General Eldrazi Domain CubeTutor decks

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
It's obnoxious as hell, but Collective Restraint is four mana! Also, Collapsing Borders is kinda funny :)

Borders is a neat idea, but it's not gunna work as an aggro card. Against a mono color deck it deals them 2 damage every turn. Against anybody else it's either not worth it, or nets them life. Unless you're trying to gain life from it?

Yeah, that's why I called it obnoxious as hell :) Collapsing Borders is a fun build-around-me card though! You could also look into more sunburst cards. The cheaper ones are super funny with Fist of the Suns :) Pentad Prism is maybe worth doubling up on? Baton of Courage is a pretty decent combat trick, Clearwater Goblet is a powerful lifegain tool, Engineered Explosives we all know, Infused Arrows is decent enough, Opaline Bracers hits like a truck, Suntouched Myr is an early drop for the deck, and Skyreach Manta is a fat finisher. The beauty of sunburst is that it overlaps wonderfully with the proliferate subtheme as well :)
oh my god, yes, add more sunburst! And then add ION STORM!!!!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Borders is a neat idea, but it's not gunna work as an aggro card. Against a mono color deck it deals them 2 damage every turn. Against anybody else it's either not worth it, or nets them life. Unless you're trying to gain life from it?

Well, the domain deck isn't really an aggro deck, is it? It's a cute way to accumulate life in slower domain decks while nibbling away at your opponent's life total. You gain 1 or 2 per turn, your opponent takes 1 or 2 per turn, subtly forcing villain to either take action (which you can use to your advantage) or die. Slowly.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Could see Unearth. Any specific cards you think are sweet with it?

Sweet targets from the current list (some are a bit meh):

Things you could run:

I think you should run ruinator, myr and strix anyway.

Bonus for everybody!
utVy4zS.png

CXorHYU.png

Just look at him! :3

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Well, the domain deck isn't really an aggro deck, is it? It's a cute way to accumulate life in slower domain decks while nibbling away at your opponent's life total. You gain 1 or 2 per turn, your opponent takes 1 or 2 per turn, subtly forcing villain to either take action (which you can use to your advantage) or die. Slowly.

No way, in format your opponent loses 0 every turn, or in some cases gains 1 or 2, and occasionally loses 1.
Multicolor aggro is definitely a player in this cube, but even for other decks this is bad. Would you pay 3R for an enchantment that says "every turn you gain one life and your opponent loses one life"? No way! And you can't even guarantee that it will do that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No way, in format your opponent loses 0 every turn, or in some cases gains 1 or 2, and occasionally loses 1.
Multicolor aggro is definitely a player in this cube, but even for other decks this is bad. Would you pay 3R for an enchantment that says "every turn you gain one life and your opponent loses one life"? No way! And you can't even guarantee that it will do that.

It's a red life gain card, you have to factor in the brownie points for that, not look at it from a purely mathematical point of view!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm curious about Jeskai Ascendancy...(blah blah)
My feeling is that there should be a few more prowess cards.

Perhaps not so great. Sage is good sacrifice fodder, thief and spellblade are good with hoodprints (that's weak, I know). Spellblade works with counters (Now I understand why you had Nivmagus Elemental before. Might not be bad actually), and Talrand works with populate.

edit: stormchaser mage shouldn't be on this list.

Laz

Developer
I cut Grim Backwoods from my Utility Land Draft, and there is literally no cost to having it there!

Judges Familiar is interesting as another source of on-demand Morbid in colours that don't have a lot of those (but conversely don't have a lot of morbid), but is otherwise mostly just a cheap evasive body, and there are a lot of effects that care about that (Sublime Archangel, Mikaeus the still-alive, Rubblebelt Raiders, etc), that also happens to be a multi-coloured 1-drop (all of the Shard-blades). I think it earns its spot, simply for doing a lot of little things.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I love the flavor text, but Grim Backwoods really isn't close to playable I think. Lands have to have a fair bit of upside if they tap only for colorless. If colorless mana is a thing in your cube though, they could be a bit more sought after. Still a bad card though.

I noticed this cube has less one drops than the average 360 list. I bet that's intentional to slow down the format, right? I just wonder how someone who want to go aggro drafts Steppe Lynx, and then never sees another white one drop again. Which is a distinct possibility in a 540 cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I love the flavor text, but Grim Backwoods really isn't close to playable I think. Lands have to have a fair bit of upside if they tap only for colorless. If colorless mana is a thing in your cube though, they could be a bit more sought after. Still a bad card though.

I noticed this cube has less one drops than the average 360 list. I bet that's intentional to slow down the format, right? I just wonder how someone who want to go aggro drafts Steppe Lynx, and then never sees another white one drop again. Which is a distinct possibility in a 540 cube.

That is a concern, of course. From playtesting I think the cube is a bit aggro / aristocrats favored at the moment, so I've been adding in some "good against aggro, bad against big creature" removal spells to try and tweak the balance a bit.

Also, a number of the 1-drops are hybrid, so the monocolor 1-drop slots do look a bit light.

Warwolt's GB Aggro from CubeTutor.com

I'm not sure if GB aristocrats is supposed to be a deck, but it really didn't feel like it. I think I waited forever for a creature that gave more than one body for the card, which I would argue is an essential feature of the creature's in a sac-aggro deck.

Edit: So I saw a GB spawn deck further up in the thread and that one looked sweet. Maybe the bots just took the spawn cards pretty highly and I neglected some of the non-creature spawn generators?