Hearthstone

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well... I'm 6-0 (or 7-0, didn't keep exact track) in Standard with Odd Rogue so far. That 2/2 weapon is really good!

41B6ED5C-8E8C-488C-83BF-7A19F833E8BA.jpeg

Valeera honestly isn't that good, but I'm having so much fun with the deck that I haven't bothered cutting her. Face Collector also is suspect, but I did win a game off it when I pulled Antonidas. All of the other cards have been great, and I've won some sick games, including one where I dealt 60 damage (that's face damage, not including taunts) to a Shaman with all the healing, and a match against a Hunter who scooped to lethal face damage on their turn four (the sequence was 1: Deck Hand / 2: Weapon (4 dmg) / 3: Deck Hand + Weapon (10 dmg) / 4: Deadly Poison + Deadly Poison + Cold Blood + Cold Blood (28 dmg) :D)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've also been having fun in Wild a bit with this wacky (and probably bad) list:

19206866-4804-472D-8F49-E3E590DFAFB0.jpeg
84EEC6C6-284F-4E44-BC80-BCB6C27B4BDC.jpeg

It's insane how much cards you can draw (starting on turn one), how much life gain you can play despite abiding by two restrictions, and how much late game value you have, again, despite those restrictions. In fact, Loot Hoarder probably is too much card draw, and I'm missing that hand size Dragon on 4, am I not? Volatile Elemental is also suspect, but I wanted more deathrattles for N'Zoth.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been crushing Arena, if that counts. I bought my girlfriend the pre-order for her birthday, been playing around with the Baku she opened. Paladin looks strong but she doesn't really like the class, so I don't think we're going to spend the dust on cards like Level Up.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I bought my girlfriend the pre-order for her birthday, been playing around with the Baku she opened. Paladin looks strong but she doesn't really like the class, so I don't think we're going to spend the dust on cards like Level Up.
Thanks for the tip Jason! Played four games against a range of decks and crushed all of them with the following list (slightly tweaked from the lists above):

91AAE92F-0429-48CA-9F5C-524F96708598.jpeg

Edit: I do think cubelock is probably unbeatable, but oh well :/

Do you guys still, uh, like the design of HS cards?

There's some pretty cool and flavorful designs in this set. I'm just getting sick of paladin's dominance. It's the best class in literally every format right now, by a decent margin. It puts up 55%+ win rates in standard, wild, and arena. I would say that Call to Arms needs a nerf, but now we have Baku paladin which doesn't even run it and that feels oppressive too. It just sucks because you can't let anything stick on a paladin board or else they are going to get huge buffs and run you over... but they have all these ways to generate huge spreads over and over and over. It's starting to irritate me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's telling that Paladin can still put up such numbers when it can't play ridiculous all stars like Tarim, Tirion, Call to Arms, Consecrate, and Spikeridge Steed. Like, Paladin has been a long time favorite of the devs, I feel, when you look at the legendaries the class gets compared to other classes. But all of them are even costed! And Odd Paladin still is superb!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
yeah, it's CoCoCo
Well, technically Call to Arms is a sorcery, so not quite CoCoCo, but it's still insane. Also, unlike in Magic, this actually improves your future draws by a serious margin because of the lower deck size and alternate mana system.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
When they pull like, a Knife Juggler, Loot Hoarder and Righteous Protector, it's almost impossible to interact with it favorably. CoCo you could at least counterspell...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
When they pull like, a Knife Juggler, Loot Hoarder and Righteous Protector, it's almost impossible to interact with it favorably. CoCo you could at least counterspell...
Technically the Mage can also Counterspell CtA ;) But yeah, the card is really, really powerful. Haven't encountered it too much yet, though. To be honest, I find CubeLock way more disheartening.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
To me the gameplay kind of shifted from "fun and interactive" to "get absurd value from everything". The amount of stuff that gets put onto the board with various recruit mechanics is absurd, and the "answers" haven't really kept pace.

Also, fuck Divine Favor.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Cubelock...

I know it's 10 mana, but most DKs are designed so that they represent a small tempo loss in exchange for some long term value gain that is accrued over subsequent turns. The Guldan Battlecry is so strong that people already paid 10 mana for a similar effect (N'Zoth), and the new hero power represents so much value turn after turn.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Re: Cubelock...

I know it's 10 mana, but most DKs are designed so that they represent a small tempo loss in exchange for some long term value gain that is accrued over subsequent turns. The Guldan Battlecry is so strong that people already paid 10 mana for a similar effect (N'Zoth), and the new hero power represents so much value turn after turn.

True, but at least they need to get to 10 in a deck that's full of self-damaging effects. It was always a race. Now Lackey or the Legendary weapon puts a 3/9 taunt on the battlefield that turns into three 1/3 taunts if you manage to kill it. If you don't, congratulations, they play cube on the next turn, kill it to gain 8 life, and have two of those 3/9 taunt fuckers. Oh, and way before turn 9! Like, Guldan isn't the problem.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
True, but at least they need to get to 10 in a deck that's full of self-damaging effects. It was always a race. Now Lackey or the Legendary weapon puts a 3/9 taunt on the battlefield that turns into three 1/3 taunts if you manage to kill it. If you don't, congratulations, they play cube on the next turn, kill it to gain 8 life, and have two of those 3/9 taunt fuckers. Oh, and way before turn 9! Like, Guldan isn't the problem.

I know it's not the problem, it's just a card that irks me. Most successful decks these days feel like varying forms of "vomit tons of stuff onto the board for little cost" in a way that you can't really keep up with reactively.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that's true. I like Guldan because he's one of the ways you can keep up (and come back from behind). I run him in an Even Warlock build that's fun to play. The demons it can get back are the 2/4 taunt, the 4/4 hooked horror, and the 6/6 that deals 1 damage to everything else as a battlecry. A lot more manageable than returning 3/9 taunts, 4/5 one-sided whirlwinds, and 5/7 charge minions. I do agree the effect is very powerful though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm curious for Tempostorm's meta snapshot coming Monday. I'm seeing a lot of warlock (cubelock and zoo mostly), paladin (dude and odd), and warrior (specifically odd fireplume warrior). I think the best even deck is warlock, but cubelock is still so powerful there isn't much of an incentive to go even warlock instead (except for the fact that it's fun to play).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think what frustrated me the most about this expansion is the lack of good cards to step for magic designs

Bogshaper.png Curse of Weakness.png Darius Crowley.png Dollmaster Dorian.png Duskbat.png Holy Water.png Voodoo Doll.png Whispering Woods.png

I'ld totally draft Dollmaster Dorian <3

Darius seems a bit pushed with its Hearthstone stats, honestly. I shaved off 3 health on most of the other minions, because health works differently in Magic (and all of those cards would be silly with +3 toughness), but a 4/1 Darius would be pretty pointless.

PS.