General Fight Club

I run Exile, it's such a good removal for control. Pariah seems pretty narrow.

The former seems to be the better control finisher while the latter is good in other decktypes, too.
I guess I'll run Myth Realized and add Epochrasite as another, less narrow finisher.

Personally, I like instant speed a lot.

But here's my analysis:
Runious Path feels a lot like Shriekmaw, only different other cards care about each. Pod/Creature recycle cares about 'maw, where spell-based decks (think Snap, YPeezy) care more about Path.

Comparing the two bodies, Ruinous Path gives you an extra power but no evasion at the risk of opening your land to removal (which isn't shouldn't be a concern if you're paying 7 for it). If I'm playing this slot for the creature (4/4 land for 5BB vs 3/2 Fear for 4B) specifically, I want Shriekmaw.

BUT, the other thing to consider is how many and which Planeswalkers you have in your environment? Do you value being able to remove them in black? Do you need to remove them? I see you (Eric specifically) only have 6:

Only Ajani sticks out to me as being able to protect himself well against creatures (vigilance is super strong with PW).

Do you value being able to kill these walkers over being able to deal with huge haste threats like Thundermaw, Hellrider or Conscripts?

So in summary, you've got three options (I know you only posted two and I shoved a third one in... deal with it):

and depending on exactly what you want out of this piece of removal, should decide your choice.

I run Shriekmaw as a cooler Terror and Path because I like the sorcery speed way more for such a removal. Hero's Downfall seems so strong in a cube that's not running Oblivion Ring for being too versatile while being easy to splash. I run Detention Sphere, though.

Laz

Developer

Predator all the way. Not for any decent mechanical way, I just have an intense dislike of Devoid, it feels so clumsy and flavorless (devoid of flavor?).

I suppose mechanically both are similar, and it depends on what you are looking for from your go-wide strategies, specifically, whether the one point of power is meaningful. If your go-wide strategies are based around 'whenever a creature deals combat damage to a player...' triggers, then the Eyeless Watcher is vastly superior, while if your strategies are looking for sacrifice fodder, death triggers, mass pump effects or triggers like Hellrider; the points of power are a little less meaningful. I feel the latter are probably more common, and a 3/3 body more meaningful, so I would favor the Predator.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, but only because I don't like any of the black walkers (Liliana of the Veil was too strong), and all of the green walkers produce tokens and clog up the board while encouraging goodstuff midrange. Gonna try the new Nissa, though.

Ob has been pretty great thus far. He is the blackest walker ever as far as his two abilities are concerned and he fulfills the role of a control finisher/stabilizer very nicely. On first glance he just looks boring (I held off on adding him for a while), but I've loved playing with him thus far. And he's just freaking cool.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, but only because I don't like any of the black walkers (Liliana of the Veil was too strong), and all of the green walkers produce tokens and clog up the board while encouraging goodstuff midrange. Gonna try the new Nissa, though.

Uhhhh... Is there another new Nissa that I am not aware of?... This statement seems very contradictory.

On Ob Nixilis Reignited. Card is pretty sweet. Probably the second best black planeswalker.

New Nissa seems like a real clog-stopper if I ever seen one.
I find garruk wildspeaker garruk 6 and Nissa forest untapped are all pretty good walkers that aren't cram-jammerz.

Midranged green decks that try to win games with super tedious attrition tricks like making a small body each turn are admittantly a headache to play against but shouldn't be hard to deal with unless you are both said snoozy green decks, incapable of reliably interacting with opponents plans or tutoring for a specific answer, doomed to endlessly replay that same masked admirer or make another wolf token until your deck smiles upon you and you change the board state with your six drop or draw spell. But one would hope interaction is effective and plentiful enough in your environment and top end spells sufficiently powerful to be able to advantageously get through a hordling outburst worth of bodies.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I see Nissa, Voice of Zendikar primarily as an aggro tool - a worse Curse of Predation, which has been slightly too good around these parts. Perhaps there will be decks that play her primarily to make 0/1 plant tokens, but in the context of cube, that might take some effort to make worthwhile. Like, in decks without many creatures, I'm not too worried about her plopping out a 1/2 plant token every other turn, if she alternates between plus and minus abilities; that's a far cry from, say, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. On the other hand, if you already have a developed board, she can act like a Curse of Predation every other turn, which seems decent enough.

I have no beef with Ob Nixilis Reignited, other than that he seems boring. Currently my tools to help black control are things like Profane Command and Wretched Confluence, but if those don't work out, I suppose I could give him a shot.