GBS

VibeBox

Contributor
General Bullshit Thread
chit chat, chit chat
I get faded and hang out in chat threads, hope some of you do too

MTGO Cube is back is back up tomorrow! Lord knows it's a pile of shit excuse for a Cube, but I just can't help myself I'll be playing it anyway. I may end up streaming some of it with my room mate.
http://www.twitch.tv/vibeb0x

anyone else gonna be incinerating tix at an unreasonable rate?
any chance we could get a Riptide Lab crew draft together while it's live?

Dom Harvey

Contributor
MTGO Cube would be an excellent excuse not to revise for finals... but I can't get tix online as my debit card's being replaced -_-

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm.... tickets. I transfer via PayPal, which means I first need to put money in my paypal, which for some unknown reason takes like 4 days. I'm pretty sure there's a conspiracy here somewhere.

CML

Contributor
is lorwyn draft fun? i've done it twice and i hated it both times -- seems like OLS but you need a tribe to not get screwed -- but i wonder if i'm just wrong.

rip shadowmoor. sweet format. though for however much i've criticized modern card design its clearly better to have hugely popular and lame DGM than it is to have absurdly unpopular and awesome SSE.

VibeBox

Contributor
omg fucking kill me
this modo cube is such garbage

i've spent all day losing to terrible decks : -/

it's just depressing to draft with these scrubs knowing shit like "this mono red aggro player just beat me but i know for a fact that they let a sulfuric vortex table".

What have you been drafting?

Once I get my act together and post the list, you can wind down with a free, unhurried 2-man Winston of my online cube. I promise not to beat you with a Vortexless monored deck.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been told by a certain fan that I should go back to my caustic roots of ripping to shreds awful lines of cube logic. I have topic ideas, including, but not limited to:
Hybrids
Gold Cards
Sweepers
"Good stuff"
Density of Fixing
Power Max
Card Evaluation Discussions
Zac Hill
The MODO cube
Tim the Tool Man Taylor
Wurmcoil Engine
Ravages of War
Functional Similarity
Critical Mass
Celebrity Culture
Internet Dating
Statistics
Flavor Text
The Pronunciation of "LaPille" (Tom is way in the wrong here)
Shuffling (I'm looking at you Niki)
Lands in front of spells
Protection
Sideboarding
Games as a Service
Wurmcoil Engine

internet dating and celebrity culture confuse me. (who's zac hill btw ?)
Isn't it just the french "lA pille"
Lands are beside your spells. i don't know why nobody else decided this would be the most use-full setup.
Powermax will be a short adventure,as opposed to flavortext.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've been told by a certain fan that I should go back to my caustic roots of ripping to shreds awful lines of cube logic.

Count me in as a fan of your more strong-worded articles. Articles are way more entertaining when you know they'll offend someone, especially if those someones are just plain wrong.

CML

Contributor
i wouldn't read one article about WC engine, but two ...

as much as i love ripping people new ones, i'd err on the side of proposing alternatives here. i will say that hatchet jobs are too rare in mtg literature and, like gossip, criticism, reality testing, they're utterly necessary for any community to function.

i have a lot of stuff i've written about zac hill & can send it to you / post it here if you want a head start

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
i wouldn't read one article about WC engine, but two ...

as much as i love ripping people new ones, i'd err on the side of proposing alternatives here. i will say that hatchet jobs are too rare in mtg literature and, like gossip, criticism, reality testing, they're utterly necessary for any community to function.

i have a lot of stuff i've written about zac hill & can send it to you / post it here if you want a head start
Uh, well, I'm not actually trying to bring anyone specifically down. Half of the list was there just for, uh, humor purposes. But maybe I didn't succeed. Unless you really do think I'm going to write an article about internet dating. Let me say, there have been more ridiculous articles on Magic sites in the past...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Also when I see the letters "WC", that means "water closet" aka "restroom" here in Europe, so I was really curious about what that engine would be. Some sort of high-powered bidet? Now we're in Tim the Toolman Tailor territory.

VibeBox

Contributor
What have you been drafting?
mostly ramp because it's just better than every other deck in their cube. this wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for how i keep ending up in it.

at the start of drafts i'll usually stay open and pick on a combination of power and flexibility because i don't trust the people around me to draft coherently so i want to be able to react nimbly. seemingly half these scrubs seem to end up in blue because they don't actually get cube so they act on one of the only things they "know" which is 'blue card r totes better, right. blue is best color i should be blue'. so anytime i try to be in blue it dries up in a hurry and i have to jump ship or just like double splash some things to keep my power level on par.
red aggro is always wide open, but it's really bad in that cube and basically a trap so i don't bother. i used to draft more storm and reanimator but the changes to cube have continually eroded away enough key cards that those are significantly worse now and i usually don't bother.
so basically i end up wasting several picks only to have a table full of idiots pass me a 7th pick mirari's wake or natural order and then...welp. there's seriously so many cards that the playerbase just has no respect for that are so powerful that if no one is going to take them i'm basically priced into it.
half the time i end up with a really strong deck that will like turn 4 tooth and nail for woodfall primus and elish norn. the other half i end up with half a deck that can only win with it's perfect gimmick draw because it couldn't get utility spells in any color.

