General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's a different card. Mind Spring can't attack, and is, honestly, quite an awful card. I'ld cube numerous fixed size draws spells before it. While you can argue Aeon Chronicler is an expensive Mind Spring, I think its main use case is suspend for X = 1, so you draw a card on your upkeep, and can attack with a fattie with counterspell backup. For it to be succesful, you need an environment where that is a viable line of play, e.g. a format with weak aggro and plenty of cantrips to naturally keep up your hand size.

And even then, there being a better version shouldn't keep you from cubing a card that you love. If there is one format where an (theoretically) outclassed card can still shine, it is cube. Just make sure your cube is the right one!

I mean, dude, I am cubing Jungle Lion.

I remember when I was younger Aeon Chronicler was a great card that was also played in powermax cubes, and I wanted to include it in my cube that's a bit nostalgic and has some synergies based on suspend and storm (not the kind of "one-shot tendrils" storm, more the kind of "3 spells in a turn + 8 goblins with etw" storm). The power level of my cube isn't high so I thought it would be a nice addition. One of my friend just told me that the card sucks and it's just a "bad Mind Spring". I never thought of it that way but now I'm reconsidering and maybe I should just add Mind Spring, or even Ancestral Vision. What are your opinions on the Chronicler?
I don't think Mind Spring is quite accurate, though it isn't nearly as strong as it was previously. You'd pretty much need it to be in a TSR-lite environment to feel like a strong card. The more toned down your power level the better this will be. If a 5/5 for 5 that can get a little bigger can rumble in your environment then I think it'll be just fine.

Aeon Chronicler is far, far cooler than Mind Spring and much better. The thing is that Aeon Chronicler is, de facto, a slighty undercosted creature that is easy to protect and also draws you cards.

Thank you! Yeah my power level isn't too high :) I'll surely try it, also because it's a personal favourite ;)

And in my next draft the goal will be beat my friend with Aeon Chronicler just to prove it's good lol

Which black dredge creature do you guys think is the most "generally" useful one? By that I mean, which one would you be the most happy with in a deck that has maybe one flashback card and one or two recursion effects, but isn't doing the all-in selfmill thing?

I like the Imp because it’s actually a good control card in slower formats. Flying + effectively deathtouch trades very well and you can then recur it trade again maybe milling a flashback card for extra value.

It also mills the most out of the three.

I much prefer Fleecemane Lion because Monstrosity just reads much cleaner and I like the idea of a one time payment more than leaving mana up to make use of the Lion/Enchantment moving forward. A 4/4 Indestructible Hexproof isn't chump change, but it's not exactly unstoppable or game-ending with how big creatures get nowadays. Fleecemane also has superior art so that's a big plus.

I much prefer Fleecemane Lion because Monstrosity just reads much cleaner and I like the idea of a one time payment more than leaving mana up to make use of the Lion/Enchantment moving forward. A 4/4 Indestructible Hexproof isn't chump change, but it's not exactly unstoppable or game-ending with how big creatures get nowadays. Fleecemane also has superior art so that's a big plus.
I am concerned about the 4/4 indestructible hexproof, I know with modern creature stats it's not as threatening but it's kind of absurd if you put it with old school creature power level. I really don't see monstrosity as cleaner, it's a state change sort of marked by a counter but not really and that's a bit hard to parse if you don't have a shortcut for monstrosity in your head.

I like the flavor of Bronzehide better, it's more accurate with the story of the Nemean Lion and weirdly I don't think is less elegant despite the word count. It makes more sense, it dies then becomes a coat that gives the same ability - it's a lot of words for a simple concept. What I don't like about it is that you have to keep 2 mana up, and that reduces the efficacy of the ability drastically on defense and with Day of Judgment.

So I don't know, since people see Fleecemane Lion as too wordy I can see how other players would think the same. Maybe ravnic is right and I should just run Watchwolf!

Fleecemane looks scarier than it actually is.

It's basically a Watch Wolf that has two extra modes:

1) You can spend {3}{G}{W} after a turn cycle or two to upgrade it, giving villain plenty of chances to deal with it.
2) You can top-deck it as a 4/4 hexproof indestructible for {3}{G}{G}{W}{W}.

Even once it is upgraded... it's still just a dumb 4/4. It's big enough to be a clock (especially if you have ways to get it around blockers), but it's unlikely to take over the whole game.

ef4e1c37-d520-4025-bd56-15ec452f6842.jpg
8fdafadb-fa04-4282-b576-b85e79c242c9.jpg
I think Fleecemane Lion is a clear choice here because he has better hair.

I support Storm. thoughts?
The dream with rielle is a wheel for 7 and then you get 7 additional cards. Eruth does the same and more.
Rielle needs a card to go off, eruth is the card that makes you go off by making your draw one draw two. In most scenario’s erith is stronger, especially in storm (unless you need a beatstick and there are many instant/sorceries in your yard)

I support Storm. thoughts?

I think Rielle is much cooler. It synergizes with madness and spells whereas Eruth synergizes with being good.

Edge of Autumn is a much better design on every level, but is it the most useful card for the widest variety of decks?

Yes. If I want ramp in the first place, I'd almost always pick Edge over Explore I guess. Also helps with fixing by finding one of the two swamps for your splash

Explore does a lot more for the average green deck IMO. I've oft found Edge to arrive opposite of when I want it, or to have the correct play with it be awkward (saccing a land is often a big oof for ramp decks... that wanted more lands to begin with). Stopping at 4 lands feels one short of being "on average not an issue" and sacing a land feels like 0.5 lands too much.