Sets [EMN] Eldritch Moon Spoilers Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's a Reduce in Stature variant.

images

Nah, I'm with Chris. Reduce in stature keeps it a creature, which gives you an opportunity to counteract your dragon becoming tiny with buffs/removal+recursion etc. This thing removes all card types so you can't even gate it back to your hand, sacrifice it (as a creature) or anything- your only option is to remove the aura.

It's an iconic story moment so it has to be rare-tier while maintaining flavor. Locking Emrakul in the moon matches too perfectly with an o-ring like effect of a 'prison enchantment,' but they wanted more oomph. It's also Tamiyo's spell (powered by Nissa) so it's blue- blue gets "downgrade" effects so they mixed the two (prison enchantments and downgrades) and came up with this. I'm not really sure why it's allowed to target lands- blue's mana disruption has always been on super-narrow cards.

Blue's premier weaknesses- resolved threats and special lands- taken care of in a single card. Blue's pie slice continues to expand in the name of "flavor." /salt

Playable red "nuke" that happens to kill off enchantments please.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Nah, I'm with Chris. Reduce in stature keeps it a creature, which gives you an opportunity to counteract your dragon becoming tiny with buffs/removal+recursion etc. This thing removes all card types so you can't even gate it back to your hand, sacrifice it (as a creature) or anything- your only option is to remove the aura.

It's an iconic story moment so it has to be rare-tier while maintaining flavor. Locking Emrakul in the moon matches too perfectly with an o-ring like effect of a 'prison enchantment,' but they wanted more oomph. It's also Tamiyo's spell (powered by Nissa) so it's blue- blue gets "downgrade" effects so they mixed the two (prison enchantments and downgrades) and came up with this. I'm not really sure why it's allowed to target lands- blue's mana disruption has always been on super-narrow cards.

Blue's premier weaknesses- resolved threats and special lands- taken care of in a single card. Blue's pie slice continues to expand in the name of "flavor." /salt

Playable red "nuke" that happens to kill off enchantments please.

:p

I mean hey, if Commander is where we go for things maro considers a mistake but are actually fine magic cards....
(Like hornet queen is apparently an abomination to him, and I don't really see it. Deathtouch is fine and totally in color, the flying is a little weird but not impossible, I think the actual issue with it is it's just too powerful)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
aren't giant board stalls are the main problem with Hornet Queen? seems like it would be hard for any board state to progress meaningfully after a player puts five evasive, deathtouch blockers into play, and those tokens don't exactly end the game quickly in favour of the pilot

Chris Taylor

Contributor
aren't giant board stalls are the main problem with Hornet Queen? seems like it would be hard for any board state to progress meaningfully after a player puts five evasive, deathtouch blockers into play, and those tokens don't exactly end the game quickly in favour of the pilot

Hornet Queen usually wins you the game too fast to stall it. :p

This.
Unless they control exactly Commander Eesha, she's a 6/6 flier. You'll be fine :p
the problem is theres basically no removal in magic that interacts favorably with it

I'd almost run it just for the art. I think that sigil is really cool looking and also, crop circles! It's probably good if you're doing stuff with your graveyard in green.

It's basically this card though, no? Sure, you can actually net a card with crop sigil, but it requires you too have hit delirium so it depends on how often you manage to do that.

That's exactly the problem with this card. It's less a 6/6 flier, and more a 4/4 to 2/2 flier with a buncha 1/1 deathtouch backup. If all 6 power is attacking, you are probably really far ahead on board already.

CmyS9AbXEAAxagy.png:large

Seems not nearly pushed enough but could be nice.
I think the most unfortunate thing is that using the ability has a decent chance of turning off the delirium it used to be active. A little bit of a non-bo...

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I get that Hornet Queen attacks for six in the air, but then, in those situations where you're winning, any ol' Shivan Dragon will do.

It's the situations where you're not winning that all those deathtouch tokens clog up the board; in my experience, any deck trying to set up for a green seven drop is often behind by the time they're able to cast it. If you have to peck them for two in the air a turn and hold the rest of the troops back, nobody's actually having fun.

Army-in-a-can cards are pretty questionable for what they do to a cube's gameplay, and Hornet Queen just seems like the worst offender. I'd think it was a bad design even if it were put in blue or black; being green doesn't change much about it.

powerofthemoon.jpg

Power of the Moon
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent casts a spell, sacrifice ~ and counter that spell.

What a neat card. It seems pretty abysmal in cube where almost every deck has a card they're willing to throw under the bus- a mana dork, a pump spell etc, but it seems like a cool "shield" to recur with auramancer or sun titan?

So they did the full update. Some cool stuff. I am imprisoned by my mobile device right now, but there are definitely some tasty morsels among the last third of the set.