GBS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Feel free to spread the good word wherever you go.

Although, be warned, venom is very selectively aimed. It's okay to use custom cards, power, errata, Un- cards, Chaos Orb, make custom split cards, make a cosmetic space theme, etc... other things are strictly frowned upon over there.

CML

Contributor
haha, what i meant was that it seemed like the venom was no longer being misdirected. like the people of east germany no longer hating the running dogs from the west and tearing down the wall or something.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the MTGS forums have long disliked the MTGO cube, so it's not exactly a new phenomenon. Not sure if there's any way to harness that, though.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Part of me thinks that anybody worth finding on MTGS would be here already... but then, I'm sure some of us were found there, so idk.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I do an internet radio show called The Communist Propaganda Show. Since this is a General Bullshit thread, I thought I'd throw the show's FB profile pic in here and make you all salute. Hail General Bullshit!
531116_553174841363308_516949041_n.png

Now you can all go back to cube talk. I am so swamped with revision at the moment I can't really concentrate on this stuff, but I like to come over and see what's up now and then.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Eric and I talked about this before, and if you think about it in political terms, this site is effectively the home of far-left wing cube design. You can actually run pretty deep with that analogy if you try.

VibeBox

Contributor
i'm an actual marxist
so yeah literally or metaphorically i think it's safe to say we're coming from the radical left.

CML

Contributor
marxism can be quite descriptive when it's attacking other biases instead of defending its own

id prefer to call myself a 'westist'

VibeBox

Contributor
anyone checked out that cubetutor website yet? i bookmarked it but haven't scoped the features or registered yet.
it wouldn't be hard to beat tappedout for cube management though so i'm definitely interested

CML

Contributor
i gave it a try (http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/114), seems like its analysis options are more basic than the tappedout ones, the presentation is less pleasing to the eye, and the list software is buggy (i mean who can't handle a w/w/w/w/w, come on!) i imagine it'll get better though, seems promising

Yeah, it looks really good. The developer is taking requests and implementing them as fast as he can, so I imagine the glitches will be fixed pretty soon. (I can now enter my Booster Tutor and Maelstrom Wanderer, which wasn't true yesterday.)

He has promised a range of options for cube analysis and display. There's even a chance that you'd be able to upload your own alters, so your actual card appears in your cube list, it seems.

Most exciting to me is the draft function. The bots are programmed to stick to two colors and hatedraft if there is nothing left in those colors for them. It tracks your picks, and as you draft you are "training" the bots with your preferences. This seems a huge upgrade to the tappedout draft for folks who like to waste time solo drafting their cube when they have 5 minutes on the train.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the main problem with TappedOut is that the "pick order" statistic is based off of picks from all drafts, not just from cubes. So if some random cube was first-picked a lot in M11 or whatever, that guide the bots' cube picks.

It would be an interesting exercise to build some machine-learning algorithm that mimicked real drafting well with sufficiently plentiful data.

CML

Contributor
yeah, the algs on tappedout are awful. i just end up drafting GRxx midrange with perfect mana every time

I'd love it if they offered different configurations of drafters/packs, so I can try out a 4-player draft with 5 packs of 9 or whatever. The more customization, the better, as we all do different things with our cubes/playgroups.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
My cube is up on CubeTutor as well (Well, the non custom parts)
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/88 (Ha! I Joined before you CML! :p)

I'm waiting on the Edit Card Attributes (Force costs 0)/Custom Lists (Separate a blue section)/Upload Images (Show off the alters) features, so I can edit in my custom cards and have them show up in the right place.

I should get around to posting a visual spoiler around here...

@CML: How is Illusory Angel working for you? I really love that card

My cube is up on CubeTutor as well (Well, the non custom parts)
http://www.cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/88 (Ha! I Joined before you CML! :p)

I'm waiting on the Edit Card Attributes (Force costs 0)/Custom Lists (Separate a blue section)/Upload Images (Show off the alters) features, so I can edit in my custom cards and have them show up in the right place.

I should get around to posting a visual spoiler around here...

@CML: How is Illusory Angel working for you? I really love that card
I drafted this little number. Seems like I could craft a great aggressive deck out of that. Pick 10 wurmcoil was a bit weird though :/
New Canvas.jpg

CML

Contributor
illusory angel is a piece of shit. too bad, too, i wanted to like her (i guess i still like her) but things aren't gonna work out (most of my experiments fail)

how do YOU feel about these!

devoted caretaker
daring skyjek
fencing ace
loyal cathar
mistral charger
treachery
chain of smog
smallpox
frenzied goblin
gore-house chainwalker
crater hellion
greater gargadon
avenger of zendikar
mwonvuli acid-moss
jinxed choker
mimic vat
myr battlesphere

