General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ravnic is from Germany, so it's an honest question :) You could also say something like "Thanks, that's what I thought." or "Thanks, that confirmed my suspicions."

Think Twice vs Chemister's Insight vs Deep Analysis

In a environment that has "classical decks" and also cares about graveyard, has entomb, gifts ungivens, self-mill/dredge, and runs the two usual blue delve drawers, frantic search, and potentially wilderness reclamation and precognitive perception.
Which of those cards you like the most (could be multiple), and in which decks you think they'll go ?? (I left Radical Idea out on purpose).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

In a environment that has "classical decks" and also cares about graveyard, has entomb, gifts ungivens, self-mill/dredge, and runs the two usual blue delve drawers, frantic search, and potentially wilderness reclamation and precognitive perception.
Which of those cards you like the most (could be multiple), and in which decks you think they'll go ?? (I left Radical Idea out on purpose).

Chemister's Insight if you have discard matters cards like Drake Haven, Deep Analysis if you don't.

Personally I prefer Think Twice to the other two, but I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. As Onderzeeboot mentions, Insight has nice discard synergies. Similarly Deep Analysis synergizes with self-mill.

My preference for Think Twice comes from a general preference for lower-cmc draw options.

Would you accept the answer: "as many as you have space for?" :)

I'd rank them: Deep Analysis > Think Twice > Chemister's Insight

but it's really close and all of them are great cards. When your blue decks are really counter spell heavy and/or you support some kind of drawgo/flash theme, Analysis might lose a few points against the others. It is, however, the only card of those 3 I do run. But I am also a sucker for old frames, so I always go with the card that's aviable in classic frame when I don't lose much by that :)

I'm thinking cost aside, Dig Through Time is better. Not only instant speed, but picking two of seven is probably better than three off the top. But I'm not sure if the fact that you can case Treasure Cruise for U sometimes and you have to always at least pay UU for Dig Through Time changes the valuation enough.

Reactions: dbs

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Again though, when I'm playing against the cards.

Scenario #1: They cast Treasure Cruise on their turn, exiling a bunch of cards.
I'm like: Sure, draw three cards. That's pretty good. Let's see what they are going to play.

Scenario #2: They cast Dig Through Time on my end step, exiling a bunch of cards.
I'm like: Oh shit, there's a good chance they found two really good cards, I'm screwed.

Cruise has never filled me with as much dread as Dig does. Like, it's fine to make a distinction between spell velocity and spell quality, but doesn't Cruise do both?

You are saying I should just run both Chris?

Maybe that is the right answer. In the past I have run both but I was thinking maybe I should tone down some of Blue's card draw. But maybe that isn't necessary given it is a 540 card cube such that these two cards still don't represent a high density of that effect.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel like delve is kinda all or nothing. The first treasure cruise a given drafter runs is practically a freeroll if you've got cantrips and fetchlands in your environment.

The second delve spell however, that takes some work.

Maybe that's the wrong way of approaching things, but if this sort of graveyard as a resource is the kind of thing you want, a single delve spell might just go to whoever opens it, rather than a dedicated graveyard drafter.

I feel like delve is kinda all or nothing. The first treasure cruise a given drafter runs is practically a freeroll if you've got cantrips and fetchlands in your environment.

The second delve spell however, that takes some work.

Maybe that's the wrong way of approaching things, but if this sort of graveyard as a resource is the kind of thing you want, a single delve spell might just go to whoever opens it, rather than a dedicated graveyard drafter.

Yes this is a good point. Good argument for having some type of density of delve effects.

on the flip side, running both just overpowers blue draw, because both of these spells are phenomenal. I'd only run one or none. Their "synergy" with the graveyard comes second at best to their power level.

I'm currently running both, but my cube is pretty large so it might be okay? We have had one draft in which one deck ended up with both and I would describe that situation as unfortunate.

I first put them in for the graveyard synergy but, like Sigh says, that doesn't actually matter. They're slightly better in graveyard decks but, really, they don't need enablers to be powerful.

I'd actually cut the Treasure Cruise before the Dig Through Time, because it's so splashable. At least Dig is mostly used by blue decks to do blue stuff. You can first pick a Cruise and be pretty sure you can splash it and it'll be great.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Dig at least offers a unique, splashy effect; Treasure Cruise is just a hyper-efficient version of a card we've seen a hundred times

If I had to choose one of them, I'd go with Dig. Getting the 2 best cards out of the next 7 you were going to draw is much better than 3 randomly drawn cards. Like others have mentioned, the first delve spell is kind of a free roll in your typical Riptide cube, but you've got to work for the 2nd one. I'll play Dig in every blue deck I draft, I'll splash for Cruise is probably any deck since it's so easy with only one blue symbol.