GBS

I thought he made some good points re: viewership. His numbers seem based on assumptions, but I think he makes some good arguments for increasing viewers. More viewers mean the media products themselves are more valuable, which adds value above the value of the boosters sold. I think he's right it's more efficient to grow viewers than new players. My biggest criticism is that I'm not sure he sees the big picture, but he says as much in his introduction.

Bottom line, this is the best article on improving coverage I've read.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think the article series as a whole is great. Like Jason pointed out, a lot of his initial assumptions are anywhere from slightly askew to way off the mark. But in today's article, he still makes a lot of strong arguments for how the entire program could be restructured to maximize viewing potential. To pick one example: the World Magic Cup captain picking his three teammates? Brilliant. Way more compelling to watch than having three unknown Joe Schmoes win PTQ-type events to join Brian Kibler or Alexander Hayne on the big stage.

I feel like the outsider's perspective he brings is valuable, as he's willing to question the fundamentals that Wizards has set in place for coverage. It's clear that some of numbers are just off, but I don't think that diminishes his advice in any way.

But ya, by gawd, the editing over there is pretty suspect nowadays.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Bigger party was yesterday:
PqAvHQE.png

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Easiest thing to find artwork for, bar none.
I may have a few angel rebels for my cube if I ever take that custom card plunge :p

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I think the idea of a captain picking their teammates is the worst suggestion in the article, tbh. You end up with the captain picking their teammates, which is bad enough, or - in small countries - their best friends whom nobody else has heard of, which is even worse.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think the idea of a captain picking their teammates is the worst suggestion in the article, tbh. You end up with the captain picking their teammates, which is bad enough, or - in small countries - their best friends whom nobody else has heard or, which is even worse.

Yeah, I mean, as much fun as it would be to see Brian Kibler and his posse, if a no-name wins a spot and brings his pals along, that would be rather unappealing from a spectator perspective.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think there'd have to be some reasonable restrictions on picking teammates. Like, each team member has to have 2 pro points on the season so far, so captains aren't just picking their three best buddies from their LGS.

The author furthers his argument with some good points in today's article. It's hard to take the World Magic Cup seriously when you know the so-called national teams don't have all of their top caliber players assembled to duke it out for the championship. Team sports in the Olympics are more interesting when the U.S. assembles its Dream Team every four years, and paint a clear target on their backs. I think it makes for more compelling storylines, especially among casual fans of the sport. It's pretty easy to buy Lebron as a bad guy, even when you don't know much about basketball (*raises hand*).

Thinking about it some more, maybe having captains pick their teammates would reek a little too much of nepotism. But having three unknowns represent every country, alongside one name pro, doesn't do the viewer many favours, either. Maybe just cull the top four pro points leaders every year, and call it a day?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
chopped-logo1.jpg

Each of you has 60 minutes to design a cube around the following mystery ingredients (the first four random cards that came up on Gatherer):
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

You will be judge by a panel of assholes, who will nitpick at your inability to prepare a twinkie kale reduction over a braised goose liver confit.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think there'd have to be some reasonable restrictions on picking teammates. Like, each team member has to have 2 pro points on the season so far, so captains aren't just picking their three best buddies from their LGS.

Would they want to? Isn't this tournament kinda big? :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Alright, U/W is a self-mill deck for threshold beatdown
B/W is heavy control, nothing else
R/G is tokens galore
G has a small subtheme of making doubling season bonkers.

thats like what, 30 seconds?

While I can see that from a coverage point of view watching only pro players might be more interesting, I think it would be terrible for the players in smaller countries. There was a huge outcry when Nationals were announced to be removed because the chance to get onto the national team is a huge deal for a lot of players. Not everywhere there's such an abundance of pros like in the US. We get one PTQ per season and not everyone has the money to travel to tons of GPS. And in such small communities it's hardly the case that you don't know the guy at all that gets on the team if you're playing ptqs and gpts and such. A friend of mine got onto the team and I'm sure a whole bunch of casuals who don't usually care about coverage will be watching because the actually know a player.

Btw: Last season we had exactly 4 players with more than 4 points. ;)

VibeBox

Contributor
Each of you has 60 minutes to design a cube around the following mystery ingredients (the first four random cards that came up on Gatherer):
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
it's all about counters. with a focus on individual creatures as the "hero" on each side. augmentations come in the form of heavy use of spells and abilities for + and - counters, an overabundance of equipment.
red is the only holdout to this single unit focus. tokens, tokens, everywhere.
black is constantly trying to fuck with the GY count to avoid dying to the myriad threshold effects. white gets dragged along by exiling as often as possible.
Vigor is king.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Pardon my ignorance, but are there 4 players with Pro Points in every country that attends?

My Welsh friend won a PTQ for Montreal, went like 1-5, and hasn't acquired any more Pro Points. He's now the Welsh captain for the WMC by default, because nobody else in Wales has any points at all.

chopped-logo1.jpg

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

You will be judge by a panel of assholes, who will nitpick at your inability to prepare a twinkie kale reduction over a braised goose liver confit.

The cube contains no blue or green cards. There is a strong artifact theme overlapping with tokens, with two copies of Shrine of Loyal Legions and four copies of Kuldotha Rebirth in the 360. Picking Myr Servitor gets you another one free; there are two in the cube. Niche archetypes include Ion Storm and Kaalia of the Vast. Wishes have errata allowing them to pick your opponents' exiled cards. Colorshifted Grisly Salvage costs WW. Geosurge has flashback 3WW. Final Judgment has flashback 3B. Sin Collector has unearth 1R. Sacrifice and symmetric discard are plentiful. There is one Sneak Attack, for heat.

How you like THEM apples?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The cube contains no blue or green cards. There is a strong artifact theme overlapping with tokens, with two copies of Shrine of Loyal Legions and four copies of Kuldotha Rebirth in the 360. Picking Myr Servitor gets you another one free; there are two in the cube. Niche archetypes include Ion Storm and Kaalia of the Vast. Wishes have errata allowing them to pick your opponents' exiled cards. Colorshifted Grisly Salvage costs WW. Geosurge has flashback 3WW. Final Judgment has flashback 3B. Sin Collector has unearth 1R. Sacrifice and symmetric discard are plentiful. There is one Sneak Attack, for heat.

How you like THEM apples?

I have a confession. Those weren't the first four cards that came up on gatherer. One of them was this guy:
Image.ashx