GBS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think I might drum up a "Building your First Cube" Primer sometime this weekend. Would that be something people would be interested in?

It's something I've been asked by a bunch of people over the last little while.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's something we pretty desperately need on the site actually. So desperately that it would probably be a permanent fixture on the front page (next to the "About" link, which also needs some work).

We're also waiting on an article or two from Eric, if he'll ever get off his lazy (city of) ass...

CML

Contributor
i almost never watch magic videos but make an exception for caleb's content. his brews are beautiful and his play is instructive. plus legacy makes for better viewing, in a game that (for how good it is) is astonishingly bad as a spectator sport.

plus, his voice sounds like a minnesotan muppet on heliums.

Playing in GP Providence this weekend. Keep an eye on the standings for me, my teammates and I have been practicing a bunch, so of course we'll horribly mis-build and scrub out at 3-3. Wish us luck!

Reactions: CML

CML

Contributor
fuuuuuck man i wish i coulda made it over but i like being unemployed more than east coast trips i gotta make at some point.

i'm pretty sure i'm headed to Jersey in late july for the scg invitational, yall should ping me if you wanna meet up and live in the area (if you live in that area, btw, condolences, i feel your pain)

What format are you guys playing? Is block season over yet, I've been bad at paying attention when I haven't spent much time with my computer of late.

Good luck man!

CML

Contributor
? SCG invis are always 8 rounds of legacy and 8 rounds of standard with t8 alternating. this one is gonna be standard t8 (but given my performance at the last one, i dont wanna get ahead of myself). i think i can shore up my chances by playing merfolk though

block season doesn't exist, it's a format only for PTs and the odd daily. we're like halfway through standard season, in mid-august it switches to sealed then around december turns to modern (i think), though with the 4th PT it could be different

Poop I was hoping we had just entered some sort of block season. I guess people only ever cared about it for tournament testing though.

Yeah I haven't played constructed in ever so I'm out of the loop. I don't even think scg tournaments were a big international deal back then.

CML

Contributor
big domestic deal. too much of an east-coast bias, though. i have no idea why they continue to be hq'ed in some godforsaken hillbilly hamlet in western virginia. i'd guess it's because in that region everyone drives to every tournament. plus setting up in seattle is pricey.

invis are much, much easier to qualify for than the PT, much, much easier to stay on than the PT, much, much easier in terms of quality of play than the PT, and not all that worse in terms of value. i love scg tournaments. everything about them is fantastic. even at opens, the prize support is good -- so much less soul-crushingly -EV than a GP, say -- the judging and administration is good, the venues are fine, the competition is spirited but relaxed, the people are fun, and only having to t8 instead of win is a huge relief from the winner-takes-all BS of PTQs. also, the coverage is so much better than the boring lies one hears from imbeciles like hagon on the mothership. it blows my mind that a third-party vendor is able to so consistently and easily outdo wizards itself, who prints the cards. i am told hasbro is to blame for this too.

the thing about block is that it's rarely a robust format, like the PT metagame is often interesting (e.g. TSP, Shards, kinda ZEN, kinda ISD, RTR) but then people figure out the best deck pretty quickly and the format degenerates. iirc everyone was playing hella jund after PT AVR last year. it looked stupid.

an interesting insight a friend of mine had (he loved TSP block constructed, which is commonly cited as one of the best environments of all time -- RTR and KAM weren't awful either, he told me) was that, from shards forward, block suffered because the card pools were too small. like TSP has 100 more cards than a modern big set. that's not all that huge of a deal for standard, but for block it severely restrains the number of options

Playing in GP Providence this weekend. Keep an eye on the standings for me, my teammates and I have been practicing a bunch, so of course we'll horribly mis-build and scrub out at 3-3. Wish us luck!

Apparently I was too presumptuous, we went 1-2-1 drop. Our build was really difficult (our blueprint that had worked for every practice pool involved red-based aggro deck; that didn't exist) and we were sort of removal-light. We ran up against the clock for build time and made some subtle mistakes that could have made the difference in our actual matches (our losses were fairly close). I also feel like we had some bad beats: our aggro deck was Orzhov and it got iced by a Blood Baron of Viskopa, my UGr deck only dropped games to Gruul War Chant, which I couldn't deal with once resolved (and only had 4-mana counters to prevent it from landing), and our 4-color goodstuff deck had pretty awesome mana but still managed to stumble on it game after game.

Our performance in the tournament aside, we still had a blast, and would play the format again in a heartbeat. The atmosphere was awesome, even at the losing tables and the sound of literally thousands of packs being cracked and cards being flicked/sorted was surreal. We had a few gripes about the GP format - draws were a constant source of heartbreak and I think they should consider a variant way of determining a winner to make everyone's lives simpler.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I have no sympathy for these ridiculous excuses!
r0w8tOY.png

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
So is dvaork that big a deal to statisticians? or am I missing something? {R}

Context: In Belgium many people use AZERTY keyboards instead of QWERTY. Tim is a student in college, and is on a lab computer while studying for his statistics exam. I'm an American statistician using my normal QWERTY keyboard. He made his particular excuse to the worst possible audience.

I don't think I'm comfortable enough to be sarcastic with you guys yet so don't worry about it. If I seem insincere just picture me with a glow of childlike innocence and wonderment.

Maybe I should change my display picture to suit that.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I'm comfortable enough to be sarcastic with you guys yet so don't worry about it. If I seem insincere just picture me with a glow of childlike innocence and wonderment.

Maybe I should change my display picture to suit that.

Well in that case, yes, it's a pretty fun profession. I basically get paid to make sense of things and have full control over how I make sense of said things and get to spend my days thinking of fun ways to visualize and communicate results and ideas. Also, Statisticians are needed everywhere, so I get to dip my toe in all sorts of fields: consumer sales, pharmaceuticals, genetics, sports, food science, astronomy, etc.

Also we have a competition-grade foosball table in our basement.

CML

Contributor
i am not comfortable not being sarcastic. no irony here.

stats is great fun. i have fond memories of that AP test being the easiest test i've ever taken. without it, i would have found poker concepts much tougher to grok, i think.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Well in that case, yes, it's a pretty fun profession. I basically get paid to make sense of things and have full control over how I make sense of said things and get to spend my days thinking of fun ways to visualize and communicate results and ideas. Also, Statisticians are needed everywhere, so I get to dip my toe in all sorts of fields: consumer sales, pharmaceuticals, genetics, sports, food science, astronomy, etc.

Also we have a competition-grade foosball table in our basement.
My fiance is looking to get into statistics at the moment, Glad to hear it's as awesome as she keeps telling me :p

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
It's a minor milestone, but I now have less than one-third of this board's posts (for the first time ever). Hoorah!