Dom's Cube(s)

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'll do a proper writeup and introduction for this in a week or so when finals are over, but I want to put this here for now to get people's first impressions. I want the finished product to be smaller but this is full of ideas I'm considering.

Current project (as of Feb 2014): http://www.cubetutor.com/draft/6647

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I take it the one hawk earns your 3 more?
A few cards that just didn't work for me:
Descendant of Kiyomaro: Hard to keep active, and not worth the effort.
Renewed Faith: As just a lifegain spell, it's not spectacular. Is there a cycling archetype going in here?
Scepter of Dominance: It's a lot of white mana :( If you're looking for a similar effect, Ring of Gix is one a few people still remember, and there's always the good old bone crank (Icy Manipulator)

Triple cloud of faeries, eh? That could make illusory angel insteresting :p

Nice find on corrupt court official over ravenous rats. He's human :D

Crimson Mage always felt so awkward for me. It's the whole shimmering grotto problem.
Not personally a huge fan of constant mists. It's incredibly hard to interact with.

It's hard to say much else. There's a LOT of combo pieces here, which is specifically not my area of expertise. It looks interesting. Chain of Plasma + Swans of Bryn Argoll is a nice touch though :p

Looking forward to it!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Yeah, Hawk comes with a posse. Descendant and Renewed Faith are both for the Gilded Lotus control decks which really want to have something good to play on the same turn off Lotus, and Descendant is a Human while the cycling on Renewed Faith works with the Miracle subtheme. Agree that Scepter needs to go, wanted something that could give white a bit of a distinct identity but it's not even much better than the colourless versions, which I'm not sure I want.

I realized that Clouds of Faeries do for blue everything that BTEs did for red(/green), so I'm excited to try it out. I considered pushing some tribal subthemes including Faeries (Spellstutter/Mistbind Clique, with Scryb Ranger/changelings coming in as backup), but that's on the back-burner for now.

I got the idea for Corrupt Court Offical from Greg Hatch on the CFB podcast. Portal is adorable!

Crimson Mage is in there as a 1R Human that does cooler things than something vanilla like Gore-House Chainwalker/Stormblood Berserker. idk, the configuration of cheap red guys is hard to get right given that I'm trying to do lots of outlandish things with the red section. It might be that I have to choose between enabling Champions and pushing the other stuff I want to do.

Constant Mists is intended as another card for the Lotus decks or for Storm, where it's both a nice delaying tactic and a way to convert mana into storm with one card. I think there are enough ways for decks to break out of or bypass a Constant Mists lock.

Chain of Plasma with the Boros Reckoners is a nicer touch! :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a write-up on the philosophy behind this thing. There are a lot of cool things going on, but I felt pretty lost while drafting it. Like Chris, I don't really specialize in combo pieces, so I tended to just pick cards that I knew were good, which was probably missing some of the point as I mostly ignored the combo pieces.

Also I got Swords of X and Y 15th pick in two packs. That was a little funny to see.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Descendant and Renewed Faith are both for the Gilded Lotus control decks which really want to have something good to play on the same turn off Lotus, and Descendant is a Human while the cycling on Renewed Faith works with the Miracle subtheme.
You may be pushing on these too hard. See how it plays, but renewed faith only kinda interacts with miracles, since it doesn't help unless you have some way to set them up (or are really lucky).
I see the idea with Guilded Lotus, but I think Descendant might be the wrong place to turn, surely such a deck is going to be dumping it's hand, correct? I'm not sure how the wake decks of old played out, but these days if you need to 1 for 1 another deck and refuel with a giant spell, Descendant will only be Hurloon Minotaur for a good portion of that, and get his bonus once you've already cast the huge spell? I'm not sure. It depends on how the deck plays out, but it might be a bit of a win-more.

I realized that Clouds of Faeries do for blue everything that BTEs did for red(/green), so I'm excited to try it out. I considered pushing some tribal subthemes including Faeries (Spellstutter/Mistbind Clique, with Scryb Ranger/changelings coming in as backup), but that's on the back-burner for now.
You might be right, but that second power is key. I wonder if there's something to be had about it having cycling. I'm just happy illusory angel found a home :)
Also, regarding changlings, you have to dig pretty deep to find ones that aren't embarrassing. It's a shame too, they make such nice glue in a set like this. I wonder if Cairn Wanderer deserves a spot.

I got the idea for Corrupt Court Offical from Greg Hatch on the CFB podcast. Portal is adorable!
Hatch is hilarious. Very outspoken, but a solid insight from time to time. Having included some sweet renders of Lu Xun, Scholar General and Sun Ce, Young Conquerer I know the feeling :p

Crimson Mage is in there as a 1R Human that does cooler things than something vanilla like Gore-House Chainwalker/Stormblood Berserker. idk, the configuration of cheap red guys is hard to get right given that I'm trying to do lots of outlandish things with the red section. It might be that I have to choose between enabling Champions and pushing the other stuff I want to do.

Stormblood is human, as is chainwalker actually, so if you find the red nonstorm deck is having trouble punching through damage, consider making the swap :p
Oh how I long for a R1 2/1 Fervor.

Constant Mists is intended as another card for the Lotus decks or for Storm, where it's both a nice delaying tactic and a way to convert mana into storm with one card. I think there are enough ways for decks to break out of or bypass a Constant Mists lock.
Maybe I've missed something, but...how? This isn't even like regular buyback cards where you can kill the target (A la Capsize). Isn't the only way to stop this card Counterspell or Unstable Footing? Don't count on your opponent running out of lands naturally, typically if you're casting this card you have ways around that, either recursion, ramp spells, or just killing your opponent before it becomes time.
Alternatively, if you're looking for a way to funnel mana into storm, Grinning Ignus was included in modern masters and is a solid way to do that, as well as acting like a suspend pyretic ritual for that critical turn. Alternitively, if blue is more useful, Old Favorite shrieking drake is a spell for U with infinite usage, and can be a decent player in the 'Lark deck as well.

Chain of Plasma with the Boros Reckoners is a nicer touch! :p
OH MY GOD I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT :D:D:D

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think you're right about Descendant. Typically the Lotus decks play like control decks for the first few turns so they should have more cards in hand. The problem isn't that, it's that the multicolour control decks that Descendant would be good in are terrible in this first iteration. If I can fix that, Descendant might be good enough.

The Cube has a few ways to set miracles up (tutors, multiple Brainstorms/SDTops, Noxious Revival).

Shapesharer, Mutavaults, Taurean Mauler, Mirror Entity, Chameleon Colossus, Changeling Berserker/Titan are the decent Changelings. I really want Wanderer to work but this cube isn't creature-focused enough imo.

Maybe I worded that badly; the point is that Crimson Mage fills the same role as those other cards, all of them being 1R Humans, but it's more fun than a vanilla 3/2. I'm beginning to think that the Human subtheme can't coexist with all the other tricksy stuff; it may be that White has to be 'normal' so that the base of the Cube is able to support going deep in the other colours, and if so I'm fine with that.

LD and discard (and stuff like planeswalker ultimates) are outs to Constant Mists as well. I think having one card like that is fine, and it requires a turn-by-turn commitment more than something like Moat (which is just always unfun in my experience).

I tried Ignus before but he never really did much; I'll take any excuse to try him again though. Shrieking Drake is interesting; I had Dream Stalker for a while, which was pretty good.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It could be that descendant becomes good enough, I'm not sure. He might just have a flawed premise, we'll have to see.

Good call on the multiple brainstorms/Tutors. Miracles aren't really my area of expertise, I kinda tried to tune out that era of standard after the Bonfire Clip.

I get the idea behind crimson mage, don't worry :p I'm a bit of a connoisseur of 3/X's for 2, so I try and jam them in where ever I can. Don't feel you need to make white the anchor color though, Kranny has a cube that is literally all combos (To the point where you don't get basics after the draft, you get painless city of brass) and from what I hear, it's a blast.

