General Fight Club

Zoss, can I try to sell you on Deftblade Elite? I loved this card in my Peasant Cube back in the day, and I think it's a really cool aggressive//weird removal creature that has interesting play patterns in a variety of strategies.
It also loves pump spells and equipment I think

So I want to add the shiny new Stormclaw Rager and now have to think about what to cut. These two are my options:

vs

Body Dropper:
- both a sacc outlet and payoff
- starts at 2/2 which is aesthetically pleasing
- potential menace means it is more likely to participate in combat.
BUT:
- can be a somewhat useless dorky dude
- not the most exciting/powerful multicolor card

Juri:
- grows off pretty much everything
- is pretty annoying to deal with
BUT:
- just kinda sits there and waits
- can end up being the c part of the a-b-c "combo"

So I want to add the shiny new Stormclaw Rager and now have to think about what to cut. These two are my options:

vs

Body Dropper:
- both a sacc outlet and payoff
- starts at 2/2 which is aesthetically pleasing
- potential menace means it is more likely to participate in combat.
BUT:
- can be a somewhat useless dorky dude
- not the most exciting/powerful multicolor card

Juri:
- grows off pretty much everything
- is pretty annoying to deal with
BUT:
- just kinda sits there and waits
- can end up being the c part of the a-b-c "combo"
I think Juri is better (with fetchlands) but I think dropper is more fun to play with.

I'd probably keep Juri. It's got more going on for it with a less restrictive trigger and FAR superior artwork. The only downside is that it can't fuel itself with a sacrifice ability so I guess YMMV depending on how much of that is available elsewhere in your environment.

body dropper was kinda good in its own retail environment?
juri seems so good as to be out of place, relatively speaking, if i'm looking at all three cards in the same pack. so maybe he is the cut if you wanna keep things flatter power wise

Imagine a green based ramp/landfall deck with ~7-8 ways to double trigger landfall in a turn and 2-3 Elf and/or Elemental creatures, which of these is the stronger card?

Is storing treasures (and the option for food) still better than maybe drawing a card or two in a game (which might just be a mana dork)?

I'm always a fan of open-ended cards, so the flexibility of the provisioner is going to be my vote. Nissa (edit: stupid autocorrect) is great if you're hunting for a particular elemental; I think the ideal use case is to use it to hunt for an Omnath variant or something of that ilk?

Last edited:
yeah i see nissa as a tutor more than a card drawer... but she also just gives you the lotus cobra thing up front which is nice.
i assume youre not on urzas saga which would otherwise be an argument for provis

Nissa is the more powerful card assuming you don't just draw dorks, but I would stick with Provisioner if saccable artifact tokens are even decently relevant in your cube.

Yet, actual Lotus Cobra is probably still better than Provisioner, because it costs only 66.6% as much :p

I am already certain that I wont cut Provisioner. It does so much. Works with artifacts, works with lifegain, works with wildfire etc. Not sure why it even came to me that it could be reasonable to cut it.

Imagine a green based ramp/landfall deck with ~7-8 ways to double trigger landfall in a turn and 2-3 Elf and/or Elemental creatures, which of these is the stronger card?

Is storing treasures (and the option for food) still better than maybe drawing a card or two in a game (which might just be a mana dork)?

Provisioner all day. Being able to store the mana for a bigger payoff later on is way more powerful than a more expensive Cobra. Cobra is at it's most powerful being a 2 drop that lets you curve into a 4 or 5 on T3 ahead of the curve. If you have the 5-6 drops to consistently do that with Nissa or can draw like 2+ cards then great, but otherwise I think the floor of Provisioner is just better.

Which one of these one-shot blink enablers do you like and why?

Others I do already run or have likely excluded for a reason.