General [DOM]Dominaria

First of: SPOILER ALERT!!

As of right now a large portion of the set has been spoiled but not visually revealed which means you have two options:
1. Keep reading and get spoiled with boring written spoilers.
2. Don’t read and wait for Wizards of the Coast to reveal the cards themselves in all their beauty.

Now on to the topic

Today Wizards made a mistake and handed us a chinese version of the FAQ for Dominaria. They later translated it into English and here it is.

http://media.wizards.com/2018/downloads/DOM_Release_Notes/EN_MTGDOM_ReleaseNotes.docx

New keywords, new wordings, new subtypes.

I feel like this card is going into many Riptide cubes. Especially the ones that has decided to abandon 1 and 2 mana ramps.

Powerstone Shard
Artifact
T: Add C for each artifact you control named Powerstone Shard.

It looks like this set is super story driven and "top-down" flavour designed, which usually I see as red flags.....but I can't help it, I love the setting and the characters, I'm so excited.

They're reprinting Thorn Elemental! That was the foil rare in the first product I ever got (7th Edition starter set).

I really like the look of the sagas. Also historical and artifact overlap needs a bit more thinking through but should be potentially good. Powerstone shard seems pretty terrible,there are lots of better colorless options at the three drop.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm sure this is only a fraction of the interesting cards in the set, but there's already so many. I could have picked a few more from the spoiler cards, but these drew my eye the most. I did recently pick up commander again, which makes this set waaaaay more interesting than when I just had my cube...

Blackblade Reforged {2}
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each land you control.
Equip legendary creature {3}
Equip {7}

Broken Bond {1}{G}
Sorcery
Destroy target artifact or enchantment. You may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield.

Darigaaz Reincarnated {4}{B}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature — Dragon
Flying, trample, haste
If Darigaaz Reincarnated would die, instead exile it with three egg counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Darigaaz is exiled with an egg counter on it, remove an egg counter from it. Then if Darigaaz has no egg counters on it, return it to the battlefield.
7/7

Dark Bargain {3}{B}
Instant
Look at the top three cards of your library. Put two of them into your hand and the other into your graveyard. Dark Bargain deals 2 damage to you.

Deep Freeze {2}{U}
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has base power and toughness 0/4, has defender, loses all other abilities, and is a blue Wall in addition to its other colors and types.

Demonlord Belzenlok {4}{B}{B}
Legendary Creature — Elder Demon
Flying, trample
When Demonlord Belzenlok enters the battlefield, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card, then put that card into your hand. If the card's converted mana cost is 4 or greater, repeat this process. Demonlord Belzenlok deals 1 damage to you for each card put into your hand this way.
6/6

The Eldest Reborn {4}{B}
Enchantment — Saga
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Each opponent sacrifices a creature or planeswalker.
II — Each opponent discards a card.
III — Put target creature or planeswalker card from a graveyard onto the battlefield under your control.

Fight with Fire {2}{R}
Sorcery
Kicker {5}{R} (You may pay an additional {5}{R} as you cast this spell.)
Fight with Fire deals 5 damage to target creature. If this spell was kicked, it deals 10 damage divided as you choose among any number of targets instead. (Those targets can include players and planeswalkers.)

Firesong and Sunspeaker {4}{R}{W}
Legendary Creature – Minotaur Cleric
Red instant and sorcery spells you control have lifelink.
Whenever a white instant or sorcery spell causes you to gain life, Firesong and Sunspeaker deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
4/6

Grand Warlord Radha {2}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature — Elf Warrior
Haste
Whenever one or more creatures you control attack, add that much mana in any combination of R and/or G. Until end of turn, you don't lose this mana as steps and phases end.
3/4

Hallar, the Firefletcher {1}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature — Elf Archer
Trample
Whenever you cast a spell, if that spell was kicked, put a +1/+1 counter on Hallar, the Firefletcher, then Hallar deals damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it to each opponent.
3/3

Helm of the Host {4}
Legendary Artifact — Equipment
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a token that's a copy of equipped creature, except the token isn't legendary if equipped creature is legendary. That token gains haste.
Equip {5}

Howling Golem {3}
Artifact Creature — Golem
Whenever Howling Golem attacks or blocks, each player draws a card.
2/3

Kamahl's Druidic Vow {X}{G}{G}
Legendary Sorcery
(You may cast a legendary sorcery only if you control a legendary creature or planeswalker.)
Look at the top X cards of your library. You may put any number of land and/or legendary permanent cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Put the rest into your graveyard.

Marwyn, the Nurturer {2}{G}
Legendary Creature — Elf Druid
Whenever another Elf enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Marwyn, the Nurturer.
T: Add an amount of G equal to Marwyn's power.
1/1

The Mirari Conjecture {4}{U}
Enchantment — Saga
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after III.)
I — Return target instant card from your graveyard to your hand.
II — Return target sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
III — Until end of turn, whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy.

Muldrotha, the Gravetide {3}{B}{G}{U}
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
During each of your turns, you may play up to one permanent card of each permanent type from your graveyard. (If a card has multiple permanent types, choose one as you play it.)
6/6

Naban, Dean of Iteration {1}{U}
Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
If a Wizard entering the battlefield under your control causes a triggered ability of a permanent you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
2/1

Oath of Teferi {3}{W}{U}
Legendary Enchantment
When Oath of Teferi enters the battlefield, exile another target permanent you control. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
You may activate the loyalty abilities of planeswalkers you control twice each turn rather than only once.

