Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Pulse is plenty good enough. My format, and those of many others, don't operate at the cusp of "powered" territory. It's definitely not the most powerful of cards out there, but it's fine. For that reason, I could definitely see an argument to switch Pulse for Grapple because of the lower cost and three more cards for selection.

Wait, this is real? The artist font is off, and the bad rules text alignment sort of gives it away. No one is raising this possibility, so I suppose I may be overlooking something but... it doesn't look real.

Edit: it's real. A friend pointed out the source of this spoiler - a video which shows the card with the text appearing in steps like a PowerPoint presentation o_O. The video was probably made with a card generator or something and the picture is a screenshot of it. So the image really is fake, though the card is legit.

UM

cards i did not expect them to print:
whispersofemrakul.jpg

the uncommons this set are ridiculous

Is anyone else intrigued by this? Between this, Heir of Falkenrath, Pale Rider of Trostad, and potentially Oona's Prowler, we're reaching a pretty high density of aggro-discard outlets that seem worth exploring. I'd like to see an aggro-reanimator deck emerge in black, because I think it would be a neat way to intersect between aggressive low-drops, card selection, and big splashy finishers. Going {B}{R} is the obvious route, though there may be another...

Aside from that, I must also stick my neck out there and say that we've got a decent density of cube-worthy Vampires now, and if you're looking for Lords, they're more excusable than ever. Though {B}{B}, Stromkirk Condemned is at least able to grow to a 3/3 and potentially an anthem, and it's also in the colour most strongly desiring good discard outlets. It doesn't offer the absurd hand-dump plays of Wild Mongrel, that's true, but I'm not sure if that's really a requirement for it to be a nice card, since it offers "buddy system" potential. I'm not saying "pack all vamps in your list", but there are a fair number of them that aren't terribly embarrassing to throw into any deck. Consider something like the following...

Dead Ringers

Of these, what's really fringey? Falkenrath Gorger is a 2/1 for {R}, and though I agree it bores me to tears, if there's enough potential incidental vampires for it, I'm game. Arrogant Bloodlord certainly seems to lack fans in these parts, but it's on my docket for testing soon, and I'm reasonably optimistic that it could do good in a token-light environment, which is where I'm at currently. Shadow Alley Denizen is definitely janky, but it could be fun; feel free to imagine that's a Zurgo Bellstriker if you'd rather, though. I'm guessing we might get a few more really playable vampires, too. I'm not saying that it's time for vampire tribal per se, but the pieces are coming together for it to be an oops-I-did-that kind of deck off the back of playable-on-their-own lords, to the point where some of these more ponderous includes (Bloodline Keeper for example) might be worth a second consideration.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not really impressed by the Evangel, am I missing something (that does not involve Magical Christmas Land)?

*spoilers* Liliana's Oath is in, spoiled from the art book, so no idea what the card does yet. The art is gorgeous though.

Seems strong in a {G}{W} tokens sort of deal. Cash in to upgrade your 1/1's into 3/2's. Almost like a G anthem.

And even sacking a mana dork later in the game seems like decent value. Nice card. Unfortunately for me, it seems very awkwardly placed for what I want G to be doing. Alas.

I don't hate condemned. There is a mild amount of incidental tribal but I think it's not quite there on its own. I'll have to check my vampire levels.

emrakulsevangel.jpg

Pretty neat- upgrading a bunch of crappy plant tokens and elves into a threatening army is cool.

Hmm.....

Anyway, I like the idea of a {B/R} discard/reanimator aggro deck. I wish there were any Hellbent cards that had any kind of real payoff. The closest is Rakdos Pit Dragon and that's pretty underwhelming when stacked next to modern cards.

6i9kcmlizj6x.jpg

Stromkirk Mystic
2R
Creature - Vampire/Horror
Trample
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of your library. Until end of turn, you may play that card.
Madness 1R
3/2