i'm starting to really also think that modo hates 41 card decks. i submit 41 about 65% of the time, always have. irl this has never been an issue for me, but on modo i routinely find myself losing because i miss land drops in my 19 land exploration deck.

as of now i've actually sworn off their cube and i don't intend to play it anymore until there is a major overhaul and not this window dressing bullshit.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I find it genuinely surprising the number of archetypes that can legitimately be described as "a trap" in the MODO cube. It's not just people Akbarring either.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, P.S. we can embed Youtube videos in threads. In case you were worried. And if you need some music for your company's on-hold line, may I make a recommendation?

EDIT: Actually, let's open this up to the audience. I defy any of you to find better on-hold music. How could you even get frustrated sitting on your phone listening to Daybreak? Customer satisfaction doubled, overnight.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, GP Antwerp (my current city of residence) is happening later this year (October I think?) and it's Modern. I need help picking a deck to play. My starting supplies:

2 of each Modern Fetchland
1 of each Shockland
1 of each Modern card that is used in cube

Lots of people who will lend cards that they won't be using for their own Modern formats.

About me as a constructed player:
I love mutlicolor fair decks, which are unfortunately the priciest. I tend towards tempo/control, and am less thrilled about combo or aggro decks. But I'm open. I need help picking a deck with a good fun:affordability ratio.

CML

Contributor
"Unless you really do think I'm going to write an article about internet dating." haha, the alyssa bereznak vs finkel ship has sailed. and your jokes were great. i failed to get them. but i won't next time!!!

you got my wc engine joke, see, you win that round too.

midrange modern is so goddamn expensive but with goyf and others being reprinted i think it'll be manageable by october. plus you can borrow some stuff from your bros!

some ideas:
my bw martyr
kibler's naya
melira pod
living end
4c gifts loam
loam pox
affinity
poison

VibeBox

Contributor
for a combo of fun and price you really can't beat the u/r combo decks in modern of which there are three
1. Nivmagus elemental aggro/combo. i play this from time to time on mtgo. it's intensely fun, very fast, and if you can afford the erayo, soratami ascendants than i think it's actually quite good.

2. pyromancers ascension . it's very good, but you'll catch a lot of random graveyard hate. i played it irl a couple of times, scrubs have no chance against your inevitability and flexability in sequencing.

3. blistercoil weird / paradise mantle combo i know least about this but it seems to be a real deck at least.

i dabble in modern from time to time despite being sworn off competitive magic because i think despite wizards' best efforts it's still a moderately interesting format with real possibilities for lines of attack. it even evolves at a reasonable pace, which is ultimately what keeps me coming back. i've been following metas for so long it's basically it's own hobby aside from magic itself. (i even play now then since magic is so cheap online) so i'm reasonably knowledgeable about modern and would be happy to point you to good lists for those archetypes.

if you're looking for something with a little more raw power to it i think the most powerful deck that isn't getting enough buzz is griselbrand reanimator. the fury of the horde engine is devastating, and i can't for the life of me figure out why they don't run pact of negations to back up their combo.

i know you said you don't like combo, but it's just usually better than everything except the super expensive "fair" decks.

loam pox is sweet. full of cards i love

edit: [placeholder to remind myself to post the hatebears brewed list]

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I've been working on this:
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Priest of Urabrask
4 Empty the Warrens
4 Faithless Looting
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Desperate Ritual
4 Pyretic Ritual
2 Grapeshot
3 Haze of Rage
4 Goblin Electromancer
4 Manamorphose
4 Steam Vents
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Sulfur Falls
4 Shivan Reef
6 Mountain
SB: 1 Storm Entity
The numbers are kinda rough atm but I think the basic idea is very strong. Nobody's playing storm hate any more or knows what you're trying to do.

CML

Contributor
it [loam pox] is pretty good, eating everyone's resources is not a bad way to win in a slower format with slower combo decks and control decks that love their mana. if you can stand losing to the random elephant surprise

edit: i support storm, storm zoo, dom's in between thing, and pyromancer ascension without storm, they're all pretty reasonable. nivmagus combo seems funny but when i put it together i fucking hated playing it (and i'm not all that picky, maybe you'll like it but wanted to present the possibility you won't). weird/mantle is unplayable