!!! Teferi joins the Gatewatch!

Phyrexian Scriptures {2}{B}{B}
Enchantment — Saga
I — Put a +1/+1 counter on up to one target creature. That creature becomes an artifact in addition to its other types.
II — Destroy all nonartifact creatures.
III — Exile all cards from all opponents' graveyards.

Precognition Field {3}{U}
Enchantment
You may look at the top card of your library. (You may do this at any time.)
You may cast the top card of your library if it's an instant or sorcery card.
3: Exile the top card of your library.

Settle the Score {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Put two loyalty counters on a planeswalker you control.

Slimefoot, the Stowaway {1}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature — Fungus
Whenever a Saproling you control dies, Slimefoot, the Stowaway deals 1 damage to each opponent and you gain 1 life.
{4}: Create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token.
2/3

Teferi, Hero of Dominaria {3}{W}{U}
Legendary Planeswalker — Teferi
<+1>: Draw a card. At the beginning of the next end step, untap two lands.
<−3>: Put target nonland permanent into its owner's library third from the top.
<−8>: You get an emblem with "Whenever you draw a card, exile target permanent an opponent controls."
<4>

One word: Brainstorm :eek:

Territorial Allosaurus {2}{G}{G}
Creature — Dinosaur
Kicker {2}{G} (You may pay an additional {2}{G} as you cast this spell.)
When Territorial Allosaurus enters the battlefield, if it was kicked, it fights another target creature.
5/5

!!! Another dinosaur!

Whisper, Blood Liturgist {3}{B}
Legendary Creature — Human Cleric
{T}, Sacrifice two creatures: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2

Legendary Sorcery is kinda cool. Unfortunately, legendary matters is kinda narrow? Maybe I need to count my legends, but it seems like a steep rider if I can't even cast the spell until I've got one out, or if my equip cost is 2.33x normal more than I want. And being down on planeswalkers also contradicts this theme, as that rarely matters in my format, comparatively.

Captain Sisay and that other Human are probably going to get a lot better with this set.

Also a new Mox!
Mox Amber {0}
{T}: Add one color of a legendary creature/PW you control.

Fair! Good with Kytheon and Isamaru :)

Wow! This set is sparking my nostalgia like crazy

I like this feller:

4GG
Legendary Creature — Elemental Avatar
0/0
Reach, trample
Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar gets +1/+1 for each land you control and each land card in your graveyard.
1G, Return two lands you control to their owner's hand: Return Multani from your graveyard to your hand.

The green finisher I never knew I wanted. Autoinclude!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If I counted correctly, this document spoiled 138/249 non-basic-land cards, including, probably, most if not all of the rares and mythics. Commons are usually simple enough in the new world order that they don't need extra attention in the release notes.

Also, this girl is totally trampling all over Reki's design!

Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain {2}{U}{R}
Legendary Creature — Human Artificer
Whenever you cast a historic spell, draw a card. (Artifacts, legendaries, and Sagas are historic.)
3/3
At least she's not green...

Chainer's Torment - a nice lifegain matters payoff for Orzhov that's still playable without other lifegain.

Dark Bargain - I think I prefer seeing an extra card on Bitter Revelation over instant speed, but it's nice to have options.

Evra, Halcyon Witness - a splashy lifegain matters payoff for white. The lack of evasion and mediocre toughness for a 6-drop definitely require you to put in some work to have it be a true finisher.

Garna, the Bloodflame - I'm heavily considering this as an aristocrats style enabler for Rakdos. The guild has few flash creatures, so this definitely offers something unique.

Grunn, the Lonely King - A very obvious power matters finisher. I don't mind the lack of trample or other evasion since it'll encourage finding synergy cards.

History of Benalia - another enchantments/go-wide crossover for white to play along with Cartouche of Solidarity, Squire's Devotion, and Legion's Landing

Rampaging Cyclops - I love simple commons that still evoke strong flavor. Good job, Wizards!

The Mirari Conjecture - Very straightforward role for this card. I like that the saga cards give your opponent some time to react before their big payoff.

Torgaar, Famine Incarnate - Definitely a payoff for an aristocrats deck. Might actually be too good at what it does for my cube, but we'll see.

Warcry Phoenix - Fun payoff for go-wide decks that's not just another anthem effect.

I can’t wait to see the artworks on soooo many of these!!! (And the Basic lands)

Do you guys think we’ll have Masterpieces from Dominaria?

Someone else mentioned that the FAQ would likely have mentioned it if there were, so probably not. My guess is that they wanted to hold off since we're getting Masters 25 right before it and there'd be a lot of crossover.

The "legendary matters" aspect of this set sent me to my cube list to tally up how many legendary creatures I have. Turns out that in my 360 I only have 13, and none in white or green. What's more, 5 of the 13 are in my gold section. 13 seems low, and I'm wondering if there are subconscious (or, more likely, correlational) design aspects that have led me disfavor legendary creatures. How many legendary creatures do you all run in your cubes?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Makes me want to run this custom again:
iifWFlt.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You could probably make it cheaper, now that legendary instant actually means something (okay, assuming that legendary does the same for instants as it does for sorceries).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's specifically worse on T1 :p

Also Fallen Empires over here:
historyofbenalia.jpg

This is something that makes tokens that I can also proliferate :D