Also can this cube be called "Thing From the Deep"? That would be awesome :D
Get it? Because it's all about going deep? I'll stop now...

Here's some other options: http://magiccards.info/query?q=deep&s=cname&v=card&p=2
I like "Research the Deep" if you ever have to write a cutesy poo pun filled introduction article, Maybe Deepwood Tantiv if you wanna talk about the problems and shortcomings of the cube, Deep Slumber Titan if you're back from Hiatus...

Dom Harvey

Contributor
New list (different Cube on cubetutor) here: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/740

I think 540 is about the right size, so some stuff needs to go. As much as it pains me to say, taking out the Storm stuff would bring the size down and make the Cube a bit more consistent overall... but it's just so fun! For me, at least. It's the combo feel that I want to push, and it's possible that cool interactions are all you need to enable that (i.e. I don't need actual cards with 'Storm' written on them and narrow cards to make them viable). Anyway, hopefully I'll get the chance to give it a spin soon.

Thoughts? I'll write up a post explaining what I'm trying to do, but if anyone has immediate questions I'd like to hear them.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Alright, I want to talk a bit about this. I think the best way to do it is to break this up into segments, so I'll start with a post about aggro.

AGGRO

Jason's articles and ideas were a useful guide here, contributing some of the main themes:

- Steppe Lynx(/landfall in general): This wasn't working for me at first (likely because my Cube is at least 50% larger than Jason's with no more effort devoted to making it happen), but between 20 fetchlands and 4 Terramorphic Expanse I think it's doable.
Cards: Steppe Lynx(es), Plated Geopede, Lotus Cobra, Countryside Crusher, KotR, Harrow, Emeria Angel, Adventuring Gear

- Gravecrawler/Carrion Feeder: I pushed this very hard in my more creature-centric Cube that heavily resembled Jason's, but here I think it works better as a way of enabling black aggro that has incidental synergy with other cards.
Cards: Carrion Feeder, Gravecrawler, Bloodghast, Mogg War Marshal; Varolz/Goblin Bombardment(/Cartel Aristocrat)

- double strike/pump: There's something very fun about 'assembling' one large guy to beat the opponent senseless with; and there's a strategic depth to it that doesn't come from just playing a singularly powerful card like Hero of Bladehold or w/e and turning it sideways.
Cards: Fencing Ace/Viashino Slaughtermaster/Mirran Crusader*/Silverblade Paladin/Boros Charm/Ajani CotP; Noble Hierarch(s), (Sublime Archangel), Mutagenic Growth/bloodrush guys(/Wrecking Ogre)/Vines of Vastwood/Berserk(/Hatred)/Revenge of the Hunted, Rancor/Moldervine Cloak/Sovereigns of Lost Alara); Fling; Wild Mongrel/Moltensteel Dragon

As mentioned here, loading hybrid on strong hybrid cards boosts aggro (both in individual colours or colour pairs and in general) while making the most of the limited space available:

R/B: 2 Rakdos Cackler, (Fulminator Mage), (X Demigod of Revenge)
R/G: 3 Burning-Tree Emissary, (Boggart Ram-Gang), (Giant Solifuge)
R/W: 3 Figure of Destiny, 3 Boros Reckoner
G/W: 3 Dryad Militant, 2 Kitchen Finks
G/U: (Cold-Eyed Selkie)
W/U: (Augury Adept)
Colourless: 2/3 Porcelain Legionnaire

For instance, these and other changes mean that green aggro is suddenly a viable strategy without having to include filler like Pouncing Jaguar. Porcelain Legionnaire in particular is excellent, going in every aggro deck as well as being a good roadblock against aggro in control decks; this is especially hopeful for blue, which has little in the way of good, cheap creatures otherwise. Note that cards like Honor of the Pure become better with this setup.

Duplicating certain other cards also helped green's contribution:
- Noble Hierarch: Pretty much strictly better than Llanowar Elves, Fyndhorn Elves, and even the beloved Elvish Mystic. That isn't a reason to duplicate by itself - not every burn spell needs to be Lightning Bolt - but the fact that Hierarch fixes mana and provides incidental help to the double strike subtheme is more than enough. I've left Birds of Paradise and Joraga Treespeaker in because they aren't obsoleted by Hierarch.

- Wild Mongrel: As argued here, Wild Mongrel is the rare case of a premier aggro creature that has a lot of wider applications. The fact that aggro and combo both want this card means that . It also happens to be great against (/other) aggro decks, so it's not as if loading up on them makes aggro in general overpowered. Being able to cast it off BTE is a nice touch.

- Nest Invader: Jason's Eldrazi Cube made me think about this card a bit more, and... it's cool. It doesn't dazzle anyone with its obvious power, but it's very flexible and is perfectly solid in control decks as well. Again, it's another solid card to chain BTE into.

As for manafixing, the fetchland + shockland setup is well-suited to aggro decks, and there's good non-ETBT manafixing (SOM fastlands, Horizon Canopy, painlands) available. I'm not sure if I want to include painlands yet, but it's nice to have the option.

Aggro creatures at various spots on the curve:

1:
W: Benevolent Bodyguard, Isamaru, Mother of Runes, X Steppe Lynx
U: Delver of Secrets
B: 3-4 Gravecrawler, 3 Carrion Feeder, Putrid Imp
R: Goblin Guide, Spikeshot Elder, Grim Lavamancer
G: Basking Rootwalla, Experiment One, 3 Noble Hierarch
W/G: 3 Dryad Militant
W/R: 3 Figure of Destiny
U/R: Nivmagus Elemental
B/R: 3 Rakdos Cackler
B/G: Deathrite Shaman
Gold: Kird Ape, Loam Lion, Wild Nacatl

2:
W: Accorder Paladin, Fencing Ace, Knight of Glory, Knight of the White Orchid, Kor Skyfisher, Squadron Hawk, Stoneforge Mystic, Thalia
U: X Cloud of Faeries, Looter il-Kor, Mindshrieker, Phantasmal Image, Snapcaster Mage
B: Bloodghast, Dark Confidant, Mesmeric Fiend, Nezumi Graverobber, Oona's Prowler, Pack Rat,
Bitterblossom
R: (Ash Zealot), Keldon Marauders, Hellspark Elemental, Lightning Mauler, Plated Geopede, Skinbrand Goblin, Young Pyromancer
G: Fauna Shaman, Lotus Cobra, 2/3 Nest Invader, Rofellos, Scavenging Ooze, Strangleroot Geist, Tarmogoyf, 3 Wild Mongrel
R/G: 3 Burning-Tree Emissary
Gold: Qasali Pridemage, Voice of Resurgence, Lotleth Troll, Goblin Electromancer
Colourless: X Porcelain Legionnaire

3:
W: Blade Splicer, Flickerwisp, Mirran Crusader, Mirror Entity, Silverblade Paladin, Spectral Procession, (Soltari Champion)
U: Man-o'-War, Pestermite, Vendilion Clique, Serendib Efreet
B: Liliana's Specter, Priest of Gix
R: Countryside Crusher, Ghitu Slinger, Inner-Flame Acolyte, Priest of Urabrask, (Hell's Thunder)
G: Call of the Herd, Slaughterhorn
W/G: 2 Kitchen Finks
W/R: 3 Boros Reckoner
Gold: Geist of Saint Traft, Loxodon Smiter, Edric, 2 Lingering Souls
Colourless: 2 Phyrexian Metamorph

4:
W: X Restoration Angel, (Glimmerpoint Stag), (Hero of Bladehold)
U: Venser
B: Marsh Flitter
R: FTK, Hero of Oxid Ridge, Hellrider, Koth
G: Briarhorn, Thrun, X Vengevine
B/R: Murderous Redcap
Gold: Falkenrath Aristocrat, BBE, Ghor-Clan Rampager, Sorin
Colourless: Moltensteel Dragon, (Lodestone Golem)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Dom, these look extremely solid (although I may be a little biased here). I'll be interested in seeing how wild mongrel works out for you, it's been pretty unimpressive here after I dropped the Reanimator theme. Nest Invader has been great even in my main cube, and provides nice overlap with the sacrifice subtheme. In aggro decks, hitting a Turn 3 Bloodbraid Elf or Koth is a thing of beauty.

