General Fight Club

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, I appreciate the welcome! I've noticed this trend with wtwlf123 of late too and I've appreciated it quite abit too, nods towards unpowered cubes and not just different powered cube sizes during his Amonkhet preview was a refreshing change of pace and inspired me to give Forsake the Worldly a shot which I probably wouldn't have otherwise. But yeah I really wish people would consider the context of different cubes before engaging in a battle of the best. And speaking of fighting over different cards, I'm curious as to which golgari two drop you guys prefer:

I've noticed the flayer and delirium as a mechanic seem quite popular around these forums, however with the new zombie support in Dread Wanderer and Plague Belcher I've been tempted to go more heavily into a zombie theme for black. Rishkar, Peema Renegade, Asylum Visitor, and Winding Constrictor/Hardened Scales all have some neat interactions with the troll as well, and while I don't run the last two just yet I've been tempted to support +1 counters more explicitly as well. Then again I love the human synergy and the 'delirium minigame' flayer brings to the table.

Flayer all day. Even when I ran, like, the most Zombie heavy cube ever, I still cut Lotleth Troll. Flayer is both more likely to make your decks, and more interesting in them.

I like Troll better in attrition based match up due ability to use some dead draws, regenerate, and ability to grow larger. For cube, there are some nice synergies, but I do not think that zombie is one of the more relevant ones. (I do not think green has anything special for zombies. ) Otherwise, Grim Flayer is better due to lower cost to grow, potential card advantage, and the aforementioned mini game. Flayer also has the added benefit of encouraging attacking/ending games on time.

I haven't tried Flayer. I have tried a few delirium cards and that's hard to trigger, even more so in my cube without walkers. But Golgari has a lot of ways to get stuff in the yard, so it might be better in this color pairing. I think for me though, I dislike the amount of text on Flayer. It's just a lot to read through. Lotleth Troll is fine. It comes in and out of my list mostly because it's useful and can occasionally take over games since the regenerate is really cheap. Still, I don't really enjoy running that card.

My ideal Golgari card would be a weaker Meren of Clan Nel Toth. Remove the experience part of that card and I'd probably slam it in every list imaginable. As written though, Meren is wordy and simply too good I feel.

Flayer all day. Even when I ran, like, the most Zombie heavy cube ever, I still cut Lotleth Troll. Flayer is both more likely to make your decks, and more interesting in them.

Wow, even in a zombie centric cube?? This kind of depresses me, the Troll is a bit of a nostalgic card for me, was a staple of my first casual deck from back in the day when I thought Corpsejack Menace was the bees knees. I've decided I'm going to give Grim Flayer a spin, if only so I can justify sleeving up my beautiful prerelease Ishkanah, Grafwidow. I'm also tired of explaining how regeneration works.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Supernatural Stamina lets you trade with something in combat en get the card back. Undying Evil won't help you in that case, but it does, of course, grow the creature in the future. Undying Evil is also a much better answer to a removal spell. I honestly don't know which one is better.

vs

Can't really decide between these. Leaning toward Anger because it's an old frame card and seems interesting with reanimator/gifts ungiven shenanigans. But Ogre might be more useful in more decks, is probably stronger overall (this plus Siege-Gang Commander or a stormed empty the warrens seems retarded). It feels especially powerful in a midrange shell which might be something I really need in my combo list (where midrange is going to be naturally disadvantaged anyway).

Thoughts?

I think that the real difference between Ogre Battledriver and Anger is where they work from. In this is suggest asking yourself how easy it is to get Anger into your graveyard as it can be easily stonewall, chumped, or let though if you plan to get it from the battlefield to the grave. If you can cheat it into your graveyard between turns one to three then you are looking at upside. (Really before anything massive comes down to be honest, but at a later point I would rather combo it with Grisalbrand.) Ogre Battledriver suffers from the opposite problem because there is no great way to cheat it into play where there would not be better things to do and it has to be on the battel field. If Ogre Battledriver is killed then it could be a massive tempo loss in a game where the tempo loss is tantamount to a game loss. (Doubt it will be attacking wither way.) On the bright side, the +2/+0 can make a lot of damage appear out of nowhere.

Personally, I have found Ogre Battledriver too expensive for what he does (although the cost does make sense) and Anger to be too hard to use productively. However, I am not highly familiar with your cube and can only speak from a midrange value cube perspective, and may have missed something.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
In the game today, once a card hits 4-5 mana, it probably needs an ETB to be playable, and once it hits 6 mana, it really needs to be doing something immediate upon hitting the battlefield. Most interaction in cube formats is going to be costed at 1-3 mana, and having a turn of mana expenditure negated by a 1-3cc piece of interaction is an absolute beating in formats based around efficient pressure.

The only real pseudo-exception, would be 4-5cc creatures that untap and win the game, and even that, I'm honestly not sure if its true or if its just selective memory from how spectacular those games feel when it works. I'm leaning towards not true, but its probably not worth an online argument.

