General Fight Club

Winnower, easy. It's the only one of these that's anywhere close to the power level of Dream Eater, and it also has by far the weirdest condition, which I consider a plus.

Thank you very much, I think I'll go with the Winnower and the Rebel for the time being.

I don't like the new hydra. As much as I'd like to have this effect in mono green, I think it will be Ravager Wurm - or maybe a card that I overlooked somehow: Gruul Ragebeast.

I think both of those effects are super dependent on what can be done with the cards in red and green. Is there enough ramp, defensive creatures and big cmc targets to cheat into play? Is there also other ways to cheat big creatures into play? If both of those questions are answered yes, then I think Killer Instinct just because the effect is free.

Gotcha that makes sense, I've been on the fence for ramp (this is for an in-progress cube) but I don't think there's much else I want for green than more aggressively statted creatures. I have other cheats but this is the only one that has a possibility of being reusable, (and yes there will be defensive creatures and fatties) so yeah killer instinct sounds like the best

blah blah blah

I didn't like any of Winnower, Banshee, or Rebel. They all were an FTK, with Winnower occasionally disabled by an X/X. Really disliked every time I saw any of those get played. You could try Hatchling, although it looks maybe a bit weak. I also hated Gearhulk, but could see Overseer costing enough that the effect is warranted, although the trigger scares me a little.

Personally love Allosaurus. 5/5 for 4 is totally reasonable and the fight is a nice boost. But it's not a fight on a stick, it's a 5/5 for 4 with a maybe fight. Hydra looks like a sweet little modular card, for sure. Ravager Wurm really appeals to me, but it might have to do with the art and the multitude of choices more so than it being worth it. Depends on your gruul section, but seems very reasonable to me. He can also haste on the riot to smash a walker as a pseudo fight sometimes. Foe-Razer looks one tier down from Wurm, so take your pick for your power.

Keep in mind my cube is low enough power level that this type of effect would be pretty decent.
Instinct appeals to me more because the trigger is free. I feel like that deck probably wants to slam a larger thing rather than pay a lot of times. If you're a massive ramp deck, maybe multiple Raid activations is better.

It depends on what archetypes you support.

In a vacuum, I'd use Spellgorger Weird since it triggers off many spells and can work well in any deck no too heavy on creatures. Guttersnipe signals a spells-matters theme and works well in burn. Runaway Steam-Kin is a good payoff for being mono-red (or nearly) and should probably be run with at least one more mono-red payoff.

Reactions: dbs

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Disagree with TrainmasterGT there, all three have what it takes to be good enough in your cube, I think. Japahn's evaluation is on point. Since you are running a staples cube, I'ld rank Guttersnipe first, then Weird, then Steam-Kin, just because Guttersnipe is such an iconic flag post for the spells matter deck.

I also don't see how Spellgorger Weird should just be discounted right off. If you have powerful spells to cast, to me it seems like Weird would do some good work. It's just 2 non-creature spells away from being above-curve, is that really so bad?

I didn't like any of Winnower, Banshee, or Rebel. They all were an FTK, with Winnower occasionally disabled by an X/X. Really disliked every time I saw any of those get played. You could try Hatchling, although it looks maybe a bit weak. I also hated Gearhulk, but could see Overseer costing enough that the effect is warranted, although the trigger scares me a little.

Personally love Allosaurus. 5/5 for 4 is totally reasonable and the fight is a nice boost. But it's not a fight on a stick, it's a 5/5 for 4 with a maybe fight. Hydra looks like a sweet little modular card, for sure. Ravager Wurm really appeals to me, but it might have to do with the art and the multitude of choices more so than it being worth it. Depends on your gruul section, but seems very reasonable to me. He can also haste on the riot to smash a walker as a pseudo fight sometimes. Foe-Razer looks one tier down from Wurm, so take your pick for your power.

You didn't like Banshee but think Hatchling could be a bit weak? I'd say they do compare really well in powerlevel concerns. Anyway, I like the art on both, so I'll just put those two into my cube and see. :)

I like your reasoning on Allosaurus. Ravager Wurm is a multicolour card and I like my multicolour cards to be a bit(!) stronger, so I can see myself running the Wurm and either Foe-Razer or Allosaurus, so it's more a Foe-Razer vs. Allosaurus fight.

I'm also not sure if Warfire Javelineer could coexist besides Goblin Dark-Dwellers. I just LOVE Goblin Dark-Dwellers as it has a real restriction that Torrential Gearhulk, Snapcaster Mage and Jace, Vryn's Prodigy all lack (which makes them too powerful imho). The problem with Dwellers is that it also brings a big body and I'm thinking about cutting it just for that simple reason.

Toning down the powerlevel sometimes sucks, but it does feel necessary and even exciting on the other hand.

Disagree with TrainmasterGT there, all three have what it takes to be good enough in your cube, I think. Japahn's evaluation is on point. Since you are running a staples cube, I'ld rank Guttersnipe first, then Weird, then Steam-Kin, just because Guttersnipe is such an iconic flag post for the spells matter deck.
I must admit the idea of a "staple cube" was abandoned long ago haha. My initial idea of a cube representing old extended was just plain worse than a more typical build mixing old spells and modern creatures.

It seems to me that Artifacts as a theme needs smaller, more generally useful cards, with 4 mana permanents being a "luxury" of sorts. That is, these cards won't help Artifacts be more viable, they'll just be a good pick if you are already into that deck.

Of the two, I like The Antiquities War a lot more. I think Sagas are some of the best cards designs of the most recent blocks and it helps you actually find the artifacts you need so it works without a critical mass of them.

I think War is much more powerful than Spy Network. Let's you dig into pieces to increase your artifact count, then two turns later you can turn them all into 5/5 bodies to close the game out. The issue I've seen with Artifact decks in general is the ability to close out the game once they've set up the engine and War is kind of like a do-it-all in an easily splashable package.

vs

I need help on picking a blue enchantment for my artifact subtheme. I'm also running Whirler Rogue and Sharding Sphinx.

I had to choose this too, and it really comes down to whether you want artifact CARDS or artifacts on the BATTLEFIELD to matter. I run the spy network because I have a lot of cards that make incidental artifact tokens that aren't artifacts themselves, and it feels bad to have Antiquities War whiff when you see Whirler Rogue or Blade Splicer in the cards you look at, because those are supposed to be artifact-matters cards. If you're running a cube that's more trinkety that requires artifacts in other zones and a higher overall artifact density per deck, the War is a splashier and more fun card IMO.

I do run a lot of incidental artifact token makers, but also a bunch of artifacts, so I might start off with The Antiqiues War and then see how it feels. If people don't end up with that many actual artifacts in their artifacts decks, I might switch over to Spy Network.

Thanks yall!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I switched from Thopter Sky Network to The Antiquities War because Network was drawing cards a little too reliably. I also like that, if you draft correctly, War kills a lot quicker as well, if you draft your deck around it, which is a plus in my book (as in, it ups the stakes during gameplay). I like the swap, but there's always moments that I longingly look at the Network in my binder, because it is a sweet card.

Yeah I think I like the War much better. A draw spell that specializes itself for that deck and gives the killing blow is awesome. And it digs quite a bit deeper than the network, which us much more helpful for artifact decks looking for certain pieces.

I've always wanted to play a Recycle deck but it's true that it has a few too many safety valves to be great. Cube, however, has a lower power level and more clear synergies like Crucible of Worlds. Beast Whisperer is expensive and won't produce the same dramatic effect but it's fun in the Standard superramp deck I'm playing.

Thoughts?