Dom's Cube(s)

Really have to draft this some time. I love the hybrid role players idea and I'm really eager to hear what more people have thought of it in practice.
What decks are getting played the most? Which decks are winning the most?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
So obviously this 'every card in a PT-winning deck' Cube being touted by various people is a terrible idea, but there's some value in going back and looking at some sweet Constructed decks to see if the fun parts of them can be replicated or have anything to teach us. And thus, some Block/Standard decks that might be relevant:

First up, some 3 colour control decks from Rav Block or Rav/Kami and Rav/TSP Standard. The original Ravnica was magical for Constructed, and Standard in particular was great during that time:

As much as you people hate them the main reason these decks worked was Signets, which continue to be pariahs for reasons beyond my understanding.

Here, an illustration of what happens when psycho Europeans get their hands on perfect manafixing:

The same top 8 also featured 5 colour Merfolk ('Firespout away my Merrow Reejerey and your cr- oh fuck') and various other decks that give hilarious sample hands.

This one because Reveillark is awesome:

and a Wafo-Tapa special that was great fun to play:

Zendikar was also a tremendous set when its flagships weren't getting banned left and right:

I like Zombies and I like Pod...

and, most recently, Aristocrats Act 2, which I'm determined to make a thing in my Cube somehow:

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It might be. If you play humility first, it's great. If you played Vritue first, then humility overwrites the bonus and the vigilence.

But seriously, to quote me in another thread:
I'm going to animate mutavault.
How big is it? Can it tap for mana? What are its creature types? What if you have Coralhelm Commander in play?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
You activate the +0, which triggers Gideon becoming a 6/6 creature.

Humility is in play, so he is a 1/1 instead.

All damage is still prevented to him because that is part of activating the +0, not static ability on the card.

Gideon loses all his other abilities, but since planeswalkers can only activate once a turn and you already used his +0, it's irrelevant.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Please just add godhead of awe instead :(
I kinda feel like I'm going to be the one fielding all these horrible humility rules questions here

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Looking at themes for a secondary, less powerful Cube. First up:

Auras!

-> ->
-> ->

adorable, right?

(other Spirits include Eidolons (!), Rusalkas, ZUBERAS, Bloodghast, Spirit of the Labyrinth, Strangleroot Geist, Azorius Herald, Fettergeist, Restless Apparition, Stormbound Geist, Celestial Crusader)

good Auras:

and Bestow guys:

and things to put them on:

Dom Harvey

Contributor
back to main Cube for a moment, we're having a purge:

you have to work for wins goddamnit

also, random fun interaction:

someone suggest some good green cards

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay, so I took a bit of a look at your list:
Two Mother of Runes? Really? Is she not like, really really good?

I didn't really see any standout omissions, any idea what specific role you're looking for? I love the double rancor and double green suns's zenith, and your curve is nice and low.

Maybe swap the young wolf for another experiment one? I love that guy, he's a good incentive card and 1 drop beater

Maybe we need something better than Moldervine Cloak? Have you tried Boar Umbra?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
In the absence of the usual Isamarus I need white 1-drops that do things, and Mother is really good but also prompts interesting decisions from both sides.

I guess I have a vague idea that my green section should be roughly the same size as the others, but I don't know what to load it up with.

Experiment One seems cool but it needs the rest of green to have a curve that it leads nicely into, and idk if it's there yet. A second Strangleroot Geist maybe?

Moldervine Cloak is excellent, I like Boar Umbra too but there's Elephant Guide as well. I could just play all of them and make that a thing, but it's probably better to choose.