GBS

CML

Contributor
ah yes. if i spoke korean i bet i'd find the announcers inane, but since i have no idea what their words mean i just think their enthusiasm is DAMN ADMIRABLE!!! if you can find the video where one of them yells "BULCHAA PUSHO NO BAIBO GA BIBIGI" (postal-map romanization) then i'd buy you a transatlantic drink.

why mech terran vs zerg and not infantry + a few tanks?

the way i mitigated my lack of skill at BW was simple, I played P. it was effective and i would recommend it to anyone else who is lazy. there's gotta be some profound connection between my advocacy of P (hotkeying gateways and hoping battles didn't go too badly) and my complete ineptitude at both fighting games and FPSes

Basically you go mech against zerg because dark swarm is really really strong and siege tanks and spider mines still do some damage under it. Macro zergs with good midgame defense were starting to really wreck terrans who stuck with bio into the lategame. Also by transitioning to vultures as soon as defilers begin to exist you can have great scouting everywhere so they will 100% not sneak an expansion. You'll randomly just get free drones sometimes too because the ling/lurker/defiler force isn't great at stopping vultures from running by.

Instead of trying to kill Zerg bases when their defense is at its best, you screw up the map with mines so they can't use defilers aggressively which allows you to go over the top, because there's basically nothing that can break an entrenched siege tank force. Also valkyries and science vessels blow up mutalisks really well due to splash damage so the muta switch, while occasionally effective, doesn't just kill you.

Marine openings tend to be safer against more builds so you still make marines and get stim and range and etc and you do try to pressure during lair tech.

I play(ed?) Zerg and I hate playing against lategame mech. I usually try to go for drops and harassment because there's no way I'll ever be able to take on their main army. So typically they have a ravaged economy and some floating buildings over their army when I die. Never really solved it.

Love playing against Protoss though! I got C- on iccup by only playing zvp on destination which is another way of saying I'm bad and I use imbalanced maps as a crutch. I just love how relevant lurkers are on the terrain there. And, like, speedling drone drill cheese through the backdoor is awesome.

Reactions: CML
speaking of problems with wotc coverage: why dont they always show the whole set, often they just show a game and then switch it and have another game in the same set off camera

also the filler is ridiculous, here's this powerpoint slide of a creature and the information on the screen is stuff like rarity, creature type, why it was printed in this set, playtest names
why? sure, this info is cool but this is not what someone is tuning into this stream cares about at all.

edit: something I've noticed about this vs fighting game coverage. fighting game commentators aren't scared to say when they think a player's character choice or gameplay decisions in a particular match/tournament are bad. here everything has to be 'devastating' 'incredibly powerful' 'absurd amount of power'. sure, i'm not asking them to say cards are ass, but maybe not everything has to be equally 'unbelievable'. there's too much meaningless empty filler being said midmatch.

'everybody's favorite lsv, everybody's favorite bdm, and my favorite rich hagon' - marshal sutcliffe
welp

i'm at least glad lsv is there

edit #2: at least this isnt as bad as the time they let adam sessler commentate evo

edit #3: and then theres a judge call and they spent like 4 minutes completely silent instead of talking about the matchup or the players or the other match going on or what just anything come on guys pick something

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I had another dumb thought:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Since I'm on the fence right now about tymaret being too slow, she's a maybe?

Pros:
  • Draw cards
  • Better beater when unopposed
  • Hits creatures
Cons:
  • Fragile
  • Limited to black/red creatures (No token shenanigans)
  • Not a zombie
  • mostly just draws cards (as most of the recurring creatures are black) which kinda forces you to play "fair" with her

VibeBox

Contributor
my cubers still play damage on the stack and we built our cube with it in effect.
it's way fun, yall are missin out.
: -D

CML

Contributor
speaking of problems with wotc coverage: why dont they always show the whole set, often they just show a game and then switch it and have another game in the same set off camera

also the filler is ridiculous, here's this powerpoint slide of a creature and the information on the screen is stuff like rarity, creature type, why it was printed in this set, playtest names
why? sure, this info is cool but this is not what someone is tuning into this stream cares about at all.

edit: something I've noticed about this vs fighting game coverage. fighting game commentators aren't scared to say when they think a player's character choice or gameplay decisions in a particular match/tournament are bad. here everything has to be 'devastating' 'incredibly powerful' 'absurd amount of power'. sure, i'm not asking them to say cards are ass, but maybe not everything has to be equally 'unbelievable'. there's too much meaningless empty filler being said midmatch.

'everybody's favorite lsv, everybody's favorite bdm, and my favorite rich hagon' - marshal sutcliffe
welp

i'm at least glad lsv is there

edit #2: at least this isnt as bad as the time they let adam sessler commentate evo

edit #3: and then theres a judge call and they spent like 4 minutes completely silent instead of talking about the matchup or the players or the other match going on or what just anything come on guys pick something

this is a synecdoche for their business strategy, which is never saying anything negative ever. in other words, one cannot use the judgments one makes within a game of mtg to criticize any components of the game itself, let alone the company. the endless circle-jerk of bland, meaningless positivity (FALSE POSITIVES?!) becomes how people like Zac think of themselves (just read his horseshit on modern grixis delver, and our exchange below it), while the discrepancy between how things are and how things are presented informs the hypocrisies of the community

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Today I went to Gent where we alternated between playing indoor soccer and Modern each hour for 8 hours. I am sore as fuck, and, despite by total disinterest in Magic, apparently my Tribal Flames deck can't stop winning. 3 - 0 - 1, with a tie against Jund.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Uh... I'm on Candy Crush level 417. Other than that I have been reading books (just started Norwegian Wood), and am being super social. I am having drinks with a friend tomorrow, then have dates Tuesday - Thursday. That and I've gotten really into music again (did campus radio in college), and sometimes don't want to leave the house so that I can sit at home and keep listening to songs I like.

Yeah I can relate to that. Since my audiobook addiction I only get to listen to music when I'm in front of a computer.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
guys guys I just traded for this and I am excited

Just me?

Props for radio, Jason. Radio is sweet. Except I'm really not enthusiastic about real radio at all now. My show's content is almost entirely music; real radio doesn't seem to care about good music all that much. It sucks cuz radio's one thing I'm looking for a job in, but I don't actually see how I would fit in at all.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Lyzolda's awesome, especially if you triple up on Rakdos Cacklers. Lyzolda + Murderous Redcap is also not ok. Love Unearth as well.

Planar Guide is one of those cards that seems really sweet but just avoids making the cut for me. I'm eager to give it a try though.

CML

Contributor
yeah, just you, stevenson. but with the zombie sac theme how about making it a fuse card with stifle?

6.jpg

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Looks like this feature isn't available in the current version of Xenforo, but it will be in the next release. Until then, like Jason said, just send one of us a quick PM.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
nemesis of identity 1UU
Merfolk rogue
When ~~ enters the battlefield, choose a player.
~~ has protection from chosen player (It can't be blocked, targeted, damaged, enchanted by a source controlled by this player)
3/1.