There might be some cards we run on the basis of fun, but we should only do this when we feel our player base is willing to tolerate the occasional removal facilitated blowout.

Battledrive is a fragile, 4cc spell that does nothing upon hitting the battlefield, needs to untap, probably won't win when you untap, and isn't particularly fun to use. I would give it a big thumbs down.

Anger seems a lot better, because you can drop it in the yard as a free pseudo enchantment, and you know its going to do what you want it to do.

Anger it is. I just tried gold fishing a couple aggressive decks with Ogre and it's really hard to maximize for reasons you are both stating. Too bad this thing didn't cost 3. I'm OK with the bursty nature of the card honestly. This is for my combo list so that's sort of the point. But it's clunky and I think the tempo loss from removal problem is a real one, especially here where midrange already has problems.

I like Ogre Battledriver so much more. There are so many army-in-a-can guys both in and out of red now that he does serious work, especially with Purphoros. I've had better experiences than the other posters here.

Laz

Developer
Last time I cubed, my opponent played an Ogre Battledriver when I was on something like 8 life. I couldn't kill it, and it genuinely put the fear of every drawstep into me. Ended up getting wrecked by Murderous Redcap. Turns out that card is powerful with the Battledriver when you stack the triggers right...

It is definitely weaker, but I like the effect quite a bit.

How much looting do you have?

Quite a few. I love graveyard synergies, so I'm not worried about getting Anger in the yard. Should be easy enough. Ogre just feels a bit too midrange which is what I'm worried about mostly. The card clearly has some burst potential if you can setup some plays following. But I really need to do more testing to see what flavors of midrange are viable in my combo list. I fear most of those strategies (Ogre included) will be like no man's land on the tennis court. Not far forward enough to effectively volley, not far back enough to engage in a baseline rally.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Last time I cubed, my opponent played an Ogre Battledriver when I was on something like 8 life. I couldn't kill it, and it genuinely put the fear of every drawstep into me. Ended up getting wrecked by Murderous Redcap. Turns out that card is powerful with the Battledriver when you stack the triggers right...

It is definitely weaker, but I like the effect quite a bit.

This is a really good post, and a great example of what I mean by this class of creature cards being deceptive. The main problem with them is how mana inefficient they trade with removal, and how this sets up a player to be punished for doing something they shouldn't be being punished for. However, you get these occasional game states where the relevant interaction doesn't exist, and the card looks great.

The standard shouldn't be how they perform without interaction, it should be how they perform in the presence of interaction--at least in these sorts of interactive, fair formats, premised on back and forth, as the latter is the more likely scenario it has to operate in.

Battledriver might be more reasonable, because you aren't planning on stabilizing with it, and literally losing the game when its vapor snagged EOT, but its problem seems to me more that an aggressive deck really doesn't want that level of speculative effectiveness in its burst damage tools. They kind of need those cards to work to close out the game.

It's a high risk high reward type of card. And some people are going to enjoy those cards more than others. The ceiling on Ogre is really really high. It's why I was considering it.

One thing to bear in mind too with the removal argument is that certain cards have higher tolerances. I think Ogre is one those. It's easy to theorize about tempo loss from the card but you have to consider the context of the decks that would run it. How many must-answer creatures do they have? And by the time Ogre comes down, how many removal spells can their opponent still have in hand? Rx agro decks you pretty much have to be answering every creature right away or you are just going to lose. So by T4, you probably already spent your wad.

By contrast, a big fat creature meant for a control deck cannot fail the terminate test because most decks playing against that control deck will often have removal for whatever the finisher is (since they've been sitting on those removal cards while the control player spent 5 turns not playing dudes). An agro deck running Ogre though might have 15 creatures? You have 15 snuff outs in your deck to deal with all of them (and 60 life to cast them all for free)? Ogre failing the terminate test is likely a lot less of a problem than the theory crafting scenarios are painting.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It's a high risk high reward type of card. And some people are going to enjoy those cards more than others. The ceiling on Ogre is really really high. It's why I was considering it.

One thing to bear in mind too with the removal argument is that certain cards have higher tolerances. I think Ogre is one those. It's easy to theorize about tempo loss from the card but you have to consider the context of the decks that would run it. How many must-answer creatures do they have? And by the time Ogre comes down, how many removal spells can their opponent still have in hand? Rx agro decks you pretty much have to be answering every creature right away or you are just going to lose. So by T4, you probably already spent your wad.

By contrast, a big fat creature meant for a control deck cannot fail the terminate test because most decks playing against that control deck will often have removal for whatever the finisher is (since they've been sitting on those removal cards while the control player spent 5 turns not playing dudes). An agro deck running Ogre though might have 15 creatures? You have 15 snuff outs in your deck to deal with all of them (and 60 life to cast them all for free)? Ogre failing the terminate test is likely a lot less of a problem than the theory crafting scenarios are painting.

