

BWug control

RWu midrange

I never noticed Mikaeus was an anthem until today

Wrecked with this pile of hot garbage last night.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cube-grixis-pile/

(I tried quoting people's posts and copying deck tags to make it work but its just impossible)

This deck was a blast. I didn't even know what archetype I was playing half the time but the deck consistently ran smoothly and always had ways of playing however it needed to. I don't know how I did this. We were trying to figure out how the deck was actually working and if being really flexible and hard to predict is a distinct theater. Or maybe its just aggro-combo-control-midrange-stuff.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Wrecked with this pile of hot garbage last night.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cube-grixis-pile/

(I tried quoting people's posts and copying deck tags to make it work but its just impossible)

This deck was a blast. I didn't even know what archetype I was playing half the time but the deck consistently ran smoothly and always had ways of playing however it needed to. I don't know how I did this. We were trying to figure out how the deck was actually working and if being really flexible and hard to predict is a distinct theater. Or maybe its just aggro-combo-control-midrange-stuff.
How was mystic speculation?