General Fight Club

If you ask me it comes down to: Are you looking for a sacrifice outlet or a reward for sacrificing?

They do not occupy the same function in an Aristocrats deck.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Every time I've played with Meren it kind of makes me feel bad because it's so oppressive if it sticks. I don't think it's a card that creates good games of Magic.

Yeah. I don't think Meren would ever see print in a mainline Magic set. She's just too pushed and I think she's only balanced in the context of commander. It took me literally one draft with her in to see how oppressive and unfun she was and pulled her immediately.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Easy Cackler. That 2/2 body for 1 is pretty important for aggro decks I think. I don't think Footlight Fiend adds much to be honest.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
We've had moncolored versions of fiend for years, but 2/1s always seem to make it in.

It's got relevant text, but footlight fiend isnt really that great (in retail it's fine. Kinda like a bad dead weight on the blocks that might deal 2 damage to them instead. Dead weight was just so good in the last draft format people are probably overcompensating)

Cackler is stronger, but I'll cube the fiend as my rakdos hybrid, because it Hoes into more (nonaggro) decks.

Hybrids looked so much better in the previous frame though.

VS
These cards share a similar role in the +1/+1 counters deck- giving trample to the team. Captain comes down earlier but is slower to function on it's own. Guardian comes down later but has a more respectable body and can be used more aggressively. Thoughts?

I think I like Guardian better since it has a better base case scenario of a relevant body. They both function as your final payoff/anthem guys, but the 2/3 body on Captain is very lacking and I don't think you really want to take a turn off for Outlast if your goal is to go wide and then tall with +1/+1 counters. Ideally, you're going to be curving dudes with counters and going for a big swing with multiple bodies in a turn. For Guardian, you can also grow it to 7/7 Trampler as soon as you untap which seems respectable on its own. I also like the idea of a topdecking a base 5/5 for 5 that can grow into an actual threat on board if you're behind or trying to clean up. I also think it'll be easier to find 3s to supplement that archetype versus 5+ cmc cards that aren't embarrassing to play.

My vote is for trollbred because it's the only card of the three that really fits well in a deck that doesn't care about +1/+1 counters, by virtue of just being a big body that can turn even bigger (at instant speed!). Tuskguard is a bit slow and Crowned Ceratok doesn't enable itself.

I think I like Guardian better since it has a better base case scenario of a relevant body. They both function as your final payoff/anthem guys, but the 2/3 body on Captain is very lacking and I don't think you really want to take a turn off for Outlast if your goal is to go wide and then tall with +1/+1 counters. Ideally, you're going to be curving dudes with counters and going for a big swing with multiple bodies in a turn. For Guardian, you can also grow it to 7/7 Trampler as soon as you untap which seems respectable on its own. I also like the idea of a topdecking a base 5/5 for 5 that can grow into an actual threat on board if you're behind or trying to clean up. I also think it'll be easier to find 3s to supplement that archetype versus 5+ cmc cards that aren't embarrassing to play.

That's what I was thinking as well. I hadn't seen Trollbred discussed anywhere so I didn't know if there was something about it I was missing. I think it's just a better card regardless of archetype support.
There's also this guy, if you're looking for a middle ground!

I could see it, although I don't think it is as good as most of the other green 4s.

Thanks guys!

Yeah my bad. I literally just read that rule last week and must have misread or or something because I was sure they didn’t cancel each other out. But I went back and checked and I’m clearly wrong. I stand corrected

Yeah my bad. I literally just read that rule last week and must have misread or or something because I was sure they didn’t cancel each other out. But I went back and checked and I’m clearly wrong. I stand corrected
If I remember it right this was a rules change that happened a little while ago.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If I remember it right this was a rules change that happened a little while ago.

Weeeeeeell...

https://www.yawgatog.com/resources/rules-changes/csp-tsp/
https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Time_Spiral

The rule (then 420.5n) that +1/+1 amd -1/-1 counters cancel each other out was introduced in Time Spiral. That's October 2006 folks, the rule has only been around for a little over 12 years ;)

I freely admit that I didn't anticipate having to dig that far into the past :D

When you wanna clear the board and/or close out games, which do you prefer:

VS.

Please don't rate only raw power but also which one is more fun in your opinion. I for one like, that Ryusei swipes on death and not etb, but I dislike that he's missing fliers for some reason.

Ryusei seems more fun if you ask me. The card has two big impacts on the game: The 5/5 flying dude and the board wipe. The second impact is just a little more interesting if both players can fight over the effect. “Do I hold back my creature spells in hand?” “Do I Doom Blade it now or wait for an opportune moment?” etc. This mini-game is not possible with an ETB effect.

Also the fact that it leaves out flying creatures like Earthquake and variants is also rewards deck construction skills.

Thanks, you strengthened my tendencies.

Is this correct english? :D

Assuming this is a real question and I'm not just wooshing. It's close, you're on the right track. It should be more like "confirmed your suspicions"; he's said something in line with what you were thinking in the first place.