Some of the creatures listed aren't super "aggressive" in the strictest sense (I'm looking at you Resto, and Lingering Souls), but they toe the line pretty well. I don't know if I would run Demigod of Revenge. It's a cool card, but including multiples of it takes up a lot of precious design space, as there isn't much room for aggro 5-drops.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I love nest invader even when he's just doing an imitation of steward of valeron (Which is a card that needs to be mono green stat. I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME WIZARDS!)
Joraga Treespeaker is almost a 2/3 drop anyways that I'm fine for it not being converted into a noble hierarch.
Sovereigns of Lost Alara, eh? Now that's deep :p Are people searching up anything better than moldervine cloak with it?

Also, a card to keep in mind with all the landfall stuff going on is Ankh of Mishra. I've certainly played decks with ankh and 5 fetchlands because I had a Geopede and Adventuring Gear, but I can't say I felt good doing it.

RE: Green aggro, I never found that lack of good creatures was the problem (though pouncing jaguar does suck), but more a reason to be green other than those creatures.
White has evasion, Black has recursion, red has reach, blue has tempo, green has...dudes?
I mean sure there's plow under, but that's not a card I'd be comfortable doubling up on, it causes way too much rage and resignation.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm pushing reanimator quite hard, and there are a ton of cards that work well with Mongrel (Squee, Land Tax, Squadron Hawk, Sunder, Loam, flashback/madness cards, draw-7s like Memory Jar/Wheel of Fortune/Timetwister/Time Spiral, Prime Speaker/Garruk, Ajani COP or cards that give evasion/trample).

Sovereigns comes with Eldrazi Conscription (the same way drafting Squadron Hawk - and Demigod of Revenge - gets you the other copies)There are a lot of strong and/or unique cards in green: Loam, Sylvan Library, Natural Order/Pattern of Rebirth (which incidentally is insane with Nest Invader), Nostalgic Dreams, Vengevines, Survival, Primeval Titan/Avenger, Eureka, Fastbond, Garruks, Primal Command etc.

One of the biggest issues at the moment is the deep pool of good 5-drops in blue:
Aeon Chronicler, Body Double, Djinn of Wishes, Meloku, Spellbound Dragon, Sphinx of Lost Truths, Teferi, Bribery; Dream Halls, Future Sight; Tamiyo, Tezzeret; Mulldrifter, Riftwing Cloudskate. Drifter and Cloudskate don't really count; I've always loved Sphinx as a bigger Mulldrifter, but it's not necessary; and Tezzeret requires more support than I'm willing to give it atm. Beyond that though all of them serve a useful purpose, so I'm not sure which ones to axe.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Jeez demigod nets you additional copies? thats a huge bonus, he's mad playable on his own!
How has AEon Chronicler been? Him and meloku would be my cuts at the moment, if only for being off theme

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Aeon Chronicler was one of my favourite cards when I started Cubing a few years ago, and for some reason I mostly forgot about it recently. I really like it: it's a splashable, interesting finisher that doesn't get unceremoniously neutered by spot removal and interacts with cards like Wildfire(s)/Dev Dreams/Upheaval. Meloku is the same, working well with Wild Mongrel/Psychatog/Fastbond (!)/Sickening Dreams etc.

COMBO

(Brackets indicate that a card isn't locked into a slot in the Cube; square brackets indicate cards that don't fit neatly in the category but which are worth noting)

As detailed in the aggro section, I tried to give the beatdown decks in my Cube a little more depth by making them look more like aggro-combo. I want to do something similar for control as well as enable 'pure' combo decks to reward people who try to go deep. Starting with something familiar:

- Reanimator/GY:
It seems like almost every Cube has this to some degree, but I'm interested in pushing it very hard and boosting a larger graveyard theme alongside it.

Key Cards/Duplicates:
- Unburial Rites (2): I want at least 2 of these since they make dredge, Intuition/Gifts, and the like so much better. Also an excellent, easily splashable value card in a deck with lots of 187 guys. It trades speed for consistency and flexibility (unless you have LED...), and so isn't a strict upgrade over the other reanimation spells. Much of the same could be said about Dread Return.
- Lingering Souls (2): Good in aggro/control/graveyard decks, splashable, synergizes well with a wide variety of cards, strong without being oppressive or unfun. A perfect duplicate, imo.

Cards by theme:
- GY stockers: Entomb/Buried Alive; Life from the Loam/Stinkweed Imp/(Darkblast)/(Golgari Grave-Troll); Intuition/Gifts
- discard outlets: Putrid Imp/Wild Mongrel (3)/Lotleth Troll/Anurid Brushhopper/Zombie Infestation, Fauna Shaman/Waterfront Bouncer/Looter il-Kor; Faithless Looting (2/3), Compulsive Research/TfK/Probe/Frantic Search; Forbid; Survival of the Fittest
- reanimation cards: [Unearth], Renimate/Exhume/Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead/Necromancy, Recurring Nightmare, Makeshift Mannequin, Dread Return (2?), Unburial Rites (2), Karmic Guide, (Miraculous Recovery); (Victimize), (Apprentice Necromancer)
- other GY cards: Lingering Souls (2), Unburial Rites (2), Dread Return, (Deep Analysis), Squee, Genesis, Vengevine (3)

One of the perks of reanimation - and the thing that makes it a supportable strategy in 'normal' Cubes - is that it can be used for value on random midrange guys. However, you ideally want to be returning:

- large animals: Sun Titan, (Yosei), Angel of Serenity, (Elesh Norn), Eternal Dragon; Consecrated Sphinx, Palinchron (2?); Grave Titan, Rune-Scarred Demon, Tombstalker, Griselbrand; Inferno Titan, (Bogardan Hellkite), Greater Gargadon (3); Avenger of Zendikar, (Protean Hulk), (Woodfall Primus)/Terastodon; Wurmcoil Engine, Myr Battlesphere; (Sovereigns of Lost Alara), (Sire of Insanity), (Trostani's Summoner); Artisan of Kozilek

I also want other ways to get these out:

- big cheats: (Flash), Show and Tell/Eureka, Sneak Attack/Through the Breach, Tinker/Natural Order/Pattern of Rebirth, (Oath of Druids), Shelldock Isle
- even larger animals: Kozilek, Ulamog, Emrakul

Having a bunch of high-CMC cards lying around is handy for the theme I'm most attached to:

- CMC matters:
- cards that care: Mindshrieker/Spellbound Dragon, Erratic Explosion/Riddle of Lightning/Blast of Genius, (Blazing Shoal)
- high CMC (lots of cards fit here, this is just a sample): miracles (Revenge of the Hunted/Terminus/Temporal Mastery), evoke (Mulldrifter/Shriekmaw/Spitebellows), suspend (Riftwing Cloudskate (2)/Greater Gargadon (3)/(Nihilith)), cycling (Eternal Dragon/Krosan Tusker), split cards (notably Boom//Bust, Catch//Release), Flame Javelin/Spectral Procession, Force of Will/Fireblast,
Blasphemous Act, Tombstalker, (Maelstrom Djinn)

The best part about this is that it doesn't take up many slots (either in the Cube or in decks), and so the deck doesn't feel single-minded your draft isn't derailed if it fails to come together. Suppose you have a U/R Control deck with Temporal Mastery, a Greater Gargadon, a Spitebellows, an ; you can pick up a Spellbound Dragon and a Riddle of Lightning late, they won't intrude on any other part of the deck, they'll do just as good a job of ending the game as any other finishers would, and it's a lot of fun when it happens.