Because of the way you formated your response, I want to make sure we understand that I am purely commentating on the mana inefficiency of certain creatures in the context of formats that punish players for it, due to their condensed nature.

I feel like we're already deflecting to things far removed from that, which isn't what I wanted at all. There are no 15 snuff out decks, midrange decks don't slow an aggro board purely with spot removal, and time focused aggro decks trying to condense the game down the minimum number of turns are going to be more concerned with the consequences of having their slow overrun hit by removal, not less concerned with it.

If you want to run ogre thats fine, and there are reasons that one can come up with for running it, but its a time inefficient card due to its lack of haste/etb compared to most other creatures commonly ran in formats, and its a hefty mana investment for a card that does nothing on its own immediately, and puts you down mana when it gets zapped.

Yes, sometimes you'll get board states where the opponent doesn't have an answer, you get to untap with it, and maybe you run out a siege gang commander and its OP. All of this class of creature are like that, and its how they end up in formats. That doesn't negate that the card is not well positioned given the way a lot of cubes are structured. It also doesn't mean you can't run it if you want too--we're all playing on kitchen tables after all. Your playgroup just has to be ok with the occasional blowout, or at least not conscious of it. That works a lot too, and these cards are good at flying under the radar.

Brick creatures are designed in a way where they get blown out by cheap removal and bounce, and its easy to forget that when they come down and the opponent doesn't have it, especially if they are "if I untap" Bricks--lets just be honest about that, than do whatever we want.

Have you actually run Ogre though? I'm simply suggesting it might play better than it reads since two people who have played with it posted positive responses for it. And there are a couple max power people who ran it for awhile and had good things to say about it after running it. My guess is it's not in any lists because red 4's are so stacked (talking max power crowd).

Some cards can't easily be theory crafted. Let me give you a good example which I wrote extensively about on MTGS (and may have mentioned here). Borborygmos Enraged. 8 mana creature that fails the terminate test pretty badly and looks tame compared to many other cards at this cost. But in fast reanimator/sneak attack decks the card consistently over performs in practice. Primarily because the attack trigger almost always flips lands. And both types of decks generally have lands in hand when it comes down because they don't need many in play (but you still have to run 16 in your deck). End of the day, you nearly always have cards for the bolt effect immediately and sometimes enough to one shot someone. It's surprisingly good in these decks to the point where I reach for it more often than other cards now. It's almost too good for my combo list, that's how strong it's performing. It's a case where applying conventional thinking about a card can just fail to properly take into account the context of how it ends up played.

I understand the argument against Ogre. You pay 4 and get nothing until next turn (and the investment is only worth it if you can truly exploit it). It's a risk and it's hard to maximize because it costs a lot. There are ways to get there though. One thing I've been experimenting a lot with lately are single use mana burst effects (not sure what to call them - ritual effects I guess). Lake of the Dead is a really powerful card and is what started me down this path. If you have the card draw (say with Necro), you can just sacrifice lands left and right and be working with 5 mana from T2 forward. Super risky of course (folds to Wasteland, but toss in a Dark Ritual and you empty your entire hand by T3. There are cards in other colors that do this too. Orcish Lumberjack does the same sort of thing. T2 Ogre. T3 seething song, , spell, dude, empty the warrens is about the fastest lethal swing outside a powered cube. This is all interesting to me because it's creating overlap with storm/turboland strategies. YMMV. I get that your lists are operating on a very different design.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This is one of those times where the composition of the cube dictates whether a card is playable at all. I love when a format doesn't force every 4+ mana creature to have an immediate effect. There are tons of interesting creatures that don't get played because they don't provide instant value, and that's a real shame. A cube that curates its removal, upping the average mana cost of an answer, reducing the density of removal options a bit, and putting a greater portion of the removal at sorcery speed, can really give cards like Ogre Battledriver more breathing room. WotC did this in recent sets, downgrading Murder to Flesh to Dust, for example. I'm not advocating quite that level of mediocrity, after all, our creatures are going to be a bit better than the average Origins creature, but there is certainly merit to this approach. Replacing your Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exiles with Sunlance and Cast Out, your Murder with Never // Return, your Lightning Bolt with Destructive Flow and your Vapor Snag with Repeal can open up a lot of creature options for your cube!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Lowering the power of removal is one way. Another is to give ways to get 4 drops in play before T4. But that's more combo list versus midrange.
To an extent. Having your t4 Ogre Battledriver answered with a Swords to Plowshares is mana disadvantage. Deploying that Battledriver earlier with the help of mana accelerants like Seething Song of Orcish Lumberjack and having it answered with the same StP turns your big mana disadvantage into small mana disadvantage plus card disadvantage. That's not a good trade (well it is for your opponent). If the Battledriver goes unanswered however, that's huge. Make them have it as they say.