GBS

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I joined in a climate march yesterday, that was quite fun. Wherever we passed a mcdonalds or starbucks there were police blocking the doors and windows. My favorite signs from the crowd were: A really big one that said "Just stop fucking everything up", one that said "GOD HATES (plastic) BAGS", and my very favorite, one with a picture of a penguin that said "Waddle we do?" That one had a cute girl holding it who smiled at me, that was nice. I really wish I'd brought a sign. Maybe "Be excellent to one another" or my slogan for the next election I run in: "More trees, less rape".
There was a guy playing a drum kit on the back of a rickshaw kind of thing, with two guitarist walking behind him and a singer. They had a guy with a ukulele who joined in, and later a dude with a trombone rocked up as well.
There was a group of angry anarchists, a guy with a sign covered in conspiracy theory nonsense followed by a nice big "WAKE UP!", and the smell of weed occasionally. We had 20'000 people. Last week New York had 400'000! Holy shit! So to be honest, I was kinda disappointed. The UK doesn't know how to protest any more. Why are we so apathetic? I'm totally guilty, I just turned up to see what was going on.
Oh and for some reason there was an official afterparty. Which was awesome. My friends The Vex played and it was really killer. But I don't get why there was an afterparty.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I joined in a climate march yesterday, that was quite fun. Wherever we passed a mcdonalds or starbucks there were police blocking the doors and windows. My favorite signs from the crowd were: A really big one that said "Just stop fucking everything up", one that said "GOD HATES (plastic) BAGS", and my very favorite, one with a picture of a penguin that said "Waddle we do?" That one had a cute girl holding it who smiled at me, that was nice. I really wish I'd brought a sign. Maybe "Be excellent to one another" or my slogan for the next election I run in: "More trees, less rape".
There was a guy playing a drum kit on the back of a rickshaw kind of thing, with two guitarist walking behind him and a singer. They had a guy with a ukulele who joined in, and later a dude with a trombone rocked up as well.
There was a group of angry anarchists, a guy with a sign covered in conspiracy theory nonsense followed by a nice big "WAKE UP!", and the smell of weed occasionally. We had 20'000 people. Last week New York had 400'000! Holy shit! So to be honest, I was kinda disappointed. The UK doesn't know how to protest any more. Why are we so apathetic? I'm totally guilty, I just turned up to see what was going on.
Oh and for some reason there was an official afterparty. Which was awesome. My friends The Vex played and it was really killer. But I don't get why there was an afterparty.

The afterparty is to make people less apathetic :p

Also: Change your photo :p It aint christmas, and you should probably commemorate your mod status

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
i don't know that i qualify as a celebrity in any sense of the word, but i look forward to cutting deep into other people's strategies! (and likewise experiencing the horror of having the same done to me :mad:)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
We say: everybody come to Brussels! Sub, you must not be too far. I'm was gunna go by for the weekend. Or something.
I live in the far north of the Nerherlands, in Groningen, which still is "only" a 4 hour drive from Brussels because Belgium and the Netherlands are both pretty small countries :) 4 hours is considered beyond "just visiting" range though. A matter of perspective of course, we're pretty spoiled with all the short distances...

Me and eric live maybe 5-6 hour drive from toronto to montreal, the closest comprably sized city. Unless you count Detroit which is a 3.5 hour drive on a good day!
Canada is ludicrously large and has some of the most concentrated population centers around!

Toronto (only the city and not it's greater metropolitan area) has a greater population than Ontario's neighboring province, Mantioba, and Manitoba's American sisters North and South Dakota combined with change left to spare! It always dwarfs me how depopulated northern north america really is, but I guess that has to do with it being full of transplanted white people and imports being really inefficient with shitty weather and much of it being landlocked.