Ramp
Like things dying
Sacrifice things
Are Elementals
Do something with basic land types

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Produce tokens: Battle Screech, Twilight Drover, see below

Produce counters: evolve, modular, graft, Unruly Mob, Oran-Rief, Rustic Clachan, Blade of the Bloodchief, Ashling, Golgari Guildmage, Sliths, Descendant of Masumaro, Fertilid, Gluttonous Slime/Thunder-Thrash Moa/Predator Dragon, Hunting Moa

Like things dying: Caller of the Claw, Second Sunrise/Faith's Reward

Sacrifice things: Gargadons, Reprocess, Varolz

Elementals: once you move beyond the usual evoke stuff there's Incandescent Soulstoke, Voice of Resurgence (!), Nova Chaser, Avenger of Zendikar (!), Changeling Berserker/Titan, Cairn Wanderer

Just joined the forum and read around today. I've been brainstorming a custom limited environment of my own lately, and I found it funny (and certainly not a coincidence) that we came to the same conclusion on Eldrazi Spawn. Being numerous, adding mana, and giving on-demand access to a "dies" trigger makes the little buggers so versatile, and a great bridge across archetypes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them another look. I have one currently (I think), but could always use more!

Another mechanic that I've identified as a good fit for my custom set that has emphases on counters, tokens, and "dies" triggers - Devour! Seems like it checks your boxes as well.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Another mechanic that I've identified as a good fit for my custom set that has emphases on counters, tokens, and "dies" triggers - Devour! Seems like it checks your boxes as well.

I also have one Devour creature, and I like it in theory, there just weren't many actual devour cards that I liked. Do you have any specifics that you recommend?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, those Devour suggestions are good.

I saw Hellion Eruption while flipping through a trade binder this weekend. It's a definite maybe. It's a cool card, but, like Wildfire, I do wonder whether any decks will actually play it. Worth a shot I suppose.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I own a copy of this goober:
Image.ashx

Chris Taylor

Contributor
While awesome, I have to recommend against any and all forein cards in a cube (Let alone something so under the radar)
The number of times I've been asked what tidings does...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, there should be a big warning when you place a huge order.

"It looks like you ordered 119 English cards and 1 Japanese one. Was this a whoopsie?"

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ah, so the big shipment for testing this beast out is on it's way then? :p
I'll make some exceptions on foreign cards. I think we can probably get away with a textless lightning bolt, and I wouldn't begrudge you for running an Italian chains of mephistopheles since nobody knows what that card does even if it is in english.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I have all but the 10 most expensive cards or so in my possession now. With an extreme amount of luck I can run a draft of it this weekend.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Man, apparently my bookkeeping was really sloppy because I'm missing about 20 cards on my list that I just simply never ordered. When I started my original cube I just started with the cards that I had and very gradually converged on a "finished" list. Trying to get a specific 360 card configuration from scratch is very annoying and tedious. Looks like I'll be putting off testing until next month.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible that Echo is also a fun way to turn on Morbid, but I'm not seeing any echo cards I like for this design.