Chris Taylor

Contributor
devoted caretaker: (AKA Single Mom) She's been good. Mother of rune is almost deffinitly too poweful, and this is a more fair take on a solid card.
daring skyjek: Flying comes up enough that it's better than blade of the sixth pride. The more the better IMO.
fencing ace: Haven't seen too much of this guy. I'm keeping him in until I'm proven he's awesome or until I live the dream (I am running Berserk)
loyal cathar: He's been solid. His mana cost sucks, but vigilance and psudo-persist is awesome. The fact that he has 2 power after dying is key.
mistral charger: Evasion is great. I'd probably run ALOT of these, and I wish other colors were so lucky (See Vampire Interloper and Welkin Tern)
treachery: Miiiiight be too strong. I've been keeping a close eye on it, but my drafters respect it, so it gets hate drafted quite a bit.
chain of smog: A personal favorite. In the aggro mirror, generally the black deck is more comfortable being hellbent (Because of gravecrawler et al), and against control they can't afford to send it back at you. I don't personally have reanimator in my cube, but I imagine this card is just the bananas.
smallpox: Love it so much. Recursive guys make this amazing, and even just as a value play in black decks it's not as terrible as you think. It takes finesse though.
frenzied goblin: He's new, I think he might end up being sweet. I almost added Firefist Striker, and he seems more solid. Can't ever have enough one drops!
gore-house chainwalker: So much love! I actually had a RR 3/2 that can't block, so the-man-with-the-silliest-name-for-a-red 2-drop-ever exceeded all expectations for me. Unconditonal 3 power 2 drops are in short supply, but while he's not as strong as Stormblood Berserker, he's far more consistent.
crater hellion: Essentially Wildfire #3. Been strong, but doesn't find a home every draft, since the wildfire deck is a little hard to pull together sometimes. He would be way better if so much of my green acceleration wasn't creatures.
greater gargadon: He's been great. Sac outlet, Inevitability, and sometimes he just does his best Devastating Summons impression, killing people out of nowehere.
avenger of zendikar: Him and craterhoof duke it out for the best green top end creature occasionally. Craterhoof is better on stalled boards and when you're grappling for position, but avenger is the best creature when you're on the back foot. Unless they have hero of oxid ridge or a bunch of fliers, you're living.
mwonvuli acid-moss: Not too great on it's own, but it's a nice little disruptive play for the green decks, and it finds duals. All the >3 cost accelleration is best played after some of the cheaper accelleration, and I think this fits better in my cube than something insane like Thran Dynamo (Due to the absence of Eldrazi, Tooth and Nail, etc)
jinxed choker: RUN THIS CARD! If you like sulfuric vortex, this is like that card, but for more colors and you can ratchet it up. Incredible find, all credit to Andrew Cooperfaus on this one.
mimic vat: Slow, Grindy, but does some insane things. I like that it's incidental graveyard hate (I'll throw your Archon of Justice under it, for eg) and does scary things to/in the pod deck. With a sac outlet, you can also get death triggers off of the tokens, no less.
myr battlesphere: You'll notice I don't have tinker, but I think this guy does a decent job of being Avenger of Zendikar for everyone. He does a wonderful job killing opposing planeswalkers, and kills an unprepared opponent rather fast, while still being reasonable about it (They can chump block to save 8 damage etc)
Probably my favorite artifact creature, and I think if Wurmcoil Engine is as much of a problem as you guys make it out to be, (I haven't really been looking) I might double up on this guy.

CML

Contributor
tyvm for the reply! i'm gonna try

devoted caretaker
mistral charger
smallpox
gore-house chainwalker
chain of smog
greater gargadon
jinxed choker
myr battlesphere

along with some other stuff (vela, bsa)

one small bone of contention: 'you can never have enough one-drops' is broadly true and i wish to god the motherfucking fucking modo cube would be guided by this principle. being a 1 is a huge asset for a cube card (especially if it taps for mana)! that being said i think some are just so bad that nobody wants to play 'em (hello, savannah lions! how you doing, jackal pup!) so i dont have em. this is one of the reasons i have a 405. (your way of handling it in a bigger cube, though, seems really effective and awesome)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
one small bone of contention: 'you can never have enough one-drops' is broadly true and i wish to god the motherfucking fucking modo cube would be guided by this principle. being a 1 is a huge asset for a cube card (especially if it taps for mana)! that being said i think some are just so bad that nobody wants to play 'em (hello, savannah lions! how you doing, jackal pup!) so i dont have em. this is one of the reasons i have a 405. (your way of handling it in a bigger cube, though, seems really effective and awesome)

Yeah, since I've got the extra 150 cards I'll need more to maintain the same ratios. I don't think I could bring myself to go any smaller: I love the variance that comes up when the draft is different across 5 different 8 man drafts over a weekend.
Gotta say I disagree about the "bad cards" :p I love me ole jackel pup! It's an interesting way of saying "Can't Block" that isn't really found anywhere else, and every beatdown player will tell you they don't mind the damage.

Plus my savannah lions is foil :p