Of course, it helps to have ways to cast these things as well:

- big mana: Mana Vault, Grim Monolith, Thran Dynamo (2+?), Gilded Lotus (2+); Heartbeat of Spring, Mana Flare, Mirari's Wake

- Storm:
This is the big one. I love playing Storm in every possible format, and always enjoyed trying to make it work in the MODO Cube. It was alright there because the Cube in general was so bad that drafting the deck was a. realistic and b. more fun than some boring midrange deck with bad mana and janky filler. When I tried supporting it in my own Cube I found that, although it was fun to draft and play when the stars aligned, it created a few problems:

- It was the perfect embodiment of the Poison Principle. Part of this was due to how the rest of the Cube was configured, and changes since then have fixed this to a degree (f/e Mayor of Avabruck + Yawgmoth's Bargain = dismal; Wild Mongrel + Yawgmoth's Bargain = insane), but 'fair' cards and 'unfair' cards overlap so little that a lot of the storm cards felt foreign.
- Dedicated Storm decks felt very clunky. At its best, the Storm mechanic creates an intricate puzzle that takes thought and good timing to put together, with every card slotting into place in a certain way. In practice going off with a Storm deck in Cube was often an unfun exercise, with lots of cards cluttering up hands, redundant and with no way to filter them. Drafters often had to choose between picking up necessary cards for the combo and meeting the stringent requirements those cards placed on the manabase.
- The Storm mechanic wants you to save up spells for one big turn, so using any of them early comes with a cost that you couldn't really afford to pay if trying to set up a kill with something like Tendrils or Grapeshot. This left the Storm player just drawing and hoping to find what they needed without impacting the board at all, creating a feeling of helplessness.

The best way to fix these problems is... well, to not include Storm. I think a happy medium can be struck, however:

Key Cards:
- Goblin Electromancer/Nightscape Familiar/Sunscape Familiar/Grand Arbiter/(Helm of Awakening): These are great whether you're trying to chain spells in one turn (in Modern Storm, Electromancer often nets you 6+ mana) or just playing an ordinary game with a combo finish: T2 Familiar T3 Fact or Fiction, or T3 Electromancer holding up a 1U counter/bounce spell is a very strong opening. They can produce as much mana as rituals over the course of a turn/game, but they're also much more complex: rituals are 'self-contained' in that they do the same thing every time and don't care what you're using the mana on, whereas 'Medallions' do. Ritual into Liliana doesn't change how good Liliana is, whereas Familiar into Snap/Remand/whatever does change the value of the other card. Most importantly, all of these are fine cards in non-combo decks; Nightscape Familiar is even a Zombie!

- Cloud of Faeries (2+)/Snap/Frantic Search/Rewind/Treachery: These all provide familiar effects with a tacked-on capacity for being broken, and as such fit in both fair and unfair decks.

- Time Spiral/Palinchron: I've singled these out because they are 'bigger' and more important than the other free spells. Two of the most valuable resources for Storm decks are cards and mana. Usually you have to spend one to acquire the other; Time Spiral gives you a full hand for free at minimum, and often nets mana as well! Palinchron is the card I most want to see if I'm doing anything remotely unfair. At worst it generates 'only' finite mana; at best, it lets you go crazy and play whatever you have available. It's even solid in control decks as a 'free' finisher that lets you cast instants on the same turn and protects itself.

- Lion's Eye Diamond: Probably the most narrow card for this archetype, but also the one with the highest upside. Fun applications include Unburial Rites (!), Balance, flashback spells, Yawgmoth's Will/Past in Flames, Timetwister/Wheel of Fortune/Time Spiral, library manipulation + cantrips (cracking LED in response), (Decree of Justice), and a personal favourite: Entreat the Angels/Bonfire of the Damned with library manipulation + cantrips or Sensei's Divining Top (2+).

- Rituals: Dark Ritual, Manamorphose (1+); Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond, (Lotus Petal), LED, (Cadaverous Bloom); Burning-Tree Emissary (3), Cloud of Faeries (2+), Priest of Gix/Urabrask
- Card draw: Ancestral Vision, Frantic Search, Fact or Fiction, (Deep Analysis), draw-7s, Urban Evolution
- Tutors: Mystical/Vampiric/Personal/Worldly/Enlightened/Demonic Tutor, Imperial Seal, Intuition/Gifts, Entomb
- Recursion: Noxious Revival, Regrowth, Nostalgic Dreams, Yawgmoth's Will, Past in Flames
- Storm: Empty the Warrens (2+), Brain Freeze, (Tendrils of Agony), Mind's Desire, (Hunting Pack), (Grapeshot)
- Suspend: Ancestral Vision, Rift Bolt (2), Riftwing Cloudskate (2), Greater Gargadon (3), Search for Tomorrow
- building storm count: Remand (2)
- Broken things: Dream Halls, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Griselbrand

- Heartbeat Combo:
This is as fun as it is simple: double your mana, go nuts. This isn't exclusive to Storm: just casting big spells is more than enough. Maybe you go T3 Heartbeat, T4 Sphinx's Revelation for 5; or T4 Mana Flare with 2 mana to use on removal/fog, T5 Kozilek/Mindslaver. Maybe you decide waiting a turn is overrated and go Heartbeat into Time Spiral/Time Walk/something with Time in the name.
- Key Cards:
- Heartbeats: Heartbeat of Spring (1+)/Mana Flare (1+)/Mirari's Wake
- immediate defense: Moment's Peace/Constant Mists/Cryptic Command/(Timely Reinforcements)/Wrath of God/removal
- ramp: Search for Tomorrow, Harrow, Explore, Oracle of Mul Daya, Fastbond
- cards to exploit: Time Walk/Temporal Mastery; Cloud of Faeries/Snap/Frantic Search/Rewind/Treachery/Time Spiral/Palinchron; Sphinx's Revelation/Bonfire/Rakdos's Return/(Aurelia's Fury), large things

Finally, I want my Cube to be replete with cards that are natural combo enablers by themselves as well as incidental multi-card combos (in which each part either combines well with other cards or is strong in its own right). I'm using the term 'combo' a bit loosely here - some of these are simply obvious synergies - but the presence of these is a good measure of how combo-oriented the Cube is.

Combos/synergies:
- Restoration Angel/Pestermite/(Deceiver Exarch) + Kiki-Jiki
- Seismic Assault + Swans of Bryn Argoll/Land Tax/Sunder/Upheaval/draw-7s/Life from the Loam (2)
- Swans of Bryn Argoll/Boros Reckoner/(Broodhatch Nantuko) + Wildfires/Devastating Dreams/Sickening Dreams/Rolling Earthquake/Blasphemous Act/Chandra Nalaar/Spitebellows/(Grapeshot)/burn
- Wild Mongrel/Psychatog + Squadron Hawk/Land Tax/Life from the Loam/Sunder/Upheaval/draw-7s/Prime Speaker Zegana/Garruk Primal Hunter/Ajani Caller of the Pride/Berserk/dredge cards
- Eternal Witness/[Snapcaster Mage] + Unearth/reanimation/blink/Cryptic Command/Primal Command/Profane Command
- Intuition/Gifts Ungiven/Fact or Fiction + Lingering Souls/Unburial Rites/Life from the Loam/Nostalgic Dreams/Yawgmoth's Will
- Consecrated Sphinx + Memory Jar/Wheel of Fortune/Timetwister/Time Spiral/(Compulsive Research)/Ancestral Vision/(Deep Analysis)
- Squadron Hawk/(Skyshroud Sentinel)/Land Tax + Brainstorm (3)/Scroll Rack/Jace TMS/anything that lets you discard for value

It's worth noting some cards which just enable degenerate things in ways too non-specific to list: Fastbond, Chandra the Firebrand, Birthing Pod, Living Death, and so on.

