GBS

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Yo, my post got to the front page of /r/magicTCG. It might even be number one once the Power Ranger from the SCG Open (see Ferret's post above) goes away.

Feels good to post something others can relate to (and get that sweet, sweet karma).

I doubt it is going to beat my other claim to fame on /r/magicTCG.

That hit ratio is pretty good, considering I have only posted 4 links to reddit in the two years I have had an account.
My other posts were trying to advocate type 4, which was pretty average and people aren't up for variants. My other was one of my terrible alters, which I guess I was too late to the meme party :\

The internet is a funny place.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Cool! I'll be there on Saturday likely, maybe we could meet up if you'd like. I'm not competing, of course, but I live about 3 blocks from the convention center in Atlanta so I'll be there to check out the scene!

Sure; happy to Cube on Saturday night (probably) or certainly Sunday or Monday morning/afternoon

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I played Robots, which I think was the rational choice for me and is a good choice for the event and going forward regardless of Eldrazi shenanigans

WhF6Ntr.jpg

Draft 1: went 2-1, lost to Chris Fennell

L8wercP.jpg

Draft 2: 1-2, lost to Ben Weitz and Michael Majors

uSNZmr1.jpg

R4: 2-1 vs Burn (Stephen Neal)
R5: 2-0 vs Jund (Christian Calcano)
R6: 1-2 vs GW Hatebears
R7: 2-1 vs Death's Shadow (Tommy Ashton)
R8: 2-1 vs Robots*

R12: 1-2 vs Storm (teammate Martin Clement)
R13: 2-0 vs UR Eldrazi (Adam Boyd; I was his only loss in Constructed!)
R14: 1-2 vs Abzan Company (Jarvis Yu)
R15: 2-1 vs Merfolk
R16: 1-2 vs Robots

*this was kinda sick: in G3 we both mull to 5 with me on the play, this is bad for me IMO because you need a nut draw in the mirror and it takes a lot of moving parts to make that happen; I offer the 'this sucks for both of us, let's draw this game and start with a fresh 7 for G4' gambit, he agrees and I T2 Aether Grid him

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not really a fan of John Oliver's presentation style. I like him quite a lot in things like Community, but the monologues are filled with a lot of jokes that aren't really jokes. Maybe it's just that Stewart / Colbert set such a high bar...

Anyone seen the new Samantha Bee show? I've heard it was good, but haven't checked it out myself.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think this was the first John Oliver thing I've seen, but he makes good points while interjecting some humor. I liked it :) I don't think I've seen the others you mentioned.

I'm not really a fan of John Oliver's presentation style. I like him quite a lot in things like Community, but the monologues are filled with a lot of jokes that aren't really jokes. Maybe it's just that Stewart / Colbert set such a high bar...

Anyone seen the new Samantha Bee show? I've heard it was good, but haven't checked it out myself.
I like it a lot actually. She's less restrained when interviewing politicians and has done some good refugee crisis long-form pieces. Oliver's dry comedic style works really well for me though as a former teaaboo

Overall I like him, but the writing on his show does feel a little "pushed" sometimes. I thought he was excellent during his stint of hosting the Daily Show, which leads me to blame the writers of Last Week Tonight more than him.

I rarely enjoy the song-and-dance type segments at the end of the show. The Supreme Court Justice Dogs is an exception.

Aoret

Developer
I'll spend some time on it in the next day or two. PM me if you want to be a beta reader before it goes to the site as a whole.