General Fighting Disappointment: Lets fix some cards that were almost sweet

I think I'm pretty clear. Maybe we can turn this into a forum game or something at some point but there are a lot of cards that feel like they had something loosened before the day of the big race that we can't help but see the glowing potential in.

Can you think of what should have been? Are there some bad boys out there that would make your cube if they just cost a little less, had a balancing ability or had a little more synergy crammed into them? Cards you felt like had a real home in an environment if they hadn't had the wording they did?

What about a damn ugly mechanic?

I've always been so sad about Dinrova Horror. I love recoil and I do like UB getting weird 187 creatures but this guy feels so close to constructed and cube playability. I guess I can get some use of of him in peasant but he's not even really amazing there.

Man does Glorious Anthem leave me feeling kinda wanting. I know we recently got something that looks a bit like a better anthem in that spear, but I'd love more suggestions on new anthems. Me and Chris T are pretty much out of ideas so I'm jazzed to hear yours.

My favorite example of this I've seen is this one:
(Worldly Tutor)

{G} Instant
"Search your library or graveyard for a creature or land, shuffle your library, and put it on top."
I wouldn't mind that card on a spellbomb!

I like your horror Chris! Do you think it would be too insane if it were just like the normal one but cost 5 and they discarded at random? Probz right?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
how about 3/2 flying, discard at random?

I like the random discard, it adds an interesting tension there that you usually don't find.

I dunno, I always feel jaded when I pay 5+ mana and get a weak ass mofo on the field. I don't care if he does other cool stuff - I just paid 5 mana! That said, anything much bigger is getting too pushed. Could you tack on flash and turn him into a combat trick??

I dunno, I always feel jaded when I pay 5+ mana and get a weak ass mofo on the field. I don't care if he does other cool stuff - I just paid 5 mana! That said, anything much bigger is getting too pushed. Could you tack on flash and turn him into a combat trick??
I think Kuldahar has the right idea. We may need to make it modular somehow to make it fair though.

Also welcome new user Kuldahar? Do I take it you are one of the rare beings that has finished an icewindale game?

I think Kuldahar has the right idea. We may need to make it modular somehow to make it fair though.

Also welcome new user Kuldahar? Do I take it you are one of the rare beings that has finished an icewindale game?

Thanks bud :) I did finish Icewind Dale. I didn't finish Heart of Winter\Icewind Dale 2 though. I might get back to it after I have done my run through of BG2:EE. I picked up the name Kuldahar when I was looking for an orc name when I made my first orc warlock in WoW eons ago. It has stuck ever since.

In regards to the horror...
Ermergerd Horror 3{U}{B}
Creature - horror
Flash
Flying
When ~ enters the battlefield choose one: return target creature to its owner's hand; target player discards a card at random. Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
3/2

Or is that too far from the original card? Is it too pushed? not enough? I know I said I want a big bum beef on the field for 5 mana, but this dude has some tricks up his sleeve... I guess you would have to play test to see if its enough!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So bounce or discard and +1/+1 counter? Weird modes man.

If he's a 3/3 flying, can we skip the counter and just make his modes either half of recoil?

Also Woo! World of Warcraft! (I'm currently playing again)

So bounce or discard and +1/+1 counter? Weird modes man.

If he's a 3/3 flying, can we skip the counter and just make his modes either half of recoil?

Yeah I know, I just felt that the discard wasn't as powerful as the return to hand, so I off-set it with a +1/+1 counter.
Your way works too - somewhat more elegantly I might add ;)

I would also look at adding this if you don't give it flash:
Evoke {1}{U}{B}
If you cast this spell for it's evoke cost, it has flash.

or whatever rules text it needs for it work like that - or something.

I'm on a hiatus. I've been playing for so long, and it has sucked so many hours out of my life, that I just might not go back. It's a shame because I feckin' love the game, and the world etc. but it is such a time sink, and I have sooo many things I want to do.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm on a hiatus. I've been playing for so long, and it has sucked so many hours out of my life, that I just might not go back. It's a shame because I feckin' love the game, and the world etc. but it is such a time sink, and I have sooo many things I want to do.

This is exactly how I feel about the game, too. WoW is one of my favourite games of all time, and probably my favourite co-op game ever. But after I cancelled my subscription, I knew that as much as I wanted to, I'd probably never play it again. So far that's held true, six years and counting!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Fair enough. Raid finder has made it way easier for it to not suck hours out of my life.
This week I actually didn't even realize realms had reset until like 10pm Teusday :p
A lot of what I love doing resets weekly, so normally I'd have been on around lunchtime, knocking them all out, but nah. This week I was like "Woah! Bonus!"

I don't really think jace TMS needs fixing. The fateseal is his weakest ability anyways, more of a means to an end. Maybe I'm underplaying things?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In terms of cube, I would not change a thing about JTMS. Love his design, and he doesn't even feel miserable to play against or anything. Somehow it's a card that generates positive emotions almost exclusively. Maybe it's because when you kill him a second doesn't hit the table the next turn. For all 9 rounds of a GP.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
In terms of cube, I would not change a thing about JTMS. Love his design, and he doesn't even feel miserable to play against or anything. Somehow it's a card that generates positive emotions almost exclusively. Maybe it's because when you kill him a second doesn't hit the table the next turn. For all 9 rounds of a GP.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head :p

Thanks bud :) I did finish Icewind Dale. I didn't finish Heart of Winter\Icewind Dale 2 though. I might get back to it after I have done my run through of BG2:EE. I picked up the name Kuldahar when I was looking for an orc name when I made my first orc warlock in WoW eons ago. It has stuck ever since.

Hahaha we've been steadily plowing through the great CRPGs over skype and game ranger (me and some of Chris Taylor's old classmates I think oddly enough) about at the end of BGII right now. One of my mates has beaten those ice wind games but god damn does it seem kinda bleak to me.

I just re listened to Lovecraft's Dunwich horror and now I really want to remake this card with that name.

What about trying to have some playable extort cards?

I think even giving syndic of tithes first strike might make it playable.

Is giving a land extort totally broken?

not particularly hard to design, hard to balance though
Extortland
Land
Extort
{T}: Add {1} to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.