Conversion:
One of the most important foundations to combo decks is the ability to convert resources into other resources: mana into cards and vice versa, life into either, either into storm count, and so on.

- reanimation spells into mana: Emissary/Cloud of Faeries/Priests, Palinchron, (Composite Golem)
- blink spells into mana: Emissary (3)/Cloud of Faeries (2+)/Priests, Palinchron; with Ghostly Flicker add: Thran Dynamo (2)/Gilded Lotus (2)/Koth/lands under Heartbeats
- reanimation/blink spells into cards: Mulldrifter, Eternal Witness, Griselbrand, Snapcaster Mage
- mana into cards: any card draw
- cards into mana: any ritual; (Skirge Familiar), (Cadaverous Bloom)
- life into cards: Yawgmoth's Bargain
- mana into storm count: Kor Skyfisher, (Dream Stalker), Remand, (Grinning Ignus)
- cards into damage: Seismic Assault, Sickening Dreams
- cards into other cards: Brainstorm (3), Nostalgic Dreams

This is by no means exhaustive, and doesn't cover a lot of the synergies you can exploit, but I hope it's reasonably comprehensive.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like what you've done with the CMC matters subtheme. I've got a bit of that going on in the UR section of my Eldrazi cube, and may have to steal some of these ideas. The idea of a "conversions" section is pretty neat too.

Really enjoyed that post. Thanks for going deep. It gave me some new cards to consider and archetype areas to think about. I agree with Jason that the cmc matters theme is cool. Erratic Explosion seems particularly easy to abuse the same way as people abuse miracles.

One synergistic combo area I have been thinking about is 'untap combo' where in addition to Kiki and Splinter Twin, you can add Time Vault. Time Vault already works well with Pestermite, Deceiver Exarch, and Zealous Conscripts, and now with Ral Zarek there is a non-narrow way to get infinite turns in addition to Tezzeret and Voltaic Key.

To make storm more synergistic with other parts of the cube, I've thought about adding a few more goblin token makers/lords to make Empty the Warrens more generally useful and perhaps adding some spells matter creatures like Nivix Cyclops to help make stormy stuff like rituals and Gitaxian Probe more useful. Likewise, Brain Freeze can benefit from some mill buddies like Increasing Confusion. I think if the storm cards don't require you to kill in one shot, they might fare better. In other words, we can maybe try playing them in the non-broken way in which they were probably conceived by designers...imagine that!

Hey, check out my saved draft of your cube on cubetutor. (I hope it works?) I drafted a simple storm deck for you. In other words I ignored rituals, fast mana artifacts that produce more than they cost, and power. (I mean come on, 7th pick Time Walk is not realistic). Basically, I drafted it ignoring everything that isn't in my cube (which you should check out cause I support storm too :D). I don't know what the power level of your cube is like, but in mine this could be a reasonable 2-1 usually (maybe a liiiittle light on draw, perhaps it needs a Sea Gate Oracle more) and goes to show that storm doesn't have to be very self contained at all :D. To be fair though, this is my third run through. The first one didn't save right cause I wasn't logged in, but it was probably better? Well, maybe not better cause I didn't get to see it laid out, but it had a lot more draw and looked more comboy....less defense though I guess? The second run was vaugely like this one in concept, but I whiffed on a storm wincon, so seeing normal ramplike deck wouldn't do much for you :p. Also, if that Empty the Warrens were a Brain Freeze it would definitely just straight up kill them :).

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Newest list up here, lmk what you think. I'll be doing a few more writeups soon. It's frustrating that I can't draft it irl right now because the AI on Cubetutor doesn't give you a good indication of what draft decks look like, so I have no idea if archetypes are properly supported.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Newest list up here, lmk what you think. I'll be doing a few more writeups soon. It's frustrating that I can't draft it irl right now because the AI on Cubetutor doesn't give you a good indication of what draft decks look like, so I have no idea if archetypes are properly supported.
it does if you put enough time into it. After about 45 drafts of just picking the best card in the pack regardless, the AI knows what it's doing, and after a few more of drafting with purpose it can be pretty decent.

The only problem I've run into is that when you binge draft something the AI Loves it :p
there was a span of weeks where Jitte and Elspeth were being passed over basic mana rocks because I'd been trying to make wildfire decks so much for my primer article. It was kinda hilarious :p

Dom Harvey

Contributor
This isn't really an update, but I didn't want to create a new thread so I'm posting here. List in question is here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/3249

As Jason likes to remind us, Legacy is awesome, and shaping my Cube around the kinds of interactions found in Legacy (and Vintage/Modern to a lesser extent) seemed like a great idea. The problem is that the types of decks I enjoy playing in Constructed either require too high a density of certain types of cards (Storm, Elves) or revolve around a specific card (Birthing Pod, Omniscience) and therefore aren't realistic in Cube, or aim to attack in a way that the opponent can't meaningfully interact with and so don't model the type of gameplay I want to encourage in Cube (Tron). Like most other people, my first inclination is to stock my Cube with my favourite cards, which in my case leads to a lot of uninteractive decks/games; so if I want it to match how I really want it to be, I have to kill my darlings and start over.

I mined The Source for Legacy lists and looked at some of the cards that come up a lot. One of the first things you realize that - Tarmogoyf aside - most of its 'Baneslayers' aren't mindless animals but cards that impose a lot of decisions:

14.jpg
100.jpg
195.jpg
213.jpg

These cards are found in other formats as well. Often, they are overshadowed by more 'powerful' plays when going over the top is possible; often, they dominate games by themselves and are centerpieces of popular decks:

8.jpg
73.jpg
104.jpg
172.jpg

In Constructed these cards are kept in check by the most efficient removal available in a format and the presence of superior options: Lighthouse Chronologist never saw the light of day in a format with Jace TMS and Lightning Bolt. In Cube you can tailor the set of removal to ensure that it meets your needs, and weakness against a given card isn't an oppressively consistent issue in Limited. These are still Baneslayers, so you need cheap and plentiful removal to stop them from automatically ending games, but you won't have to ignore cards for failing the FTK test. As such, the Cube can support a wide range of these:

Mother of Runes, 8.5 Tails, Mirror Entity
Enclave Cryptologist, Azure Mage, Lighthouse Chronologist, Waterfront Bouncer
Carrion Feeder, Apprentice Necromancer, Augur of Skulls, Nezumi Graverobber, Pack Rat, Skirsdag High Priest
Mons's Goblin Waiters, Spikeshot Elder
Basking Rootwalla, Joraga Treespeaker, Sylvan Safekeeper, Ulvenwald Tracker, Fauna Shaman, Scavenging Ooze, Wild Mongrel
Mistmeadow Witch, Shadow Guildmage, Lyzolda the Blood Witch, Olivia Voldaren, Saffi Eriksdotter, Cartel Aristocrat, Deathrite Shaman, Lotleth Troll, Varolz the Scar-Striped, Figure of Destiny
Masticore, Molten-Tail Masticore
... and this is just a selection!

More generally, if you look at the creatures I'm running, almost all of them are interesting in some way; although you need the Isamarus and Rakdos Cacklers of the world to make aggro good, everything else is a relevant piece of the puzzle and not just a body.

As covered before, targeted duplication of hybrids and cheap colourless effects ensure that there's a critical mass of cards to support aggressive decks while minimizing the number of slots used:

19.jpg
214.jpg
189.jpg
220.jpg
126.jpg

The Gravecrawler/sac theme has more than earned its place, and returns for an encore performance.

