GBS

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Facebook let's you change your name every 60 days, so I'd been steadily making mine longer and longer for a while. Most recently it was "Jam McSvenssonsteinbergson", and I was looking forward to making it "Al-McSvenssonsteinbergson" in about a month. But today they wouldn't let me log in unless I changed it. We'll see... I'll give it a couple months and try again.

I did that and then they held my friendslist hostage until I sent them my driver's license. I'm now on my second fb account.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
On a scale from 1 to 10, how glum are your colleagues going to be on Monday Waddell? What a phenomenal performance by Wales o_O

Hmmm, I don't know, I've been sick all weekend, so I might not get to see it.

And also, a small minority of my colleagues are actually Belgian.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
ssa5KcQ.png

Damn it, I was so close
ZNrSndB.jpg

screenshot from today. It's been like 2 years, I swear.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I just downloaded a paper from sci-hub.bz for the first time. That site is soooooo dope. Worked in an instant!

Sci-hub is a site which shares scientific journals for free. It has a huge repository of papers, and if you ask it for one it doesn't have, it goes and acquires it on the spot, and adds it to the site. Normally you would have to pay ~$30 to read one of these papers, or you can have access through university subscriptions. For example, I can get almost all the papers I need because my uni subscribes to shit tons of journals. Sci-hub works thanks to people who have donated their log in credentials for such subscriptions, so any time it wants to grab a paper it doesn't have, it uses someone's details and downloads it. Naturally, people are trying to take it down, but for the moment, it works like a charm!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I just downloaded a paper from sci-hub.bz for the first time. That site is soooooo dope. Worked in an instant!

Sci-hub is a site which shares scientific journals for free. It has a huge repository of papers, and if you ask it for one it doesn't have, it goes and acquires it on the spot, and adds it to the site. Normally you would have to pay ~$30 to read one of these papers, or you can have access through university subscriptions. For example, I can get almost all the papers I need because my uni subscribes to shit tons of journals. Sci-hub works thanks to people who have donated their log in credentials for such subscriptions, so any time it wants to grab a paper it doesn't have, it uses someone's details and downloads it. Naturally, people are trying to take it down, but for the moment, it works like a charm!

Are you an add?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Are you an add?

No, but hopefully I'm a plus

I just think the site is dope. I was expecting it to be a pain in the ass like torrent sites are, with lots of terrible proxies to go through, and ads everywhere. I mean, it's a Russian website providing pirated material.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
on that note I have a .ac.uk email address for the next few months so if any of you need a journal article or w/e hmu and I'll do what I can

Aoret

Developer
No, but hopefully I'm a plus

I just think the site is dope. I was expecting it to be a pain in the ass like torrent sites are, with lots of terrible proxies to go through, and ads everywhere. I mean, it's a Russian website providing pirated material.
I'm glad somebody else thinks this is awesome. Wish I'd have posted about it sooner!

*googles breakfast burrito recipes*
"Total time: 1h 45m"
"nope."
The trick with stuff like this ime is to make like 20 and then freeze them. Also that seems like a lot of time! I normally build on a base of kidney beans, black beans, medium diced tofu, mixed veggies and usually potato. The beans are either canned or pressure cooked (5-15 minutes), the potato is either pressure cooked or leftover, salsa and tomatoes are canned, rice is leftover, tofu is pressed and dried, and then the rest of the prep is maybe a half hour and assembly is another 15-20. Put a table in front of the TV and I can usually knock out a dozen in 1-2 episodes of something trashy (Penny Dreadful, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, CNN).

Other good breakfast burrito combos:
Chickpeas, sweet potato, wilted spinach/mustard greens, rice, chutney, chana masala spices, amchur, garam masala
Grilled tofu (beef if you insist - sliced thinly on the bias), chipotle salsa, potato, kale, garlic, caramelized onion, rice, large diced tomato, cilantro

If it takes longer than an hour to make a dozen of any of those you're not doing it right.