General Fight Club

E. Domain:

I wish caryatid didn't have hexproof, but I still like it more than tinder wall. Also, from an earlier post, I would opt for nexus over angel. By the time you can cast angel, I suspect you won't have too much exciting stuff in your hand. Nexus however, is an absolute blast to play with. I ran it in my cube for a long time. Most people can't get too salty about a loosing to a 5c value engine.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I had a friend who tried to make Maelstrom Archangel work in Standard way back in the day. He would go to great lengths to get all five colours in time, land the angel, have it survive for a turn, then connect with the opponent in the red zone... and be all out of gas to cheat out.

I think it's a card that looks much better on paper than in practise, and I'm pretty sure it's both worse and less fun than either Chromanticore or Maelstrom Nexus.

I had a friend who tried to make Maelstrom Archangel work in Standard way back in the day. He would go to great lengths to get all five colours in time, land the angel, have it survive for a turn, then connect with the opponent in the red zone... and be all out of gas to cheat out.

I think it's a card that looks much better on paper than in practise, and I'm pretty sure it's both worse and less fun than either Chromanticore or Maelstrom Nexus.

I think this is a valid concern (effort to get to payoff), but I'd also like to point out how much more abusable it is in cube.
There's reanimator cards in black, creature tutors in green (Green Sun's Zenith, Bring to Light, and stuff like Traverse the Ulvenwald).. and of course, depending on your removal suite, it could very well dodge some high percentage of removal tools, depending on how your removal suite is balanced. I really like the idea of Fist of Suns, Maelstrom Angel, and Bring to Light as some kind of 5c cheaty deck, personally, and I've always wanted to pack these cards in (along with something like Bringer of the Black Dawn), but I've been too worried about degeneracy. That said, I think that it could be a really exciting and memorable package.

*gasp* The Bringers! *squeeeeeee* :3

Pentad Prism Bringers was the deck that brought me back to Magic. Those cards are so awesome! My personal favorite is the Blue Bringer :)

I feel most tempted by the Black Bringer, simply because it's an easy slot into a reanimator deck too as an acceptable target and theoretically could be hardcast in a go-big deck, too, but the Blue is probs the better of the lot for cube. It's actually probably a way better suggestion even with reanimator concerns, really

Troll, I still haven't had the time to finish reading Grim Flayer.

Lotleth Troll is good if you have discard synergies, but it's low power otherwise. Grim Flayer is generically good by itself, awesome in an aggro/graveyard deck, but has a sort of a messy execution. The choice will depend on the cube list, but I prefer Putrid Leech to either of them in terms of design.

Laz

Developer
I think it depends a lot on the context of your Blue and Black cards, and neither of them really shout finisher to me. Wydwen is a persistent threat, but takes up a lot of your mana to threaten a 7 turn clock. Dralnu blocks horribly and looks as though he needs at least two activations to generate decent value.

Is this at a power level where something like Kokusho, the Evening Star doesn't fit?

I'm not sure you can run enough protection for Dralnu, Lich Lord in cube. His drawback is so terrible and burn is simply too abundant in most lists. I tried him in my retro list and drafted him into a storm/control deck. And it was interesting? But the final list seemed suicidal to me. His ability is crazy good though if you can keep his drawback from being repeatable annihilator triggers on your board.

That's a pretty close race from my perspective. Probably the Marsh Flitter? More bodies > less bodies? Plays well with incidental gobbos too.

I've got a conundrum of my own for black cards, this one two drops. Looking for two out of:

The main reason being so that I can turn one of them into:
scrapheapscrounger.jpg