59.jpg
179.jpg

There's basically no limit to how deep you can go with this one, so it's important not to let it distract from the Cube's main focus. One problem was that many of the more expensive cards were chosen because they tied into this or other themes - think Puppeteer Clique or Zealous Conscripts - and therefore couldn't play the role of finishers in control decks. I didn't want to jettison those strong incentives to commit to themes while drafting, but adding more control-friendly finishers would create a glut of high-CMC cards as well as making reanimation better than it needs to be (I want 'broken' reanimation to be a rare thing that people have to work for; Animate Dead on Mulldrifter or w/e is more than fine though). One answer was to make sure that some of the aggro creatures were also solid as win conditions in midrange/control:

Squadron Hawk
Lingering Souls
Blade Splicer (2)
Restoration Angel (2)
Vendilion Clique (2)
Nezumi Graverobber
Pack Rat
Bitterblossom
Vampire Nighthawk
Shriekmaw (2)
Greater Gargadon (3)
Scavenging Ooze
Tarmogoyf (2?)
Kitchen Finks (2)
Knight of the Reliquary
Figure of Destiny (3)

Alongside midrange cards like Huntmaster, Mulldrifter (2), and Olivia, as well as planeswalkers, control has a variety of ways to close out games. Doubling up on the Worldwake manlands adds to this as well as feeding control's insatiable desire for manafixing.

I've chosen to be reasonably heavy with duplication, and I think listing and explaining the duplicates will make clear what I'm trying to do:

- Dryad Militant (3)/Rakdos Cackler (3)/Figure of Destiny (3)/Porcelain Legionnaire (3): as above
- Gravecrawler (3)/Carrion Feeder (3): as above
- Burning-Tree Emissary (3)/Boros Reckoner (3)/Kitchen Finks (2): as above. Fire Covenant is perhaps the best combo with Reckoner yet.
- Faithless Looting (3): as above
- Noble Hierarch (3): as above
- Wild Mongrel (2/3): as above
- Vengevine (2/3): as above
- manlands (2)/fetchlands (2)/shocklands (2): as above. I'm considering a 2nd Battlefield Forge as another R/W land, since that colour combination desperately needs non-CIPT manafixing and stuff like Clifftop Retreat/Rugged Prairie doesn't get it done.
- Greater Gargadon (3): the high-CMC theme is on the bench for now, so one of its uses is gone, but Gargadon is still a fun, interesting, and powerful card. In particular, having free instant-speed sac outlets is very important.
- Squadron Hawk (1+3): not a strict duplication, but whatever you call it I would definitely recommend it.
- Demigod of Revenge (1+2): an unusual finisher that asks for a heavy commitment for a good payoff. It fills the top end of your curve by itself without taking up more slots in the Cube, and hitting for 15 out of nowhere with Demigods feels broken while still being fair (which is a good way to get your fix)
- Wall of Omens (2): does what it claims to do, basically. A solid defensive card and a cheap target for flicker effects.
- Restoration Angel (2): an incredibly strong card when played normally, but - in contrast to something like Hero of Bladehold - there's a lot of room to maximize its effectiveness by exploiting its synergy with a lot of Cube staples.
- Reveillark (2): a fan favourite, and for good reason: an easily splashable way of gaining a ton of value, and another way of doing 'broken-but-fair' things. By my count there are ~70 cards in the Cube that Reveillark can return for a profit (so leaving out stuff like Knight of Glory), and that's without including some more outlandish options (e.g. Prime Speaker Zegana, Trostani's Summoner)
- Path to Exile (2): helps fill the cheap removal quota, and the drawback makes it a lot more interesting; I love that it can also function as a boosted Rampant Growth: cashing in a Wall of Omens or evoked Shriekmaw or w/e is a great feeling.
- Snapcaster Mage (2): helps blue tempo decks without being exclusively good in them; a tool for control decks that forces you to build around it to about the right degree
- Vendilion Clique (2): blue tempo decks really need hard-hitting evasive creatures and this is the best of the bunch; it creates a lot of interesting play decisions and synergizes with flicker effects
- Mulldrifter (2): perfectly serviceable as Divination but prompts decisions about whether to Evoke or wait to cast it for sticker price; also excellent with reanimation/flicker; ditto Shriekmaw (2)
- Riftwing Cloudskate (2): suspend cards in general are fun because the anticipation of their arrival shapes the way the opponent has to play; Cloudskate allows you to flip games around very easily in the way that Faeries was very good at. Also, reanimation/flicker etc.
- Fact or Fiction (2): maybe the best card draw available in an unpowered Cube, and it's very easily splashable; there's no shame in touching blue in your RG Ramp deck for it. Unlike most (any other, really) card draw spells it creates interesting decision points on both sides. It's also excellent at finding specific cards, which is relevant if you're trying to do anything broken, and it works well with the many graveyard effects in the Cube.
- Thoughtseize (3): in singleton the targeted discard is very poor: beyond Thoughtseize you have Inquisition and Duress, neither of which would be good enough if there were other options available. Thankfully there are: more Thoughtseizes.
- Young Pyromancer (3): a red 2-drop that does more than attack and block - enough that you can build around it. It's not just marginal value either, as the Cube has a lot of cards that just want bodies: Attrition, Opposition, Goblin Bombardment, and so on.
- Burst Lightning (2)/Lightning Bolt (2): as above, I wanted a lot of cheap removal; efficiency is most crucial for burn spells, but just jamming a set of Lightning Bolts felt a little crude. Burst Lightning is a modal burn spell that is good enough most of the time but has more play to it; I have no problem cutting Incinerate/Searing Spear for Bolt, but I like the uniqueness of Magma Jet, Sudden Shock, Rift Bolt, and so on.
- Tarmogoyf (2): as above, but worth elaborating on: in Legacy, Goyf is/was borderline oppressive as any creature that didn't match up well against a Goyf was basically unplayable; here, it's good enough that a lot of decks will want to snap it up, but not so good or so widespread that it obsoletes its competition.
- Grafted Wargear (2): even people who think this card is good underestimate just how strong it is. It's a colourless boost to aggro and a fairly clumsy way to support the sac subtheme, but it's also fine in midrange decks to turn every random Mulldrifter and Pyromancer/Souls token into legitimate threats.
- Phyrexian Metamorph (2): another super-flexible card that has a ton of applications. In addition to the usual cloning for value, copying stuff like Tangle Wire, Smokestack and Batterskull is useful
- Dismember (2): as someone who still claims to care about the colour pie this card offends me, and for a while I didn't include it on that basis, but it seems to enrich Legacy and meshes with the goal of wanting wide access to removal
- Deathrite Shaman (2): as with Tarmogoyf, I hate that the card exists as someone who enjoys playing Constructed, but it's a fantastic card for Cube (at least one with 20+ fetchlands)

I'm working on cutting some of the chaff and bringing the size down, so any suggestions on that front would be good; I think 450 is about the ideal size, but that isn't rigorous.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like your bit about Legacy creatures and decision density. I've got an article in the works about that concept in the future. Even in the context of Legacy Tarmogoyf is not a mindless animal but one that both players can interactively manipulate via graveyard effects.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
So I've been messing around with various themed Cubes or Cube themes, and while they're interesting I want to keep working on the 'main' Cube and play with its contents. I had an idea to work around that: strip the Cube down to its bare bones, and shift some of the more situational or outlandish elements into 'expansion packs' (combo, tribal, artifacts, sac/Pod, devotion, heroic, 'big things' etc), which can be added on a draft-by-draft basis. It's something a guy in my playgroup did with his Cube, and it worked well for him. I've also wanted to try and write about a devotion section for a long time, so here's an excuse to do that.

- As documented above, the best hybrid cards are already central to how the Cube's constructed; here, we take that to the extreme and go deeper.
- As much as possible I want each colour to have roughly equal representation within the section, though I understand that this won't be possible and can tailor the other sections accordingly (for instance, green and white are relatively weak w.r.t devotion but are better elsewhere).

