General Fight Club

I wouldn’t be too unhappy trading 21 to 1 if I’d ever be in a situation where my opponent gave his 15 creatures reach after sacrificing 6 permanents.

If my opponent ends up winning the game afterwards I would stand up and applaud him.

I think Reconnaissance Mission is stronger. If you start hitting with some tokens or fliers it snowballs, and when it looks like you can't, you cycle it away. Tandem Lookout might be best in specific environments, like if there aren't many tokens, or if your blue aggro deck can keep the board clear of defenders so it can get in as well AND removal does not deal easily with /1s.

I run Ongoing Investigation in that role, because it doesn't snowball quickly like Reconnaissance Mission does (or Bident of Thassa, which is the card I actually tested) since it's capped at 1 Clue per attack and requires paying 2 mana, so you have to choose between snowballing CA vs board position. With that spirit, I'd test Tandem Lookout rather than Reconnaissance Mission, though it might not be good enough.

I think I'll give the guy sitting in a tree a chance first. Being snowbally is a downside for me indeed, but I don't have the simic spot for Investigation.

These cards aren't really comparable other than being black 5 drops. Gravebreaker Lamia is a little better on average since it "tutors" for something when it enters the battlefield. Bone Miser is a cooler engine, but there is a really high chance that it dies before getting to do anything. I think the "correct" choice really depends on what deck needs the additional support, and wether or not a fragile engine piece is able to beat out immediate value.

I am strongly looking into Gravebreaker Lamia for my cube as a "fixed" final parting with bonus flashback synergy. Particularly awesome with Retrace!

The Miser looks cool, but probably comes down too late to be able to properly fuel it.

Agreed that the Lamia is likely better at actually doing things, despite it being a weaker card overall. The last line of text can also do work in UB or RB, maybe even GB.

That's a good point. Let me rephrase that to "Bone Miser has a much higher ceiling than the Lamia, with a somewhat lower floor." Lifelink is good, but a 4/4 for 5 without an ability that helps it win in combat is behind the curve for most cubes I've seen, at least in terms of attacking. The lifelink is very helpful on defense, though, so if you need a more defensive enabler, Lamia may be your choice.

However, Lamia is held back by restricting her graveyard ability to a one-time deal that has diminishing returns. Tutoring a card to the graveyard is much narrower than gaining free extra value every time you discard. How many cards are you going to have that you actually want to stick in your GY? Genesis? Hogaak? A reanimation target? You have a good chance of having drawn them already by this point, and if you've already hit an entomb effect you've already grabbed your best target. So, diminishing returns, whereas the Miser has increasing returns.

Besides, i just want to live the dream of Bone Miser!

In a proper GY deck, a good fraction of the deck will be targets for sending to the grave, whether it's flashback spells, reanimation targets, reanimation spells themselves, powerful self-recursive creatures, possibly a target for spell recursion or just fuel for other cool cards. And a card like Genesis is an awesome tutor! That's unlocking a regrowth effect available turn after turn. That's a solid play.

Her second ability also gains value over time as there are more spells available to cast from the grave, so that largely offsets the diminishing number of library targets as the game goes on.

Here's a sample deck from my previous cube that has 7 directly important cards to put in the grave, and Sidisi + Gisa&Geralf extend that to "any creature card", and Crucible + Gitrog adds "also land cards", and noxious revival + seasons past add "actually any card in a pinch". Conversely, there are only three cards in the deck that allow you to discard, and they are liable to be used before T5.

Maybe in a vacuum the Miser has a higher ceiling, but in a GY-themed cube I think the Lamia does a better job actually meshing with the decks in the environment, therefore making it better. Miser tends to poorly align with the decks that are actually discarding a lot of cards in cube, which usually comes down to some sort of RB madness type of deck and the UR spells deck. Both are typically fast decks, having most of their gameplan in place before T5 even hits, and therefor few cards left in hand with which to actually gain value off the miser. If you have a cycling theme or a cube without any real focus on the GY I can see Miser's stock going up.

The Miser is a real build around. It specifically needs as deck with lots of discard outlets, similar to drake haven. A few of those cards make a cube more interesting, but beware to add too many as they're really narrow. The Lamia works with all kinds of abilities, like literally all kinds of recursion (Haunted Crossroads turns it into worldly tutor for example). If I had any lifegain or life pay synergies, I would also play it just for the huge lifelink body.

So, I'd like 96% of my cube cards to be more like the Lamia, but a few bone misers here and there are a good thing.

If splashablity is a desired trait, the lighthouse is more splashable than the Frostpyre, at least into blue. What decks are you hoping to see use these or splash for these? Both have decent effects, but they are quite different in nature from each other. The frostpyre, for instance, is not going to synergize with the young pyromancers of the world at all.

If splashablity is a desired trait, the lighthouse is more splashable than the Frostpyre, at least into blue. What decks are you hoping to see use these or splash for these? Both have decent effects, but they are quite different in nature from each other. The frostpyre, for instance, is not going to synergize with the young pyromancers of the world at all.

I guess I meant it in terms of "raw power" or something to that effect. Looting cards seems more generally useful to me than a pyroclasm?

I would probably agree that looting is more broadly useful. If you have a situation where the pyroclasm is extra useful however, frostpyre does have quite the powerful effect. An easy example is if there is a token deck in the cube that a slower URx archetype has to face off against.

I could see myself splashing for Lighthouse. I would never dream of splashing for Frostpyre. These two cards are on two different power levels. Both go into the slower control decks.