Eldrazi Domain Cube

This might be another monstrosity, but there are some powerfull exploits in there that have a high chance of winning games
http://cubetutor.com/draftdeck/6706

http://cubetutor.com/draftdeck/6699
First draft that I saved the decklists! (other were before persistent login and I lost all the decklists)

Would this deck actually be any good or is it too slow to matter?

It seems plenty powerfull, with some great presence on-board with those walls, reckoner and call of the herd.

Cut a color ? i'm only playing 3 colors. i could easily remove blue but don't want to lose duskmantle. hero isn't in there for being CMC4.
green and white are only there for maximizing the domain spells.

I might be wrong on not playing hero. i most likely am wong there actually.
i feel weird about cutting my least present color though, blue.
I have 2 counters, agony warp and duskmantle + 2 of my domain-maximizing lands go over blue, as well as my misty rainforest.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
And Boros Charm apparently. Zenith might be a little sketchy in the mainboard here. Underworld Connections instead?

Oh, boros charm yes. three white sources and a deathrite might be a bit too greedy yes.

Underworld over zenith seems like a solid move. killing my own aggro seems to be about as bad as my decks can get.

CML

Contributor
man, it's been way too long since i checked this thread. i wanna play this cube REAL BAD. jason, will you be doing articles on this bad boy soon? it's pretty avant-garde and brilliant

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
man, it's been way too long since i checked this thread. i wanna play this cube REAL BAD. jason, will you be doing articles on this bad boy soon? it's pretty avant-garde and brilliant

Yeah, but I want to actually play it before I write about it. I actually plan to write a lot about it as if I were control of the world this style of "custom" cubes would be the next big thing in cubing. The design has been incredibly fun and people are excited to play it. CFB shipped 6 days ago, so... maybe Tuesday?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also the tentative plan is:

Monday: M14 Cube Review
Two weeks from Monday: A really boring article
Four weeks from Monday: Eldrazi Domain introduction article

CML

Contributor
Amazing. I'll try and get some people together to draft it. It's really a treat to look at the list.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I still need to figure out the utility land draft for this one. I think this cube might want a second cycle of shocklands.

CML

Contributor
my group has been happy with 15 fetches and 15 shocks (doubles on enemy-color) in a 405, and moving m10 lands to the funsies land draft

edit: in a domain list i agree strongly that you want some more shocks.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
my group has been happy with 15 fetches and 15 shocks (doubles on enemy-color) in a 405, and moving m10 lands to the funsies land draft

edit: in a domain list i agree strongly that you want some more shocks.

Yeah, Hannes is bringing his Shocks tomorrow so I'll test out doubling down. If it's a good idea I'll buy an extra cycle at the end of the month.

EDIT: Fully sleeved and 8 drafters lined up for tomorrow.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Image.ashx

Fits the theme perfectly, but I don't know if it's powerful enough.

Sounds awesome with Eldrazi spawn tokens. You still get blown up by Wrath but that's the same as if you played something like It That Betrays, and it's much better against Doom Blade. From what I saw of the card it's very well developed; it feels mythic and has a big impact but it doesn't let you turn around utterly lost games. If there's a card like Volcanic Fallout it can get you in response because the tapping happens on resolution.

If it's too slow for this cube that's too bad, but if people get value out of Eternal Dragon then I think the format is slow enough. I think if it's not too slow then it's definitely impactful enough. It's kind of like hardcasting Entreat the Angels except it's better for most formats because there's no swingy miracle nonsense and you have to play other creatures in your deck for it to work.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this was suuuuper interesting. A lot of memorable stuff I tied in the finals (well, tied it in Game 4 of a Best of 3) with a RGb ramp deck. I have many thing to say.

But mostly I discovered something really fundamental and really obvious about the game of Magic. Your decision density is inversely related to the cost of your cards. I don't think it's possible to make a high CMC environment with the same decision density as a low CMC one. The source of fun needs to come from elsewhere.

I don't know if design can compensate or if competitive Magic simply isn't well suited to hardcasting 8+ mana spells.

CML

Contributor
well, we do lower the curve in our cubes for a reason, but im not sure it's as simple as that. most of the better draft formats (ROE, OLS, RGD) have been pretty slow. it's not so much just "long games" but also that OLS and RGD both had ways to ensure you'd spend your mana every turn in those long games with cycling+morph and bouncelands+"everything says draw a card" respectively. plus lots of activated abilities.

something that lines up better with the high CMC theory is AVR, which had a high curve and disastrously short games bereft of any decisions because of the brilliant decision to print no removal. constructed formats also agree with standard having dull games, modern being pretty fun, and legacy being the toughest and sweetest to pilot in by far.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Cards that seemed like they possibly shouldn't be there:

Going to test Brood Birthing and Collective Restraint again though.