Devotion payoffs:
W: 2 Heliod, Honor of the Pure, (Light from Within?)
U: Thassa, (2?) Master of Waves [note: Master is so much better than everything else that having 2 might make blue excessively good in the way it is in every other context]
B: Erebos, 2 Gray Merchant, (Balthor the Defiled!?), (Mogis's Marauder?)
R: (2?) Purphoros, (2?) Fanatic of Mogis
G: 2 Nylea, Reverent Hunter

Hybrid cards (going up the curve; the '{' brackets denote cards that also fit in other sections/the main Cube):

yAX1aPz.png

Since we have a greater density of multicolour cards, we can also support some colour hosers. It's not clear that we'd want to, but I think they serve a valuable role here. Ideally we want cards that can add to devotion themselves without being oppressive (so Mirran Crusader and the like are out). M14 has been helpful in that regard.

W: Soldier of the Pantheon/Devout Lightcaster?
U: Tidebinder Mage
B: Lifebane Zombie
R: Blood Knight?/Stormbreath Dragon?
G: Scryb Ranger/Phantom Centaur?/Chameleon Colossus?

I also want one colour-intensive card for each colour (preferably at CMC 3 or less so that they fit neatly alongside Gods on the curve) that can draw people in. Since these cards are unlikely to see play outside their corresponding colour's devotion deck, they can afford to be situational.

W: Devout Lightcaster?/Jihad?
U: Patron Wizard
B: Geralf's Messenger
R: Seismic Assault?
G: Leatherback Baloth?

Also, some additional XCC permanents that act as much-needed removal:

W: Leonin Relic-Warder [exiles Gods!]
U: Aether Adept
B: Gatekeeper of Malakir
R: Ember Hauler
G: (Lignify?)

As mentioned in CML's thread, some multicolour incentives would be nice. Any suggestions?

If I'm paring down the main Cube, the manafixing gets hit as well. The filterlands are best when casting hybrid cards, so they go here. Taking a page from Standard, Nykthos makes an appearance as well.

Anything else I should add?

CML

Contributor
Yeah, Hawk comes with a posse. Descendant and Renewed Faith are both for the Gilded Lotus control decks which really want to have something good to play on the same turn off Lotus, and Descendant is a Human while the cycling on Renewed Faith works with the Miracle subtheme.

Surprised I didn't chime in on this earlier as this (though I'm five months late to the party) is very bad thinking, which, as you, Dom, are brilliant, surprises me. It's a pleasure to read about how your thinking has changed throughout the thread, though. RiptideLab has been good for all of our brains in a way that Sam Black, in his insular and weird universe, cannot possibly put into words in any StarCityGames article that's ostensibly about pedagogy.

Parsing the above quotation as "in a control deck that really wants 1-2 copies of a particular card to run all that well, the player who drafted these cards, ideally early in the draft, needs to draw at least a copy of that specific card, then play it, then have another specific card that costs 3 but, for some reason, was not played earlier in the game, to justify this inclusion" is enough, but I'm going to tell a few anecdotes too:

-Once at a PTQ from which I had scrubbed out a Canadian gentlemen and I ate some overpriced and mediocre pho; he told me of his banking career, which was not something I imagined Canadians doing, and was quite successful, then he regaled me with plans for a Modern deck. It would be built around Jund Hackblade; it would pair with Civic Saber; these cards could not be replaced by Spike Jester or Bonesplitter as it would disrupt the delicate combo of Saber and Hackblade. Though he was serious about the idea, he couldn't understand why the idea wasn't a serious one.
-Another time, I brought some Magic cards to a kid I was tutoring; though Lightning Bolt was 'nice,' it was really Hundred-Handed One that dazzled him. He was skeptical that Clay Statue, let alone Crypt Incursion, could possibly be legal for tournament play, and he arranged his modest collection of cards with the fastidiousness and obliviousness of an MTGS Cube designer fiddling with his spreadsheet, or a Modo business analyst glumly inputting, by hand, the next week's schedule for Daily Events and PTQs.
-Yet another time, a fellow short of superfluous education and homely wife strode into the card shop to expound on his new Standard deck. "I think the Wrecking Ogre can get there in Standard," he pronounced then. While the regulars dismissed him with bored condescension, he became more and more flustered; after someone threw a jaded left hook, it will distress you to learn that his rejoinder was, "But guys, you don't understand; I'm a libertarian." It was hilarious!!!! Now whenever he says anything like that we just quote it and he, to his credit, takes it all in stride; he's a good-natured fellow.

What's my point? I don't really have an overarching one, but if I did, it would be something like "I love how card games humble brilliant people." I am not good at MtG, really, but playing competitively has taught me a thing or two about game design, or how the moving parts of a Cube work together. Revising my Cube is really a far more brutal process than revising my writing, though (as I am now) I use the former to procrastinate on the latter. In both, my advice is, "throw out your babies." Renewed Faith is cute, but "Magical Christmasland" is an evocative phrase for the kind of scenario I described above. Now Renewed out of the Cube, and I approve, but it's been replaced by either

-Themes that are either too few in number and many in cards to be a risk or challenge to draft, or, in a few cases, are barely supported at all
-Cards that are nuts all the time

No Cube can recreate the feeling of Legacy, though I strongly agree it's an end worth pursuing. In that format, there are just too many weird cards and interactions that don't work in a vacuum, to say nothing of the density of cantrips, to directly import much of anything into Cube; a good example is how Tarmogoyf is a horrible card in the Modo Cube, but a better one is the failed Delver experiment in my Cube, in spite of the 10 one-mana cantrips! Yet, it's weird that this Cube is the "Eternal-informed" Cube but is largely made up of cards that do not fit that description; the power curve is too steep, and the synergies and interactions and brain-asploding difficulties of Legacy are pretty sparse.

To put it another way, I love that we're thinking in terms of "decision density" in this thread, but the design of your Cube makes me think that you could get far, far more decisions in your drafts and games with a few steps I'll type out below.

Cards like Azure Mage, Safehold Elite, Everflowing Chalice, are all "fine cards" to have in your Cube, but when they're juxtaposed with Recurring Nightmare and Skullclamp, I begin to wonder what kind of drafting and playing experience you want and expect your playgroup to have.

Here's a long list of suggested cuts (too lazy for suggested adds, besides, most anyone's Cube could benefit from a little slimming) -- if you wanted to strip your Cube down to its bare bones, which seems like a great idea with the expansion packs (keep us updated on this!), this would be where I'd start:

Mom #2 -- one copy of history's finest 1-drop is enough
Duplicate 187 cards (Blade Splicer, Wall of Omens, Reveillark, Snapcaster, etc.) -- unlike Renewed Faith these cards are strong on their own and I doubt that you need more copies of them, maybe you need more cards that blink things, though.
3 Legionnaires, 4 Cacklers, etc. -- resorting to this to prop up aggro seems gross to me, and eventually it runs into the problem of "3 Figures of Destiny" that end up going 13th, 14th and 15th and damnit it's time to listen to my playgroup.
Elspeth KE -- eh who has ever beaten this card, it's way more powerful than JTMS in Cube
Balance -- in Vintage this is a silver bullet that often does not work due to artifact mana, creatureless decks, and White being a poor color besides, yet it is still restricted. In your Cube it ... ruins games?
Land Tax -- yuck

Waterfront Bouncer -- eh kinda bad
Palinchron -- terrible unless you're combo-ing
Stifle -- probably too narrow (I couldn't even get away with Voidslime in my Cube)
Mana Drain -- geez this is a little much
Traumatic Visions, Rewind -- way too weak without enough of a draw-go theme
FoF #2 -- dunno why you want this in a format that has, if anything, an overabundance of 4-mana Blue draw spells
Dream Halls -- busted or useless
Opposition -- always busted

Apprentice Necromancer -- just bad, I'd sooner double up on Reanimation spells
Pack Rat -- busted or useless
Nighthowler -- unplayable (though Bonehoard is cool)
3x Thoughtseize -- I'm beginning to agree with Kibler et al. when they bitch about how "Thoughtseize reduces choice" and "Standard is Thoughtseize," what's your beef with the other handful of strong 1-mana discard spells?
Dread Return -- just bad (example of a Legacy port that doesn't work)
Recurring Nightmare -- easily the most powerful Cube card outside of power, thinking about its interactions with your overdetermined 187 theme is leading to a ghoulish vision of ever-cycling Kitchen Finks and Shriekmaws

