General Fight Club

I've had no issues with Goliath in the past, but think I like the Krushok a fair bit more. Mostly for giving green more instant speed interactions, but also for being single pip on the creature side, more opportunities for use along the mana curve, and two instead of one opportunity to put down some number of +1/+1 counters.

Which of these purple {2}{B} creatures, which pay you off for having your things die and have names starting with "Liliana's" is better/more fun?

So, I'm working on re-imagining my "pirate cube" (where Revel in Riches' effects are always in play), and I'm stuck between the following Green 4-drops:

vs.

The basic question is whether or not winning off of 5 treasures (by casting Second Harvest on villain's end step) is sweet or toxic...
Sweet if the player had to pick the Revel in Riches, draw both cards and cast both cards.

Toxic if Revel starts on the battlefield.

Which of these purple {2}{B} creatures, which pay you off for having your things die and have names starting with "Liliana's" is better/more fun?

I don't really like either as both rely on holding mana open. If I had to choose one I'd go with the devotee as it has a useful passive effect (if zombies are a thing).

I don't really like either as both rely on holding mana open. If I had to choose one I'd go with the devotee as it has a useful passive effect (if zombies are a thing).
The Devotee is more consistent. I don't like that the Bearer has 1 toughness and will sometimes just die without a relevant ETB opportunity and other times it will draw a bunch.

But doesn't the Bearer add more agency and potentially excitement? Players would feel clever when they set up the perfect scenario or use this as a great answer against an opposing wrath. The devotee just sits there and if you don't have anything better to do you can play a 2-mana zombie eot. Also zombie tribal isn't a thing in my cube, I'm just looking for a sac/tokens payoff. But maybe the Bearer is just too inconsistent?

On paper, Bearer is great and all those things. I couldn't get it to work, though. It was usually just a 3/1 flash. That was with a much faster list though, so in grindy lists like yours it might be all that.

I had a hard time getting the Standard Bearer to work in regular M21 draft, but the Devotee was always good value there. So while I don't think we can draw a perfect line between my and Japahn's data points, I'd err on the side of the Devotee.

But doesn't the Bearer add more agency and potentially excitement? Players would feel clever when they set up the perfect scenario or use this as a great answer against an opposing wrath. The devotee just sits there and if you don't have anything better to do you can play a 2-mana zombie eot. Also zombie tribal isn't a thing in my cube, I'm just looking for a sac/tokens payoff. But maybe the Bearer is just too inconsistent?
i think it’s false agency. it’s not so much that you’re going to set up a perfect scenario for it as you’re just going to wait until a couple things die and finally “be able to play it.”
you’re more dependent on what your opponent does for it to be good than on some perfect trap you might try to set up.

Hm, yeah that sounds about right. I might have enough room to still try it at some point, as I can't help but get a little excited by that card (I love drawing cards in all colors), but I will keep that in mind to not fall for it's agency trap.

i’m almost exactly where Sigh is at, in fact, i even cut Branchwalker for a custom and only run Wall of Blossoms now as a “draw a card for 2 mana green critter”

I don’t run Wall of Blossoms. It’s not longer in green’s color pie and it is a little too efficient against aggro in my opinion.

I also do not run Elvish Visionary because I do not run a blink theme and it doesn’t do anything good for aggro. However it might actually be a fair blocker if you’re a green control deck. I will never be excited to put this into my deck.

It's not? Overgrown Arch is a very recent example of a 0/4 defender in green (with a card selection twist), and Owlbear is just the most recent cantripping creature in green. Do you have any source for Wall of Blossoms not being in pie anymore?
Oh. You’re right and I am wrong. I don’t know what I was thinking. I think green wasn’t good at drawing cards that wasn’t based around the power or amount of creatures back in Zendikar block when Wall of Omens came out and my mind has been stuck with that information ever since. It certainly seems like green draws cards when creatures enter the battlefield these days :)

My bad!

Obviously these don't fill the exact same role, but I'm struggling with this slot right now. Madcap skills offers quite a bit more "punch" but is a lot more fragile and can't be searched up via Stoneforge. Boots gives a paltry stats bonus, but an equipment as a repeatable source of haste-granting is attractive.... hmm. Open to thoughts on other things the slot might be even better used for.

I have a RW power-boost theme (double strike, etc), recursive aggro in all the Mardu combos, and RG can be beatdown-y but is less-so focused on that.

i think boots of speed is going to play a lot better, auras always suck for someone. tormentor’s helm is another option in the same color/cost that comes to mind
EDIT: i have to say it feels pretty wild to be fetching either of these with SFM lol