Sets Hour of Devastation Thread

100% speculation rn, but there's maybe evidence from Ixalan leaks that we get an enemy cycle of lands in HOU?? Based on them alternating between allied and enemy.

I really hope eternalize is always a "4/4 black zombie token" because that makes the double strike cat pretty frickin sweet as reach and beef for Wx fast-game decks
steadfastsentinel.jpg
adornedpouncer.jpg

thescorpiongod.jpg

This gets me a little excited for EDH. I like it as a value engine; however, there is not a lot of -1/-1 counter support. It also has some potential in cube, but as an archetype it would likely end up due to low number of support cards (I do not include infect as support) and potential for repetitive gameplay.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
dreamstealer.jpg

It looks like eternalize is probably going the way of megamorph: interesting enough, and technically does interact positively with a lot of things we already do, but also unwieldy in that it specifies that things cannot be small about the card.
Like that card is interesting, but 6 mana is a lot, and at that point 4 cards is probably overkill, and because of the rigidity of the mechanic, you can't really tweak the numbers at all.

In the same line of reasoning, I do kinda like megamorph (In as much as it's morph, which is interesting, and involves +1/+1 counters, something else I like) but you do lose something. The mechanic shifts the cards to being more weighted on the flip side of things, but I find it most interesting where there's also some value to casting the creature outright (Kinda like a reverse kicker effect). It also trends to the whole package being more expensive, since the creature has to be bigger. There's a lot of factors narrowing the possibility space to where you could be forgiven for writing the whole experiment off as a dud, since it's got less hits than the similar mechanic that you love.

I think in the back of my head this is how I feel about living weapon. 100% of the power level of living weapon cards being located on Batterskull and Batterskull alone was something I used to think was pretty tragic, despite a few intermittently interesting cards like mortarpod also populating the set, but when I started to experiment with the mechanic myself, it kinda went nowhere. At base it's a creature that leaves behind an equipment when it dies, but both halves of that place annoying restrictions on the other. The equipment has to feature at least one toughness, driving up equip costs, and the equipment that gets left behind typically doesn't want to be overwhelmingly powerful either (A lot of the issue with batterskull) since artifacts are more difficult to deal with, and further frustrating is such a wordy mechanic (in the animate dead sense, not the ice cauldron sense) restricts how complicated the card can be in the first place, assuming your players remember the "One Impactful Card" mechanic from god, 6 years ago now?

I wonder if that cat is the real solution: Replacement level front, but mythic over the top level backside. (Maybe I'm not hip to the new magic, but {3}{W}{W} for a 4/4 double strike seems roughly Verdurous Gearhulk levels of insane)

The cat seems like a great solution for white in GY formats, where other colors have multiple solid ways to recur advantage from the GY. White can run into major problems with Reach as the game drags on, and this is a superb way yo fill that.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I wonder if that cat is the real solution: Replacement level front, but mythic over the top level backside. (Maybe I'm not hip to the new magic, but {3}{W}{W} for a 4/4 double strike seems roughly Verdurous Gearhulk levels of insane)

I'm honestly not even sure how playable the cat is. Both ends feel to me like they play into medium to low floors, but allow for high ceilings, where as something like gearhulk is just consistently high powered.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm honestly not even sure how playable the cat is. Both ends feel to me like they play into medium to low floors, but allow for high ceilings, where as something like gearhulk is just consistently high powered.

I honestly couldn't think of an easier comparison for a 5 mana 8 power creature, since wolfir silverheart actually has 12 power :p
But hey, I do remember wanting fencing ace with some upside, and upside found once your initial creature rush has been wrathed off seems like the place to put it. I'm going to try it, at any rate. Just, you know. Worried :p