Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
How have you liked mistfire in general/how have people been playing it? I really like the card, but I believe your format is higher power.

I like the idea of it being a higher power mistfire analogue.

It's been a tad low power for my environment. The "problem" with the card is that it's a measly Hill Giant if you don't have any spells. If you can fire of multiple spells, it can totally break a stalemate by jumping your entire team, which happens once in a blue moon, but most of the time it's used as a 4/4 flyer by casting a single spell. It also doesn't help that the ability is very proactive, i.e. you want to cast your spells before attacking. This clashes with the various counterspells, for more than the obvious reason actually, because Mistfire asks that you tap mana on your own turn to be able to swing in, meaning you have less (or no) mana on your opponent's turn for your counterspells.

I like Niblis of Frost, because it fills many of the same roles as Mistfire Adept. The prowess trigger is obvious, both turn into a 4/4 flyer, but like Mistfire Adept it allows you to break a stalemate by tapping down multiple problematic blockers. Unlike Mistfire Adept, it does something if you have no spells (it's still a 3/3 flyer), works well with counterspells, and plays much better with instants, because you can tap down a creature for two turns.

Re: Dungeon Geists; I've always been happy with the card while it was in my list, and it performs well, but I've axed it some time ago actually, because it's also pretty boring and generically good as an etb creature. I recently introduced Icefall Regent to my cube. It's a mana more expensive, which I don't mind, etb effects are nice when they cost you something, and it's a more interesting card. The clock is a bit faster, and tacking {2} onto the cost of a removal spell means it trades in a mana neutral way a lot of the time. All in all Regent is both more fair and more interesting imo than Geists. In my list Regent also has the small benefit of working well with Crux of Fate in the {U/B} control deck :)

Edit: Re: Tree of Perdition.

Obviously Emrakul changed our old "mythic" friend for the "worse"...

Quick! Someone make a combo deck in Standard!

curioushomunculus.jpg
voraciousreader.jpg

...I might finally be caving and running more DFCs. Dammit!

gisaandgeralf.jpg

This might be a little on the nose (as tribal support) for some people, but it does tie blue into the zombie tribe in a nice way. Didn't you try getting that to work earlier, Jason?

bloodhallpriest.jpg

Also, Hellbent is back, on a madness card! Heir of falkenrath into this, and get some reach when the gas runs out?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I always thought the Eldrazi were lame, so a lot of these cards seem cool mechanically, but I'd kind of feel like a tool running them. The worst offender is lone rider. This could have been a strait up headless horseman reference and it would have been my kind of card, but for some reason its a lame tentacled up abomination that I can't manage to bring any feeling towards other then resentment.

But that out of the way, Bloodhall Priest is pretty much perfect.

Kinda odd that they decided on an etb trigger for G&G instead of cast- as-written they can be killed with the trigger on the stack and you get nothing :(

Bloodhall priest just rubs me the wrong way, it doesn't seem like a card the tribal deck needs. Trigger isn't really powerful enough for you to take hand-dumping risks for.

haunteddead.jpg

Haunted dead
When ~ ETBs, make a spirit token
{1}{B}, discard two cards: return ~ from the graveyard to the battlefield tapped

Neat token producer with recursion tacked on. Expensive/costly but probably a house in limited.

ingeniousskaab.jpg

Ingenious Skaab
Prowess
{U}: ~ gets +1/-1 until EoT

Man this thing hits HARD if you have enough mana... a prowess trigger and {U}{U}{U} to hit for six? I don't know a lot about pauper/peasant cubes but this thing seems like a slam dunk for them to my untrained eye. Also KARATE ZOMBIE

soulseparator.jpg

Alright that flavor is pretty rad, but what a mess of a card.

I don't know how I missed that before. Holy shit that's cool.
If i add it in my cube no one will think it's a bad idea per se, but the card to me doesn't do anything WELL. Even if it had kicker, i still probably wouldn't add it in my cube.
Rather go for Memory Lapse or Remand or some of the billion different bounce spells in existence.

And something of use to you guys:

decimatorofprovinces.jpg
voldarenpariah.jpg
abolisherofbloodlines.jpg

Red donate to modern, i hope Demonic Pacts start making appearances in the modern !

Oh and the boar reads:
Decimator of Pronvinces
Eldrazi Boar
Emerge 6GGG

When you cast Decimator of Pronvinces, creatures you control get +2/+2 and gain trample until end of turn.

Haste, Trample