General Fight Club

I run both to support artifact decks, but agree with Daretti being better.
Related to this, what big artifact do people like to cheat out that are not oppressive and allow interaction?

not an apples-to-apples comparison, but in the context of Historic Artisan, which do you feel is…
more/less important as a core effect?
easier/harder to replace with a close substitute?
cooler?
more/less powerful?

Agonizing Remorse is definitely more powerful, but it's an effect that's been popular for a long time. Village Rites, on the other hand, is a novel effect, so it's part of what defines Historic to me. My scorecard looks like so:

Core effect? Agonizing Remorse is probably more "important" to making classic decks tick whereas Village Rites makes Historic Artisan decks go.

Easier to replace? Village Rites, as Deadly Dispute is arguably both better and more interesting. The Historic alternatives to Agonizing Remorse are Duress and compatriots, which are just bleh unless you're playing a very combo-heavy environment.

Cooler? Village Rites was new and made certain types of decks function in a vastly different way, which is pretty cool in my book.

More powerful? Probably Agonizing Remorse, but I think Village Rites is more important in the decks that want it whereas Remorse is more of a catch-all card.

White doesn't get much draining effects, but these guys have it. Which card is stronger? Which has cooler play patterns? (If it would be a battle just for cooler look, the phyrexian lady would easily win here. However, I like the Syndics simplicity.)

White doesn't get much draining effects, but these guys have it. Which card is stronger? Which has cooler play patterns? (If it would be a battle just for cooler look, the phyrexian lady would easily win here. However, I like the Syndics simplicity.)

Syndic of Tithes is likely a little better and a little more interesting because you have control over both the life gain and the life gain. Suture Priest can drain or gain a wildly variable amount depending upon what kind of deck it is in and what kind of deck the opponent is playing. Syndic of Tithes is a lot more consistent in what it does because you can almost always play to set up a maximum number of extortions. Syndic also is a 2/2, which makes it a more relevant body in combat.

For these reasons, I believe Syndic of Tithes is the preferable card.

Speaking of artifacts, is anyone else testing Catapult Turtle? I like Hulk, but it's kind of rough and this is cheaper (could realistically be played for 4 in artifact-heavy decks), monocolored, and better when you can play it. How much does the cycling factor into Hulk being even marginally playable? I think Hulk might be the better card overall because of it, but just can't tell because the ward adds so much resilience in a totally different direction.

Speaking of artifacts, is anyone else testing Catapult Turtle?
Definitely testing him in the artifact cube.

Never liked Glasshulk and abandoned it a while back. Just never did anything and got overlooked in every draft. That might be changing now that we have such a density of type crossover with all these colored artifact creatures & equipment creatures and artifact tokens flying around in the last 12 months...

I should clarify--I like the concept of Glassdust Hulk, but it's always pretty crappy in practice. Definitely a good candidate for my (eventual) Almost-Ran Personal Alchemy Cube.

Cannoneer is much better, even with cycling on Husk, IMO. It puts +1 counters on instead of a temp +1! That's a crazy difference for a card that starts bigger and is much harder to remove while also potentially being cheaper.

Speaking of artifacts, is anyone else testing Catapult Turtle? I like Hulk, but it's kind of rough and this is cheaper (could realistically be played for 4 in artifact-heavy decks), monocolored, and better when you can play it. How much does the cycling factor into Hulk being even marginally playable? I think Hulk might be the better card overall because of it, but just can't tell because the ward adds so much resilience in a totally different direction.
Definitely prefer the turtle. I agree with @LadyMapi that the hulk always felt a little too spendy. Having ward 4 is kind of huge for this type of creature

I didn’t see this spoil, so now I’m thinking about how it fits in my cube!

Edit: wow, it gets a counter for each artifact that enters the battlefield? That is really strong, and has one-shot potential

Last edited:
I'm also considering it to bolster blues place in artifacts a bit, because it is a payoff from boardstates before and after it's cast. Best of both worlds! (In general I'm a fan of cards that are a payoff to things that either have already happened throughout a game, or that don't care when they happen).

It's also non-embarrassing to reanimate with Daretti and friends, and plays well with cards that loop artifacts like that anyways. Great card.

Last edited:

Totally overlooked Canoneer during the tail end of commander card spoilers, this one is pretty awesome and I'll be adding it in. That Ward 4 is basically hexproof ala Iymrith, Desert Doom and I feel like if you can get this out T4 by tapping some other bodies that's a pretty big game. Being an artifact itself is great for any extra fair Welder or Daretti activations, and most of all it's a real clock with any future artifact ETBs. The main issue I've seen from U/R Artifact decks is taking time to assemble your engine before you can close out the game but this is one of the few very proactive cards I've seen in a while. That's really what the arhetype had been lacking for a long time until recent years where there were more threats that weren't as durdly.

Getting in for an unblockable 5+ damage with each artifact ETB makes it a very real clock. Thought Monitor to draw some cards and refuel + an additional attacker in the air, an ETB body that makes thopters ala Breya's Apprentice or Whirler Rogue, or just a normal land drop off a Seat of the Synod and you're cooking with gas. You can do some neat sequencing in the late game to squeeze out some more extra damage since this triggers on any artifact ETB including tokens like Treasures or Clues. Real clean design, I'm definitely a fan of this card.

On the flipside I've never cared much for the Hulk. It's a bit too clunky and weak, weird colors as well for artifact stuff with most of it centered in U/R nowadays. It just doesn't quite get there unless you're in a very specific low powered environment.

Last edited:
Kappa is definitely stronger. Also, I think the Hulk sits in a weird spot. It's a gold build around signpost kind of card, but those usally are very for your game plan and you'd rather wait with them on your hand instead of cycling them most of the time. Of course it's still pure upside and a good one, but it would be better on a piece of interaction or some situational card.

Windbrisk Heights is great. Swinging with three creatures isn’t that difficult, and sometimes you swing when you wouldn’t normally attack to net the hideaway card. My favorite part is that you can rebuy it with:

And can be tutored out:

It’s a lot of fun and promotes proactive gameplay. Just a delightful card imo