Inner-Flame Acolyte -- eh, is this really good enough?
Spitebellows -- ditto
3x Gargadon -- I question that this is the best way to build a sac theme
Sudden Shock -- funny to see this pop up in Legacy the other day on Modo (RIP Modo), I don't think the Split Second is good enough outside of Constructed to justify running a two-mana Shock
Firestorm / Devastating Dreams -- I would be surprised if these worked
Empty the Warrens -- I prefer a tiny Storm theme to a big one, but, I prefer no theme to a tiny one

Satyr Hedonist -- eh, not even playable in Theros draft honestly
Briarhorn -- meh
Krosan Tusker -- meh
Nostalgic Dreams, Regrowth -- see Storm comments

Demigod of Revenge -- I love this card dearly and wish I could put it in my Cube, except, well, you know how well the triggered ability works with a singleton
3 BTE -- few cards have led to as many lopsided, decision-light Standard wins and losses than this one
Safehold Elite -- meh
Cartel Aristocrat -- too hard to cast with too small an upside to do much
3 Reckoners -- I would not do this in a format as defined by creature combat as Cube
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker -- really as fun as Cruel Ultimatum?

Skullclamp -- "remember the time I had six 1/1's, so I paid 1 mana apiece and drew 12 cards and it was totally fun?"
5 Signets -- these cards are really powerful, be careful. My rec is for 0-2
Swords, Jitte, Batterskull -- you guys know how I feel about these
Maze of Ith -- WHY
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale -- WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I wanted to quiz you about your experience with these cards: Lighthouse Chronologist, Braids, Necrotic Ooze, Pattern of Rebirth (and Defense of the Heart)

How often does this get drafted? By whom? By how many?

As for the devotion theme, TBH I think that most Cubes have enough permanents, especially permanents of a color-intensive variety, that only Blue needs explicit support. White doesn't because there are no cool White devotion cards out yet, but my guess is that there will eventually be those and with Knight of the White Orchid et al. in there I think you're already fine (Light from Within can even double here). I am not sure why you would add Devout Lightcaster.

My ideas for Blue are:

Nightveil Specter
Tidebinder Mage
Cloudfin Raptor
Coralhelm Commander
Old Man of the Sea
Vexing Sphinx
Plumeveil

Honorable mention:

Frostburn Weird
Ghastlord of Fugue and friends (they didn't much push the Blue ones)
Glen Elendra Liege and friends (they actively made the Blue ones the worst)

OK, sweet. I hope that's enough for now.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
- I don't have the same contempt for Renewed Faith that most people do; it's a card that I wouldn't mind having in my control deck but isn't really defensible in a Limited format with a finite number of opportunities to find cards for your deck and strong competition for slots. It could resurface as part of a lower-powered expansion maybe.
- I agree with that overall criticism; my default mindset seems to be one of finding ways to justify adding cards that looked fun at one time, and every so often it suddenly shifts and I go on a cutting spree. One of those was long overdue here and the whole base + expansions idea is a nice offshoot of that.
- Reliance on government is how we end up with MTGS. 'Why not just add another Llanowar Elves to your Cube if you want to?' 'Because they haven't printed Elvish Mystic yet!'

- Yeah, most of the duplicates can either go or (more likely) one copy can stay in the Cube 'base' and the duplicates can go in expansions as necessary, though I'll defend decisions like Blade Splicer #2 over the first generic white 3-drop: it's just a much more interesting card.
- I don't like that kind of artificial support for aggro either but my dislike for that is greatly outweighed by the feeling of seeing Goblin Patrol 12th pick when I'm in black aggro, ya know? Legionnaire in particular is delightful.
- Elspeth is borderline too good, yes. Jace may be #1 overall but it's very hard to top Elspeth in Cube.
- Balance has actually been fairly well-behaved for us. It's kept in - well, balance - to some extent by the fact that it rarely lets you press an advantage, but enables recovering from behind. There are lots of Cube cards that do the former and too few the latter.
- Land Tax does lots of sweet things in theory and only there.

- Bouncer is solid.
- Palinchron is indeed bad when you're not comboing but it works nicely enough with a wide range of things that comboing is easy and effective.
- Stifle is cheap, unique disruption. Between 20+ fetches and much more there should be enough targets.
- Mana Drain is cool but I wouldn't miss it at all and it's potentially very dangerous.
- Traumatic Visions is basically the perfect control card and is much better than it looks. Rewind is more of a build-around-me card than it seems and, as much as I want to convince myself otherwise, the payoff isn't high or obvious.
- FoF #2 takes the place of whatever draw spell would be there instead, and is more interesting than any replacement afaict.
- Dream Halls is relegated to a combo expansion, if I get round to making one.
- Opposition is busted but you have to work for it... kinda. I like having some juicy reward for committing to the board.

- Necromancer is a cheap Zombie with mid/late-game utility. Cuttable but rootable.
- The Pack Rat subgame is fun in Cube where the card is just good enough to do work.
- Nighthowler is a little underpowered but a great card to build around.
- Thoughtseize is inoffensive to me in Standard and basically only annoying in Modern, where BG has the best removal/disruption/threats/planeswalker/everything; in Cube the colours are a lot more balanced. - - - -- Dread Return is at its best in this design, with lots of incidental and focused token support in each colour.
- I wouldn't fault anyone for cutting Recurring Nightmare, but I think it's more exciting than whatever would spring up as the new 'best card'.

- I would recommend Acolyte to anyone.
- Can't say the same for Spitebellows.
- Gargadon is also a good way to build lots of other themes and is special in its own right.
- Sudden Shock is out for sure.
- Firestorm fits more into the 'busted/useless' dichotomy than anything. If you have any kind of card draw in your deck then it's a 1-mana Plague Wind most of the time.
- Devastating Dreams is what a Wildfire effect needs to be. You're shoving when you play it but you're mostly doing that anyway with cards like this and the fact that it's controllable and three times cheaper than its competitors more than makes up for it.
- The draw to Empty is that it's less all-or-nothing than other Storm cards and requires less effort (plus cute interactions with things like Purphoros). I stand by that, though again it might be more at home in its own expansion.

- That falls more on the other R/G cards in Theros than on Hedonist IMO. An aggressive two-drop that randomly churns out early dragons/Titans fits the bill for me.
- 'meh' is a good way to describe Krosan Tusker
- Briarhorn and Nostalgic Dreams are each wonderful in their own way but you can't get married to both of them. If you have one in your Cube you want more cards like it before touching the other.

- Demigod of Revenge gets the Squadron Hawk treatment.
- Cube decks are grown up enough to handle a Frogmite in this day and age.
- meh
- Aristocrat is a little onanistic maybe
- I'm at 1 Reckoner atm, with a second for the Devotion expansion.
- Nicol Bolas is easier to cast while still being mostly uncastable. It's getting chopped soon I'd imagine.

- Control is bad enough as it is, cutting Signets would only make it worse.
- I find Jitte pleasantly unremarkable and Clamp hasn't caused many problems.
- I don't know
- It seemed like a good idea at the time!

- Chronologist is a personal favourite, much better if you're encouraging mono-colour decks by pushing devotion or something similar.
- I haaaaate Braids but respect it.
- You need things like Griselbrand or well-gorged Psychatogs for Ooze to be worth it, which I'd assume isn't what you're going for.
- Defense is unplayable, Pattern is fine.

Right now the Cube is mostly a theoretical exercise, the Gravecrawler-Griselbrand masterpiece from the 3-0 decks thread is the only draft we've done in many months. Always looking to change that though.